Land of the Free: It is now illegal to unlock phones...

• Start date
  • Replies 18 Comments
  • Views 1,522 Views

MonkeyF0cker

Mean People Suck
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Unlocking Your Phone Is Illegal Starting Tomorrow

Eric Limer

You may remember that last year, the DMCA exemption on unlocking phones was smacked down. Well it's going into effect this Saturday. So starting tomorrow, unlocking your phone will be officially illegal. Yay.

Unlocking phones without the express consent of the carrier who locked them became illegal thanks to edits to DMCA exemptions back in October, but it's only now that the 90-day grace period is running out. Locked phones purchased in the 90 days after the ruling are still game to be unlocked, but from here on out, for an unlocked phone to be legitimate, it'll have to have been bought that way or come with a permission slip from your carrier.

It's not the first time retracted DMCA exemptions have threatened to mess with your ability to mess with your phone. Jailbreaking and rooting almost became illegal again because of DMCA exemption changes. Fortunately, the same batch of modifications that illegalized unlocking will also protect phone jailbreaking for another three years. But it's still not allowed on tablets. Not than anyone is likely notice that particular indiscretion.

These changes won't, of course, limit you ability to unlock phones anyway, but it will give carriers a bit of a heavier stick to wave at you if they catch you using an unlocked phone they didn't authorize; they can tell. There are also a few technical loopholes. Legacy phones, i.e. "used (or perhaps unused) phones previously purchased or otherwise acquired by a consumer" are still cool to unlock, and that definition has a little bit of play in it. But the practice of unlocking your carrier-discounted phone is still going to be a crime, so get ready to deal with this brave new world, or live the life of an outlaw.

http://gizmodo.com/5978982/unlocking-your-phone-is-illegal-starting-tomorrow

Gee. I wonder what shithouse corporation was behind that "decision."

MonkeyF0cker.........MOVE TO CANADA. You are welcome here buddy.

Fuck we welcome terrorists with open arms so you get a south of the border neighbour pass and we'll give you a monthly cheque courtesy of myself, Plommer, Frenchie and the other Nucks on here.

It's pretty difficult to think of any legislation that's been passed in the last, say, decade that's actually been a positive thing for the US. All that comes to mind for me is some states legalizing gay marriage, marijuana, and sports betting (although that appears to be on its way to being defeated in court). So that's three examples of positive legislation versus about 30 million examples of unnecessary, freedom-killing, bullshit legislation. Worst part is, so few people seem to give a shit about it. FFS. I need a drink now.

if we can't control and profit from our individuals hard work and intelligence well just call it illegal till we can.

-US Government, land of innovation, if we life you

if we can't control and profit from our individuals hard work and intelligence well just call it illegal till we can.

-US Government, land of innovation, if we life you

i.e. Black Friday of Poker. :greencheck:

A terrorist or criminal with half a brain knows to stay away from anything that identifies a pattern so besides catching those too cluelss to get it right it's simply another stab at the body of democracy...

A terrorist or criminal with half a brain knows to stay away from anything that identifies a pattern so besides catching those too cluelss to get it right it's simply another stab at the body of democracy...

As I see it I don't think it's in the name of security, more to protect sales.

I would be pissed.......................................if I even knew what unlocking and jailbreaking were.

That's a pain in the backside one could do without.

Roguey how was your day pal?

I slept all Saturday afternoon and woke up at midnight. Went to the Cuban pizzeria to buy sandwiches and have been watching a classic Japanese drama all night, Iguana no Musume. xp I miss our AFL nights.

Iguana_no_musume.jpg

I slept all Saturday afternoon and woke up at midnight. Went to the Cuban pizzeria to buy sandwiches and have been watching a classic Japanese drama all night, Iguana no Musume. xp I miss our AFL nights.
On the face of it the plot line for that shows seems a little different. A girl that thinks she's an Iguana??

Miss afl also, but couple months time the ball will be bounced in anger once again.

Roguey i gotta go here before i die:
There's a documentary on this. If you want to learn more about food i suggest you give it a gander, if you havent already done so...

nice, fischy is out there right now, he's living the life man

saw this on friday, 24 hrs. in Marunouchi, vids are not there yet but they'll add them in a couple of days, they show some night food joints in that district http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/tokyoeye/archives.html

a girl that is an iguana, the daughter of an iguana princess turned human, only the mother and her can see their true selves.

Drinking and driving is not illegal if you don't get pulled over. So try not to get caught when you unlock your phone.