Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,165 Views
Song Exploder (Netflix)

If you are really into music or a songwriter, this show can be very cool at times. Or the episode just might be a about a song you really like.

They go all in depth about how the song came to be (the inspiration/songwriting/production).

My favorite episode so far was when they did REM’s “Losing My Religion”. The Alicia Keys one was quite good, too, and I had never even heard that song before watching the episode.

7.5 Trons

Song Exploder (Netflix)

If you are really into music or a songwriter, this show can be very cool at times. Or the episode just might be a about a song you really like.

They go all in depth about how the song came to be (the inspiration/songwriting/production).

My favorite episode so far was when they did REM’s “Losing My Religion”. The Alicia Keys one was quite good, too, and I had never even heard that song before watching the episode.

7.5 Trons
I watched the NIN/Hurt episode, t'was really good. 8.7 Matty Rains

Finished a binge of Great British Bake Off season (2020 Covid one) and it wasn't very good. I assume it was a compressed filming and unconventional lodging (they were in a bubble) but the level of competition wasn't up to the standard of previous seasons. Combine that with a lackluster replacement for MC Sandy and it was pretty much a dud.

5/10 Stevie Stars.

Finished a binge of Great British Bake Off season (2020 Covid one) and it wasn't very good. I assume it was a compressed filming and unconventional lodging (they were in a bubble) but the level of competition wasn't up to the standard of previous seasons. Combine that with a lackluster replacement for MC Sandy and it was pretty much a dud.

5/10 Stevie Stars.

my wife loves that show, I'll see if she watched the covid edition.

I love the piano portion of the intro song. it lasts about 4.3 seconds but it always makes me happy in my soul and balls

Cobra Kai is still an excellent guilty pleasure. I'm impressed by how the show is able to recycle and update 80's good vs. evil cheese with modern tropes without seeming too ridiculous.

This is very carefully crafted to please a wide audience. Smiles from start to finish.

Elizabeth Shue is aging like a fine wine.

8.5 Matty Rains for Season 3

Cobra Kai is still an excellent guilty pleasure. I'm impressed by how the show is able to recycle and update 80's good vs. evil cheese with modern tropes without seeming too ridiculous.

This is very carefully crafted to please a wide audience. Smiles from start to finish.

Elizabeth Shue is aging like a fine wine.

8.5 Matty Rains for Season 3
It was the most anticipated show of 2021 for me. It was fantastic. The writers know how to balance nostalgia and good story telling.

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)

No. :redx:

2.3 Matty Rains for a grown-up Mila Kunis's ample boobage

So there's this show I've been hearing about for awhile: PEN15.

I haven't seen it but consider it an outstanding name for a show. PEN15. I feel like I should watch it just on principle.

Apparently it's about the angst of 13 year-old girls. That's definitely not my thing. But it's a comedy and the girls are played by 30-somethings. There's obviously an absurdist element to it.

And it's called PEN15.

So there's this show I've been hearing about for awhile: PEN15.

I haven't seen it but consider it an outstanding name for a show. PEN15. I feel like I should watch it just on principle.

Apparently it's about the angst of 13 year-old girls. That's definitely not my thing. But it's a comedy and the girls are played by 30-somethings. There's obviously an absurdist element to it.

And it's called PEN15.
Very good show. Watched the 1st season.

I went into it assuming the absurdist element because the two thirty something creators are playing their 13 year old selves, while their costars are played by age appropriate actors. Turns out, when dressed the part and in character these two actually pass for middle schoolers. It's crazy.

There is an absurdist element to the show, but it's not mostly the casting.

It's an excellent show, by the way. One of my recent favorites. Very very funny, but also pretty insightful about the marks left by arguably the roughest period of growing up. I do tend to love coming of age stuff, though.

So I’m thinking about the “best” shows of all time and trying to decide which ones had ONE brutal season.

The Office Season 8 was just brutal. The Robert California year.

@Teela may disagree.

I wasn’t a fan of the last season of Mad Men either.

People say the last season of GOT was trash, but I thought a couple of the episodes were epic.

True Detective was the opposite. The first season was some of the best viewing ever, then it fizzled out after that.

Early Dexter was amazing, it declined in the latter seasons but I'm glad it's coming back.

True Detective was the opposite. The first season was some of the best viewing ever, then it fizzled out after that.
The last True Detective with Mahershala Ali was fantastic. I did skip Season 2.