Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 948,673 Views
Louie's acting has gotten quite a bit better. Not just passable but some actual good acting moments.

I still don't like Pamela Adlon. Her character is smart and makes all kinds of sense - I agree with a ton of what she says - well written character - it's hard to imagine how that smart, snappy dialogue could work as well coming from a different looking/talking actress - she's basically perfect - but in my heart, I would just rather never see her again.

:dunno:

Vikings season finale right now.

I keep hearing about this movie that is described as a wannabe Coen Brothers. Cut Bank it is called.

They say the writer and director are showing an obvious influence and there are actors the Coens have used. Billy-Bob. John Malkovich. Michael Stuhlbarg.

Oliver Platt was in the Fargo TV show which is a different kettle of fish but whatever.

Not sure how I feel about that. I love the Coens so it is a better thing to wannabe than a lot of things.

But the whole concept of wannabe doesn't sit right.

Blake Lively is a name I have been hearing for quite awhile. Over a decade, I'd bet.

I don't believe I have ever seen her in anything (besides commercials and internet pics).

Same for Megan Fox. Is Megan Fox fading away at this point? Kinda feels like it.

:dunno:

How bout that? Didn't realize as I made that post but Blake Lively has a new movie being released this weekend, The Age of Adeline. It's about a girl who is stuck at the age of 29 and never changes while the whole world carries on as normal. Like Ellen Burstyn plays her daughter.

Seems a longshot that I will ever see it.

Al Pacino turns 75 years old tomorrow.

He's got that recent movie where he's playing an aging musician, Danny Collins. The reviews suggest it is charming lightweight fare.

For the role, he says he channeled a combination of Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart.

Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart

762.gif

Pacino has actually done fairly well as an old actor. His portrayals in recent years of Phil Spector and Jack Kevorkian were both admirably dark and complex.

I believe he actually did a couple movies with Deniro - after it being a big thing for so long that they did so little together. Like they were both in Godfather 2 and Heat but I think there was a grand total of 1 scene together in the two of those.

So people kept saying that didn't seem right and they should really work together. And I think they finally did that. And then I think they did it again.

But it was too little too late.

Kubrick pretending to take a shot of Nicholson, but actually taking a selfie.

Okay. I guess I need to see this movie Wild. I guess I should download it.

I guess I should do that now.

Not a big Witherspoon fan and it comes off as a chick-coming-to-terms-with-stuff story - which doesn't sound that great when I say it like that.

But I got a hunch if I give it a chance ----> prolly pretty good.

Michael Shannon double-bill over the last couple days.

Very interesting actor that I like a lot so far. Seems to always play slightly - if not extremely - off-kilter characters.

The Iceman (2012) - Very straight forward telling of a true story about a man leading a double life between crime and family. Not deeply inspired but watchable.

6.8 out of 10

The-Iceman-review.png

Take Shelter (2011) - Trippy, moody, ambiguous movie. Good performances. It ended up being not quite what I thought it was about - and I was mad at the ending at first - but on further contemplation, I am liking it.

7.4 out of 10.

th

Walsh with a very rare and a more so narcissistic post, yes you had your day man calm down.

Iceman's great.

Watched Take Shelter tonight. Agreed great performances, Shannon always top notch. Ending I found not as good as the rest of the movie.

It took some contemplating and adjusting for me to accept that ending. The film seemed like it could be so many different things as it went along - turned out it was primarily educational. Almost a PSA.

Kubrick pretending to take a shot of Nicholson, but actually taking a selfie.

Some would argue this encapsulates everything Kubrick ever did. Pretending to address some subject matter but actually talking about himself.