• Views 1,468 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Saw a couple of movies this week. Went out and saw

Crazy Heart. I liked it a lot. I immediately placed a bet on Jeff Bridges to win the Best Actor Oscar. I thought the movie itself was very good. I always feel a connection to movies with addiction themes provided they don't go way over the top with it. Here it was handled with flawless realism. There was good music in it, well-performed. 8 out of 10.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001). This was the first of the HP movies. I love the whole series and consider it right up there in the film-making highlights of the decade. I am 12 and it is right up my alley. I hadn't seen this one since it first came out so it was fun to revisit. The kids were still kids. I had forgotten what a delightful pain in the ass Hermione used to be. 7.4 out of 10.

On an aside, Emma Watson was the highest paid female actor of 2009. Daniel Radcliffe was the highest paid male actor and Rupert Grint was 15th on the Vanity Fair Rich List.

1. Michael Bay - �125 million
2. Steven Spielberg - �85 million
3. Roland Emmerich - �70 million
4. James Cameron - �50 million
5. Todd Phillips - �44 million
6. Daniel Radcliffe - �41 million
7. Ben Stiller - �40 million
8. Tom Hanks - �36 million
9. JJ Abrams - �36 million
10. Jerry Bruckheimer - �35.5 million
11. Tyler Perry - �32.5 million
12. Adam Sandler - �31.5 million
13. Denzel Washington - �31 million
14. Emma Watson - �30 million
15. Rupert Grint - �30 million
16. Owen Wilson - �29 million
17. Nicholas Cage - �28 million
18. Russell Crowe - �28 million
19. Cameron Diaz - �27 million
20. Brian Grazer and Ron Howard - �25.5 million

Supplemental Topic. Sandra Bullock is the favorite to win Best Actress. Is that right? I haven't seen her movie but Sandra Bullock? I generally like Sandra Bullock as a person. She comes across well in interviews. She seems like fun. But Sandra Bullock? I guess they gave one of these fucking things to Julia Roberts a few years back so obviously it is about more than just acting but Sandra Bullock?

Mudcat

In regards to bullock.. I thought The Blindside was an excellent film, I realize it is pretty shitty for them to make a movie of a guy who is only a rookie in the pros.. I mean he could be done next year. Does Bullock deserve best actress? I don't think she did a whole lot to make herself stand out but with that said I can't remember a lot of female performances this year that really make me say "man she was so good". If she wins it is not due to an amazing performance it is due to lack of other starlets having a big performance.

Memoirs of a Geisha - Not bad. I learned a lot as I really had no clue what the Geisha society was all about. Dragged a bit at times. The chick who plays naughty Hatsumomo is quite stunning. That was fun. Her name is Li Gong. I'd like to show her my gong.

gong_1_copy.jpg

upi.jpg

Mudcat

In regards to bullock.. I thought The Blindside was an excellent film, I realize it is pretty shitty for them to make a movie of a guy who is only a rookie in the pros.. I mean he could be done next year. Does Bullock deserve best actress? I don't think she did a whole lot to make herself stand out but with that said I can't remember a lot of female performances this year that really make me say "man she was so good". If she wins it is not due to an amazing performance it is due to lack of other starlets having a big performance.

Yeah I dunno. Meryl Streep has her annual nomination. I haven't seen Julie and Julia either but just as a general comment, Meryl Streep is so much better as an actress than Sandra Bullock. Sandra Bullock could not carry her jockstrap.

But since I haven't seen either film, I suppose it is possible that Sandra out-did her here. I mean, of course fucking not, but if I were to make a show of having an open mind, that's the sort of thing I might say.

Hard to believe Meryl Streep hasn't won since 1983.

I will be seeing Carey Mulligan in An Education in the next couple days. Not that I think she has a real shot at the Oscar but I hear good things.

Seeing Precious with nominee Gabourey Sidibe today.

I never realized that Adam Sandler was such a big deal. 30 mil in 2009, really? He still has that struggling-roommate-whose-rent-you-have-to-cover-every-other-month look to him.

I don't like Meryl Streep. It's like she gets Oscar nominations for being Meryl Streep. She should be asked to out-Streep herself to get further nominations.

I don't think I watched a single new movie since the last movie thread, apart from my brand new Blu-Ray copy of Paris, Texas which arrived in the mail last week. Stunning. If you're in the mood for a downer of a "road movie" with moody slide guitar and vast American landscapes, this cannot be topped.

Yeah I dunno. Meryl Streep has her annual nomination. I haven't seen Julie and Julia either but just as a general comment, Meryl Streep is so much better as an actress than Sandra Bullock. Sandra Bullock could not carry her jockstrap.

But since I haven't seen either film, I suppose it is possible that Sandra out-did her here. I mean, of course fucking not, but if I were to make a show of having an open mind, that's the sort of thing I might say.

Hard to believe Meryl Streep hasn't won since 1983.

I will be seeing Carey Mulligan in An Education in the next couple days. Not that I think she has a real shot at the Oscar but I hear good things.

Seeing Precious with nominee Gabourey Sidibe today.

Saw Julie and Julia with Dancegirl about a week or so ago. It was cute....I don't know how else to describe it. Streep plays the "strong" woman that is getting in on a man's world in Paris, France. She becomes a chef at a time when women were not supposed to be known as gourmet cooks. Their cooking was to be limited to basic household meals and baking. It was interest in a historical context as I really never know much about Julia Childs as a person and how she became as famous as she did. Obviously I knew of her recipes and how highly regarded they are but that is about it. All that being said it definitely made me consider trying some of the things that she cooked in the movie as they looked delicious and I actually love to cook. I will say that Streep was very watchable in the movie even with the annoying high "Julia Childs" voice. The writers definitely did a good job of making the movie interesting and infusing a little bit of humor when you least expected it to keep you on your toes. I wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to watch the movie but it is a decent easy watch.

Saw Julie and Julia with Dancegirl about a week or so ago. It was cute....I don't know how else to describe it. Streep plays the "strong" woman that is getting in on a man's world in Paris, France. She becomes a chef at a time when women were not supposed to be known as gourmet cooks. Their cooking was to be limited to basic household meals and baking. It was interest in a historical context as I really never know much about Julia Childs as a person and how she became as famous as she did. Obviously I knew of her recipes and how highly regarded they are but that is about it. All that being said it definitely made me consider trying some of the things that she cooked in the movie as they looked delicious and I actually love to cook. I will say that Streep was very watchable in the movie even with the annoying high "Julia Childs" voice. The writers definitely did a good job of making the movie interesting and infusing a little bit of humor when you least expected it to keep you on your toes. I wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to watch the movie but it is a decent easy watch.

Gay

Saw Book of Eli last night. Dark and gritty, but missed a sense of humor. Still, I could learn to wear a sword, shotgun, knife, and ax.

I don't like Meryl Streep.

This is where we need a wider variety of smileys. I find this statement so unacceptable that I want to illustrate my feelings with a smiley about ripping off Matt Rain's arm and beating him with it.

People really need to learn that I have the correct opinions and they should just go along with them.

This is where we need a wider variety of smileys. I find this statement so unacceptable that I want to illustrate my feelings with a smiley about ripping off Matt Rain's arm and beating him with it.

People really need to learn that I have the correct opinions and they should just go along with them.

I will be sure to smack matty for you in a couple weeks when I see him.....

Mind you, all I've seen is post-prime Streep. Haven't seen Mahattan or Deer Hunter or whatever else she's done, so I suggest mocking my lacking culture before you start ripping off limbs, k thx.

Streep is to actresses what Brando is to actors. Redefined the art.

I will say this for the Harry Potter kids:

They all seem to be working on developing their acting. Good for them. Daniel Radcliffe could probably get himself into any number of dopey Hollywood blockbusters for multi-millions but instead he is starring in challenging stage versions of Equus with his wiener hanging out.

Atta boy.