• Replies 83 Comments
  • Views 4,990 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I have very little interest in gambling any more. Maybe I should go back to having favorite teams and root, root, rooting for them just because.

Whether that means returning to those favorite teams I had as a kid and all through my drinking years, or getting new ones, I don't know.

I'm there with the Blue Jays. I'm ready to go. Just give me something to cheer for.

Other than that though, I don't know. It's hard to see being a Dallas Cowboys fan again. Habs? Ehh I guess maybe. It would help if they would become just a bit more relevant so I could dunk my toe in and see how it feels.

I actually cheered for the Lakers in the 70's/80's. As with the Cowboys, it's hard to imagine returning to that.

As for college foots and hoops, I don't recall ever having favorite teams. I could start from scratch and cast out my line and spend my life waiting for something good to happen with my teams.

Maybe I'll become a fan.

I wonder if I could pull it off.

Brooklyn Islanders

I don't understand the concept of fans. What are you rooting for?

The logo on the chest?

The corporations?

The sponsors?

Go Billionaires!! Take more of my money to be become extra filthy rich!!

Go!!!

I think gambling killed me off sports permanently. Been watching a lot of nuggets games lately though.

Muddy are you working? Why no more gambling?

On further thought, I am ready to cheer for the Raptors. I did cheer for them a little bit in their brief moment of relevance (I believe they have had 1 playoff series ???)

I could get behind them if they would get it together a bit.

I don't understand the concept of fans. What are you rooting for?

Us vs. Them

People like to live vicariously through imperfect heroes. Your favorite player is your avatar, his struggles and victories are yours.

Of course that prolly doesn't mean much when you're an American fan rooting for an expansion team full of Canadian players.

I don't know why people root for the Ducks. You tell me.

I got laid off from my job in November and won't be working again for a few more months anyway.

As for why no more gambling: to do it properly - the way I know how to do it - requires bankroll and time. I don't have the bankroll and I have so many other things I find more interesting to spend my time on.

I think gambling killed me off sports permanently. Been watching a lot of nuggets games lately though.

Lovin you some Iggy, Rito? I've always been a fan of his and even though when Bynum becomes more than a pile of fubarred looking hair things might be a little different the result of the trade have been hysterical. Yeah, he might be good. I like that team too.

Last edited:
I could never be a diehard fan. With all due apologies to whomever, those guys are fags.

Become relevant and I might pay attention but if anyone expects me to recite the Raptors' current roster complete with stats - no, I'm heterosexual.

Us vs. Them

People like to live vicariously through imperfect heroes. Your favorite player is your avatar, his struggles and victories are yours.

Of course that prolly doesn't mean much when you're an American fan rooting for an expansion team full of Canadian players.

I have never considered myself a superfan at any point.

I suppose attaching yourself to a hometown you grew up in, makes some sense in my mind, especially when it's a fairly small and random one.

Fans that only follow their team and know nothing else about the rest of the league annoy me for some reason.

Most fans are stupid for the most part.

Fags, like muddy said.

I appreciate old grandma super fans for some reason. It's kind of cute.

I will always root for my hometown teams.

Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors, Argos, Rock etc.

(Spending money on them is a different story)

Us vs. Them

Also does every thread have to turn into a race war with you people??

What does Canadian players on expansion teams have to do with anything.

A lot of the Habs and Leafs are good ol boys..

I find it hard to root for anyone or anything outside the Habs. Everyone my age grew up listening to their Dad's fond memories of the killer team we had in the 60's and 70's. Watching footage of Guy Lafleur outskating everyone, looking at pictures of Maurice Richard's crazy bulging eyes (they actually taught Maurice Richard's story in elementary school! We had a Maurice Richard textbook!), then winning that Cup in 93 after losing the first 2 games to the evil Nordiques, all that stuff made a strong impression on us little Frenchie kids.

I enjoy watching sports without necessarily rooting for anyone. But if you were a Frenchie kid who grew up in Montreal and you claimed to be a Bruins/Leafs/Flyers fan, I sincerely thought you were fucked in the head. I still do.

Also does every thread have to turn into a race war with you people??

What does Canadian players on expansion teams have to do with anything.

Race war? Common man.

Point is, a big part of my Habs fandom is based on tradition/folklore.

I can kinda root for a random NFL team (I like the 49ers) but I have no real attachment to them. When watching anything else than hockey I'm just hoping for solid entertainment.

It was outstanding being a Habs fan growing up. The 70's were incredible. So many thrills. Then there was The Cup reprise in 86 and again in 93.

Right around 1993 was a great time to be a BlueJays/Habs/Cowboys fan.

I think at one point, my teams won 5 straight championships. Jays 92 & 93. Aikman Cowboys. 93 Habs.

And I wasn't pretending - I was a real lifelong fan of all those teams. I was genuinely thrilled every time.

You'd think I would have been hooked on fandom for life but it was soon after that that I ditched it all.