Ken Griffey Jr. And The Art Of The Power Nap

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
The Tacoma News Tribune today reported that last week Seattle Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was asked why he didn't make use of Ken Griffey Jr. in a pinch hitting situation late in a game and Wakamatsu was vague in his answer. Two unnamed Mariners players were slightly less vague.

He was asleep in the clubhouse, noted one of the players. Hed gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didnt come back. I went back in about the seventh inning and he was in his chair, sound asleep.

The second player gave further clarification.

He doesnt sleep well at night, hes away from his family, hes comfortable in the clubhouse, he said. They could have awakened him

Seattle entered the week batting .229 for the season despite Ichiro skewing the figures by hitting .326 - which puts them 27th out of the 30 major league teams; not surprisingly they are worse for runs scored in the American League. As well as failing to hit for average, the Mariners are not hitting for power as they have the lowest team ISO in the AL.

While Griffey himself is not responsible for the dire team statistics, he is certainly doing little to help the team as he is hitting just .208 and the power that fired a career 630 home runs has all but disappeared with an ISO of just 0.026 representing just two extra base hits, both of them 2B. The decline of Griffey has not been sudden which makes Seattle's decision to bring him back for 2010 all the more questionable when a curtain call 2009 season would have been a fitting exit for the future Hall Of Famer. Since 2006 up until today, Griffey has played for the Reds, White Sox and Mariners and his statistical worth to all those teams was a combined $100,000. That's $100,000 worth of production over four and a bit seasons.

lamfiaaci.jpg

After being expected to be contenders this year Seattle are currently seven games under .500 and 5.5 games back in the AL West and it's only a matter of time before Griffey will be cut from the team. It has certainly been a good career, but it's not going to end in the best circumstances let's just hope he's awake when they break the news to him.

guess my m's over 83.5 wins bet is buried.

resigning griffey was a huge mistake.

Getting him back for 2009 would have been a nice and fitting end to his career. Getting him back for 2010 was ludicrous.

O/U not looking too good at the moment - the latest updated PECOTA predictions have them finishing at 81 wins for the season so a half decent trade and a little upside (and it's not currently a particularly strong division this year) you might have a chance.

i agree. a couple good trades (and zduriencik knows this as well as anyone) and they could be back in it.

They are rumored to be interested in a trade for Jose Guillen from the Royals. Although he has enjoyed a decent start to the season (let's remember it's only a month) the monetary value of his production since 2006 is $2.6 million. That would be like swapping Ken Griffey Jr. for Ken Griffey Jr.

they should have never given guillen and bloomquist to kansas city.

jose turned his career around with the m's.

they also dont really need any outfielders now.

I think he died sometime in 2006 but he officially retired today.