Maybe I'll become a fan

• Start date
  • Replies 83 Comments
  • Views 4,946 Views
I got laid off from my job in November and won't be working again for a few more months anyway.

As for why no more gambling: to do it properly - the way I know how to do it - requires bankroll and time. I don't have the bankroll and I have so many other things I find more interesting to spend my time on.

If you have time to post on a forum about nothing you have time for gambling.

Gambling is about as compelling to me as putting away pallets with a forklift truck. It's one part of a job I used to have. If someone wants to pay me enough, I'll do it again but otherwise I'll be focusing my time on things which are interesting.

Us vs. Them

People like to live vicariously through imperfect heroes. Your favorite player is your avatar, his struggles and victories are yours.

Of course that prolly doesn't mean much when you're an American fan rooting for an expansion team full of Canadian players.

I don't know why people root for the Ducks. You tell me.

I think people vote for them because its an activity that takes them away from their lives and problems. Why does Plommer follow the Blue Jays? They have no Canadian players that I'm aware of. I'm not sure how the Montreal Canadians market, but I'm sure they promote the Hell out of the French-Canadian players. I remember a thread a couple of years ago here I asked if Montreal would support a cup-winning team if they were English-only. I have noticed the Canadian hockey fans follow Canadian-born players throughout the NHL much greater than US fans. US hockey fans only care about winning and don't care where they come from.

I'm not sure how the Montreal Canadians market, but I'm sure they promote the Hell out of the French-Canadian players.

Nah. They would if we had a natural scorer in the same lineage as Lafleur and Richard. Only two middling Quebecers on the team right now (Desharnais and Bouillon) and they don't get any special treatment. RDS might go to them a bit more often for between-period interviews but that's mostly for convenience.

Most popular guys on the team right now are Price, Subban, Gionta & Galchenyuk. Montreal fans like passionate/flashy players, regardless of origin.

I just root for Russians so the smugish North Americans get their ass kicked. It doesn't work because they have an uncanny ability to forget when they lose and only remember when they win. :grin:

Seriously though, a lot of it has to do with nostalgia from childhood. In the NHL I will switch teams constantly depending on the style they play, where the players I like move to, and if they've been good (predictable) to me betting wise.

But the Cowboys? gtfo. whats the appeal there?

(Bouillon is American-born, and half-black, but he played his junior in QC and he speaks like one of us. Close enough. :nigerian:)

There's something magical about being in cities like Madrid, Porto, Eindhoven and many others, with your mates, out on the ale and trying to pull slags. Throw in Liverpool matches for some boss banter and you wouldn't ask for more.

Muddy comes across as a glory-hunter (bandwagoner) in this thread.

I think people vote for them because its an activity that takes them away from their lives and problems. Why does Plommer follow the Blue Jays? They have no Canadian players that I'm aware of. I'm not sure how the Montreal Canadians market, but I'm sure they promote the Hell out of the French-Canadian players. I remember a thread a couple of years ago here I asked if Montreal would support a cup-winning team if they were English-only. I have noticed the Canadian hockey fans follow Canadian-born players throughout the NHL much greater than US fans. US hockey fans only care about winning and don't care where they come from.

Brett Lawrie is Canadian but not the reason I follow the Jays.

I follow the Jays because of tradition. I'm a Toronto born and raised guy that worked at Blue Jay games as a kid in the late 70's early 80's and have always loved following the team.

The Leafs are in my blood. Watched games with my dad as a kid, the Leafs were his team and I followed suit.

I hope all the teams based in Toronto do well, I'm a Torontonian.

When i lived in Vancouver I was never a Canuck fan, always a Leaf fan, could never understand how someone from here could cheer for a team from somewhere else over the local team. If you are from Calgary and live in Toronto I understand why you would cheer for the Flames but if you are born and raised in Toronto and cheer for the Bruins I find it strange.

I think Plommer you were motivation behind Muddy wanting to be a fan again with last night's rooting the Leafs on! Good job sir!

Muddy, the Habs? I thought you're from the Toronto area?

I think Plommer you were motivation behind Muddy wanting to be a fan again with last night's rooting the Leafs on! Good job sir!

Muddy, the Habs? I thought you're from the Toronto area?

Habs fans pee sitting down.

If he really is a fan of the Habs he would never switch to another team.

The Canadiens were hugely popular outside of Quebec because of their success, everyone loves a winner but that was years ago, they haven't been very good for a long time now.

Canadiens fans routinely would remind Leaf fans of their success and mock us, hence the dislike of the Canadiens by Leaf lovers. Now that Montreal is a horrible team they are more likeable.

Watching the Leafs go in to Montreal and bitch slap them in every way is true joy for me.

Leafs are hated in Canada because they get the most coverage and attention. There are Leaf fans everywhere in Canada. If you are at any Leaf away game anywhere you will see large numbers of Leaf fans. Just like Yankee fans in baseball.

Last edited:
What is a Hab? Serious question.

Lots of sociopathic Habs fans in Toronto. I should be getting a lot more shit for all the Habs stuff I wear/carry around.

Once I went to pick-up a rental car and the guy said "I'm sorry, but we have a 25% surcharge for Habs fans." I fist-bumped him for being a proper fan. Torontonians as a whole have kind of given up.

yeah, it seems Muddy's fanning is not up to par and likely to be a failure. Better stick to pallet pushing.

What is a Hab? Serious question.

Short for habitant, which is an obsolete slang term for French Canadian.

habitant.jpg

Oh, ok.

plommer, I'm a Blue Jays fan this year too. Totally serious.

Love the uni's too.