• Replies 19 Comments
  • Views 971 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Wondering if you have any thoughts on a situation where I work.

It's pretty simple. We need bilingual (French/English) call center people - for our Milton location - and are having a helluva hard time getting them. Apparently we are actually having a lot of it done in the fucking USA which seems like a completely unholy state of affairs.

Americans? Doing our French/English stuff? My god. :facepalm:

Whatever, we are expecting the Quebec market to explode - and there is a huge push going on with all kinds of incentives for referrals - I wondered if, based on your experience, you had any wisdom to share on the topic.

Hmmm, fair chance you are going to ask me how much it pays. I don't know. Can probably find out.

I had major trouble finding French people to work for me at Worko too. Fact is, French speakers don't move to Ontario in large numbers. Those who do tend to be ultra-specialized workers who have no use for a call center job, or even a mid-level copywriting/editing job.

I assume that the job is on-site. You would have much better luck hiring Frenchies to work remotely, but most companies aren't equipped for it or willing to do it.

I dunno man. I assume that the pay is mediocre too.

I would suggest dropping the "Quebec French" requirement from your job posting if you guys went with that. Any French speaker will do for a phone job - Quebecers are used to Euro and African French.

Bonne chance, mes amis.

BTW I ended up subcontracting to a QC firm. I suspect y'all might have to do the same if you wanna move away from 'murica.

Mediocre is in the eye of the beholder (as far as pay).

I bet it pays pretty well from my perspective. I'm even thinking I could possibly resume my French studies and look at it for myself down the road. I'm going to ask them about that when they follow up with me. Which they will. They got very serious when I mentioned how I had joshed around with a bilingual person about how you could earn me a bonus by investing a teeny-tiny 6 months of your life - but the HR people heard that and turned dead grave - wanted to know who the fuck you are - sent me on a follow-up mission - which I interpreted as, start a thread a gamelive.

But yeah, no - they will follow up.

The company has all kinds of continuing education stuff in the benefits package. So who knows? Could be a path.

Be happy to help them with French content/marketing through Yackler, but I ain't commuting to Milton on the regular, or taking a desk job for that matter. I appreciate the thought though.

Name your price Matty, something ridiculous, who knows if they are desperate enough

Name your price Matty, something ridiculous, who knows if they are desperate enough

Fine, I'll do it for $120k. It probably pays half that at best. I'd need to get a car and say goodbye to my rockstar lifestyle.

Odds that this works out seem dangerously close to zero.

Fine, I'll do it for $120k. It probably pays half that at best. I'd need to get a car and say goodbye to my rockstar lifestyle.

Odds that this works out seem dangerously close to zero.
Wife+kid=rockstarlifestyle?

:martybeingsarcastic:

I drop off my son at daycare at 9am, go home, email suppliers and business partners, do some research and shit, then head out at noon for a motorcycle ride around town. Grab lunch wherever, come back home, jerk off, play some guitar, spend a couple hours on a 500-word article that'll bring in $500*, then the wife and kid come home and I make dinner.

I ain't going back to a desk job if I can avoid it.

*Okay, that's not a daily thing.

Matty, IMO lots of stay at home rock star potential in you! Hopefully you can whip up something special in the kitchen? :dunno:

gallery_ozzy-osbourne-metal-years.jpg

MrM gets it!

I just made and ate seared salmon with salsa verde on a bed of cracked wheat and baby spinach.

[insta]BS1_TI-h8nC[/insta]

Not my pic but it looked 90% as good as that. #chefsplate

I wonder how fast I could get fluently bilingual. A one hour class one evening a week sure ain't gonna do it - but I bet there are resources and techniques these days.

:thinking:

Constant exposure to the language for years.

If your goal is to be able to do customer service over the phone, you can probably fake it after several months of lessons.

That's what I'm thinking.

I have some french. I remember taking some job training in Boucherville in a previous life - and I was able to communicate not just with my warehousing brethren - who knew my situation and were making allowances - but also just out and about. I was making it a point to speak as little English as possible - restaurants and whatnot.

I could make myself understood. I would not be starting from scratch.

Maybe I could have Uline pay to train me up - and get me into one of those positions - then leave for something that pays more.

:muddy: