• Replies 22 Comments
  • Views 1,554 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Last night my gf was loading songs from the internet onto her ipod (or some kind of music player) and she mentioned the songs cost 99 cents each and sometimes $1.99 for current songs.

I was a bit shocked. I'm not a cheapskate but that seems very expensive to me.

So I sez, "I would have thought you could get stuff for free these days." And she said something about how you can on LimeWire but her computer security is set up to block it. (And actually I have heard some negative stuff about LimeWire in terms of viruses but I am vague about what I heard.)

So I sez, "What about torrents? Can't you do that stuff with torrents?"

She is not much less of a tech boob than me and she didn't even know what I was talking about with torrents.

So that is my question: can people get content for their music players for free (or at least cheaper)? I was thinking I could set up something for her on one of my computers whether it is Limewire or torrents or something else.

I appreciate any help.

I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer to choke up the .99

The artist spent a lot of time writing, arranging and producing the song. If I enjoy it enough to download it then the least I can do is pay .99 (or $1.29) for it. I try and put myself in the artists shoes: If I wrote "Song A", would I want people getting it for free? They don't give paintings away for free on the internet.

** The "well the record company just gets all the $$$$ or Artist A makes millions of $$$ anyway" argument has no validity in my eyes..... in case someone wants to throw that out there (not saying anyone will but just in case :kiss:)

Carry on.

Last edited:
Daft, your points are valid. I mainly use Vuze for illegally downloading movies and HD tv shows.

I prefer stealing from the movie companies more than recording artists.

I also should mention that god wants us to illegally download vgames/movies and music using peer to peer exchange networks like Vuze.

If he didn't he wouldn't have created the software that makes this possible. You know the same way god wants us to masturbate, if he didn't want us to masturbate he would have made our arms much shorter.

Daft, it's all logic, Spock would tell you so himself.

I am kinda with Daft on this but it doesnt change the fact that piracy is rampant because of the pure greed of record companies and movie studios.

I recall when the transition from vinyl to CDs occured they actually increased prices despite the fact that everything associated with the new medium (production, logistics etc) was cheaper for them. I am not saying that piracy would not exist if they were less greedy in the past but I am quite sure that Napster (and its current equivalents) would not have flourished in the way that they did.

I am actually with Daft too...I never get music illegally. I really think that I should be paying for the song, not to mention if its only .99 that is a bargain. Think of it this way...if you go to the bar and put some money in a juke box, the new ones charge around a dollar a credit and you hear the song once and only once. This way you are paying .99 for a song that you get to hear as much as you want.

Entire album on iTunes should be no more than $4.99 tops. $20 CDs give me a break.

Pirate away.

I have always thought jukeboxes to be one of the absolute worst uses of money ever conceived.

I am kinda with Daft on this but it doesnt change the fact that piracy is rampant because of the pure greed of record companies and movie studios.

I recall when the transition from vinyl to CDs occured they actually increased prices despite the fact that everything associated with the new medium (production, logistics etc) was cheaper for them. I am not saying that piracy would not exist if they were less greedy in the past but I am quite sure that Napster (and its current equivalents) would not have flourished in the way that they did.

Fair enough Dunder but I really think you're giving humans way too much credit here. Yes, part of piracy's birth was a product of record company greed.

But people download music for free because they like to not pay for things. Ethics are not mankind's forte.

When Person A sits down in front of his laptop to download music he does not have this conversation with himself: "Well, I'm going to go to this torrent site and download "Hell's Bells" for free because the record industry was greedy from 1940-1995".

They download it for free because they don't want to pay for it.

If you decide on the theft, microtorrent is an excellent bittorrent client.

i am a hypocrite; i have a network of friends where we share our databases, myself I can say that I do not download music.

now, i will never purchase from iTunes either.

i am a big collector of vinyl and most new pressings come with an electronic download, so from an iPod and sharing perspective thats pretty cool.

now my friends however, download shit all the time, so in turn i am supporting it, thus i am a hypocrite.

I pay for all of my music, which probably makes me a square.

I pay for all of my music, which probably makes me a square.

Nope. It just makes you a consumer. Nothing wrong with that.

MrX
If you decide on the theft, microtorrent is an excellent bittorrent client.

This is an interesting post because even though I'm very pro-pay for music, I'd be inclined to think it's more a copyright infringment than a theft.

Would you agree Mr.X?

Maybe both? Clearly the "sharing" aspect of the file-sharing would be copyright infringement, but what if you just downloaded without sharing?

Fair enough Dunder but I really think you're giving humans way too much credit here. Yes, part of piracy's birth was a product of record company greed.

But people download music for free because they like to not pay for things. Ethics are not mankind's forte.

When Person A sits down in front of his laptop to download music he does not have this conversation with himself: "Well, I'm going to go to this torrent site and download "Hell's Bells" for free because the record industry was greedy from 1940-1995".

They download it for free because they don't want to pay for it

As with most things related to economics, the micro translates to the macro. There is a minority who would take the free route no matter what, there is another minority who will pay no matter what. There is substantial majority however, who are influenced by just how much it costs to do the 'right' thing. Many of those who now routinely download from torrent sites would never have gotten into the habit had they not felt they were being ripped off 10-15 years ago.

All IMHO, of course.

If I want it I usually buy the CD, I have boughten, altho rarely music off the net. If I get it off the net I don't usually pay for it.