Mark Zuckerberg should be hung by his toenails for a week

• Start date
  • Replies 66 Comments
  • Views 5,821 Views
Shari how many nationalities you claim? I liked it when you were Canadian, American, Australian now we find out you are also from the mighty Ukraine. No one messes with Ukraine here.

Pavy - for the 50th time: I was born in Canada. Canadian citizenship. My father was born in the States. American citizenship. I live in Australia. I am a resident, NOT a citizen. One side of my family is from the Ukraine (my maternal grandparents). Hence when people ask my heritage I am 1/2 Ukrainian, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Irish as this is where my grandparents came from. That's how we (or at least the people I grew up with back home) reflect our heritage despite where we were born as Canada is just one multicultural stew anyway. When someone asks my citizenship - Canada and the US as those are the countries where I am a legal, voting citizen.

You see Shari. We don't need to be Facebook buddies. You are giving us daily feeds here at GL in plain view.

:shari:

Facebook is becoming a parralel Internet. It's a monster. Companies are using it and Twitter as their main target for advertising.

You see Shari. We don't need to be Facebook buddies. You are giving us daily feeds here at GL in plain view.

:shari:

You asked me a question you asshole! And also implied that I'm full of shit. Also I don't even post here every day. :lmao:

I'm just going to start lying or avoiding questions altogether if I don't like them. I've never been that great at either skill but it's about time I learn to perfect them. They seem to be a necessity for Forum Excellence 101.

Dave, I agree with your statement that I do have the choice to both use the site in the first place and also in how I choose to deal with those people on my friends list. Facebook has been very helpful to me in some aspects - considering I've lived in more countries in the past 10 years than people have taken a shit in that time, it's a very useful way for me to keep up with friends old and new. A major issue I face, and I fully realise that it is solely my issue, is that I feel both guilty at the thought of hiding someone's posts and worry that I will miss something of interest to me or important to a friend. Don't even get me started on deleting people. I can't see me ever having the guts to do that unless you knock me up and stick me with 100k in bills. Again, totally my own lack of ballsiness coming to the forefront here.

I think what's finally tipped me over the edge is that these social networking sites seem to bring out the narcissist in a lot of people. Along with that is that some people choose to use it as a vomit pool for any thought that crosses their mind. Maybe it's just my problem. The sad realisation that when I peel back the layers of some of my friends the gloss wears off no matter how they conduct themselves professionally and in social situations, and irregardless of how long I've known them. On a forum I don't care how silly, immature, uneducated or simply misguided one presents themselves. At the end of the day, other than the people I've spoken to off of a forum environment everyone is just a name and an avatar. I didn't choose you and you didn't choose me so your effect on my life is literally zero. But this whole sharing every single thing, 24 hours a day, just seems bizarre to me. What's the point of my going to meet you for a drink when I already know the toppings you've had on your pizza last night, that you've ditched Colgate for Crest and you have an ingrown toenail?

Fair enough. The simple truth is that even if you are an exception to the rule, most people have this weird fascination with what other people are thinking/doing. That's why twitter is so popular, and why these types of "OMG I'm standing in the LONGEST line" status updates are constantly being validated by "OMG I was just in one the other day" and "Thank God for 10 items or less lines! LOL!" You shouldn't feel guilty of using the hide feature. If it's a close enough friend, you won't have any desire too, and if something important happens to one of these other friends, you will surely hear about it some other way. It isn't like they won't bring it up the next time you talk to them on the phone/see them anyway, even if they updated about it a dozen times in the last few hours.

I just had a huge purge and deleted half of my "friends". I'd highly recommend it. No ballsiness required; 95% of them won't notice as they have so many friends and status shit anyway, and the 5% that do will re-add you and you can say "Oh, thats so weird, facebook must have fucked up". Besides, if they are being considered for deletion, chances are you aren't that close anyway.

I think your true friends are worthwhile even under all the gloss. For the ones that aren't, why pretend?

Facebook is becoming a parralel Internet. It's a monster. Companies are using it and Twitter as their main target for advertising.

Truth. I'm amused at how grossly under-utilized it is by some, and how off the mark it is utilized by others. That isn't stopping EVERYONE from diving in, for better or worse.

I put myself on the side of thumbs down for Facebook. Tried it for awhile - deactivated.

It's all a little much. I ignore 90% of what's happening in my FB account, it's just too overwhelming. Baby updates aren't nearly as bad as those stupid games that I have to block manually every time a new one pops up.

It's OK Shari. I know these tennis bets are stressing you out. I almost had a meltdown last night betting on a football game. Gambling does weird things to your state of mind.

It's OK Shari. I know these tennis bets are stressing you out. I almost had a meltdown last night betting on a football game. Gambling does weird things to your state of mind.

Goofball. After 2 bad days last week where for the first time in my life I felt I may have been cursed (3 3rd set tiebreak losses), my gambling stress levels have returned back to normal. Non existent. :)

Dave - thank you for the advice. I can admit I probably won't have the guts to delete anyone for awhile but I guess I really do have to start hiding people at the very least. Any benefits I realise from the site have started to become grossly outweighed by the annoyance I feel whenever I log in and that's just not cool.

Dave - thank you for the advice. I can admit I probably won't have the guts to delete anyone for awhile but I guess I really do have to start hiding people at the very least. Any benefits I realise from the site have started to become grossly outweighed by the annoyance I feel whenever I log in and that's just not cool.

Sure thing; I felt the same way, thus the purge. I also invited anyone annoyed by me or my status updates to remove me. Try to trim the fat, it's liberating. Hiding updates doesn't mean you can't stop in on their profile every now and then to check in on what formula their kid is drinking.

Nope, never lived there. Have visited there though - I'm half Ukrainian so I took a trip when I was living in Europe.

Did someone say I did??!

oooh, which half?

Facebook is more trouble. That's my point. If I haven't spoken to someone in years, I have ways to look them up or get their number from someone. And if that's the case, I probably won't speak to them much in the future either. The extra few minutes it takes to get their contact information is a lot less than the time I would have collectively spent on Facebook. If I have spoken to them recently, they're in the address book of my phone and I'll just text or give them a call. I have absolutely no use for it.

But I'm curious. At what point do you think it's more practical to use Facebook to communicate something to someone than a phone call or text? Maybe, I'm just not that social and I figure that many people are like me and don't care about my trivial day to day happenings.

Monkey wanker has a point: if you are as anti-social as he is, why spend time at a pro-social site?

He only posts at sports forums to throw shit at folks, so on facebook they'd simply remove him as a "friend."

Monkey wanker has a point: if you are as anti-social as he is, why spend time at a pro-social site?

He only posts at sports forums to throw shit at folks, so on facebook they'd simply remove him as a "friend."

I love how people I've never talked to seem to think they know me. Fascinating.

'No one is going to give a fuck' where you post at all and it's nice that you choose to post here. Off the top of my head there are three professional gamblers posting here as well as The Legendary Tomato who bets anything, including tennis, aside from his proper job. If you want more tennis content then please start a thread, there are enough real (as opposed to pretend) gamblers here who might be interested in what you have to say.

this

start a trend shari

MF, did you talk to inthehole at last years bash?