Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,493 Views
I'd a thought Mr. Kim was somekind of Star.
when I 1st realized it was supposed to be in Toronto, I kinda started paying attention to perceived differerences in culture /world view.
:thinking: I think your multiculturalism works better than ours for one. Also your cities are depressing ghetto shit holes, just like here, but they don't seem to depress you as much.
I think our mulitculturalism works better because its actual multiculturalism and not a melting pot. Plus Toronto is a unique animal where over 50% of its residents were born outside of Canada.
Oh and Toronto is not a ghetto shit hole pal, them is fightin words!
Coolie there is no place i'd rather be than Toronto, its never depressing for me when I'm there, but then again I get quite nostalgic when it comes to my birthplace & hometown.

You want to visit a ghetto shit hole city? Try Buffalo NY, or Detroit or Miami. Then visit Toronto and tell me its a shithole.

I only mentioned Miami to get a rise out of TRON.

shutterstock_285832799.jpg

Last edited:
MrX
It's terrible. Had to stop watchin after 20 minutes.

You know what? I didn't think it was that bad. Heavy-handed with the melodrama no doubt - some dubious choices were made no doubt - but nowhere near the worst movie of the year and a clear death-knell for Ron Howard like some critics are piling on.

I kept expecting it to explode into really historic horribleness but it never really did for me. The list of movies I found harder to finish is long.

Not saying it's good. Just an unremarkable thumbs down. 4.6 out of 10. Something like that.

Sound of Metal is my personal favorite of the Best Picture candidates so far. I'm not gaga but it's the best of a not-super-strong bunch.

Quite a bit to think about in there and I like how I kept thinking I knew where it was going but I was wrong.

I haven't seen Minari yet.

Land & Sea - 20 seasons on CBC

The series documents the lives of Canadians who live on the natural resources of the eastern coast of the country.
They are the stories of people who keep the oldest traditions alive.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 101202.png
Screenshot 2021-04-05 101230.png

Started watching “How I Met Your Mother” and it’s not nearly as awful as I thought it would be. It didn’t reinvent the sitcom wheel, but it’s better than Friends.

Started watching “How I Met Your Mother” and it’s not nearly as awful as I thought it would be. It didn’t reinvent the sitcom wheel, but it’s better than Friends.
Good portrayal of NYC life

New Ken Burns documentary Hemingway (2021) is so good. What a life.

it sucks

Whats with the Kobra Kai? Kids beating the shit out of each other, bullying, all sorts of terrible shit. How's that ok? But calling Indians (...I don't know what they called them) in a Western, gets beeped out now. :polaroid:

Like what? I probably don't watch it. ...But I know there's a lot of dumb gratuitous stupidity out there, Youd think that they'd draw the line at child abuse :dunno:

Okay so Margaret Qualley is fully on my radar. I've been aware of her for awhile now but after watching My Salinger Year ---> she's really got something. Really good.

The movie itself I liked, but I'm not going to strongly recommend. Definitely not for everyone.

But I'm interested to see what she does next and after that and after that . . .

Whats with the Kobra Kai? Kids beating the shit out of each other, bullying, all sorts of terrible shit. How's that ok? But calling Indians (...I don't know what they called them) in a Western, gets beeped out now. :polaroid:
Kobra Kai is awesome.
That show can do no wrong.

It's Cobra Kai with a C and it's telling kids that you should stand up to bullies, and that you'll probably be someone's bully yourself at some point, and that this shit doesn't end with school.

It's not that deep a show but I think it's covering the bullying aspect pretty well.

Really? Seems to me it's sending about as wrong a message about bullying as possible. If anything it's legitimizing bullying.

...not that I don't enjoy some aspects of the show. Namely the way they link the past and present, and the relationships between the adults

Watched the end of Shameless last night.

Crazy to see how young those kids were when it started.

Also completed Your Honor. Great lil mini series.