NBA totals

• Start date
  • Replies 23 Comments
  • Views 3,646 Views
The long mid-season stretch, and its general lack of motivation, is coming to an end, and gradually playoff positioning will start to dominate games. This is around the time of year when totals come into the picture for me, especially after the ASB.

To bet on a total I need three things. First, I need an over or underlay of 20 pts or more. I don't expect to beat the spread by 20 pts, but it gives me a good cushion. Then the type of game needs to be 'locked in'. If you get a completely different game of what you might expect, then the projection for the total is no longer realistic. But if the type of game is, more or less, clear, then the total projection is realistic. (it's still only a projection, though.. lol). I consider the game locked in when two independent factors both point at the same team beating the spread. I'm not betting on that side. Teams care a whole lot more about winning or losing, than about going over or under...

It is pretty common in sports betting that an approach works well one year and cools off the next. To blindly rely on past success is a quick way to lose money. Action points are a good way to measure how hot or cold a system is. For instance, I did get a win last night with an UNDER , but it beat the spread by only 2.5 action points. Last season this approach went 22-5, and the average action points were much higher. So it's still early. Once the action points start to go up I'll increase my bet size. Until then, 'experimental' or lowest bet size.

Forecast:
NY@MIN U210.5

*tequila toast*

Last edited:
Result: 203
Action points: +7.5

Nice work Dark Horse

Nice call. Put me up in the NBA today. Should have stayed away from NCAA :banghead:

Not a total, but I don't want to open a separate topic for sides. Second game in home and away series. MIL beat MIA on Saturday on their home court, and tonight MIA is ready to return the favor. This is where things get personal. No way Wade is going to let rookie Jennings steal his spotlight. MIA with revenge on their minds, backed by a sweet overlay of >20 pts.

Forecast:
MIA 1H -3
MIA -6.5

I try to avoid nights when teams don't show up. Man, was I wrong about Wade. MIA jumped out to 11-0 lead and called it a day. They shot 18% for the 1Q, trailed by 16 at the half, and didn't even have a 3Q run in them. I'm sticking to totals in this thread.

Side locked in, underlay for total of 20 or more points.

Forecast:
SA@POR U194.5

SA@POR U194.5
Result: 189
Action points: +5.5

Last edited:
I know how you feel DH. I had the over in 3 point shots in this game had line movement and everything on my side and miami mailed it in...... I could have arbed it for a nice -115 +150 ..... but I liked where I sat.

Just a side bet. Not the totals method I described. Halftime at NYK@CLE. Pregame total 201. Halftime total 128. 2H total 99. I'm taking the 2H Over 99. NYK can only run up and down floor, and CLE is up by 20 pts, so no reason for them to emphasize defense. The shootout may slow down some, but I'm trusting it will break 99 for the half.

Edit - so much for that. Just five minutes in, the offenses have completely shut down. They may not reach half the points. lol

Last edited:
Dark, Give me some insight into NBA totals..... I'm running 52.5 percent and just breaking even...... the sides I seem to be able to grasp the totals.... I almost should be fading myself.....

I'm not getting a lot of plays this year. They tightened it up. Used to get a lot of 20 pt overlays. Now it's rare. Maybe things change after the ASB.

2/16

Forecast:
PHX @ MEM U221.5

No play if total drops and closes at 221 or lower.

2/16

Forecast:
PHX @ MEM U221.5

No play if total drops and closes at 221 or lower.

220.5 at bookmaker now....... looks like a no play altho you can still get it at 221.5

I was naughty and followed...but at 220.5. Doin't be mad!