• Start date
  • Replies 6 Comments
  • Views 474 Views

rohitidex

Since
Jan 19, 2015
Score
Tokens
Two-time gold medal winning hockey Olympian Jaswant Singh Rajput passed away this morning following a prolonged illness, according to the Bengal Hockey Association.

He was 88. "He was suffering from age related illness for more than a month and was looked after by his niece at his Bradford Lane residence near Park Street," a BHA official said.

His last rites would be performed on Thursday. Paying glowing tributes to Jaswant Singh Rajput, former Olympian Gurbux Singh said: "He was part of the galaxy of stars that made India proud. He was unassuming and made Kolkata his home after shifting base."

The former India centre-half was part of the gold medal winning teams in 1948 London and 1952 Helsinki Olympics.

With the likes of Leslie Claudius, Keshav Dutt and Meldric Daluz, Jaswant had formed a lethal foursome and was part of a golden era in Bengal hockey with as many as seven players in the Helsinki-bound side.

He shifted from Delhi to pursue his career in hockey and played for Bhowanipore Club before moving to Mohun Bagan in 1952 as helped them to win the Beighton Cup.

See this pisses me off. This is why some people call hockey "ice hockey."

Ice hockey is just hockey. Any other kind of hockey is where they should be putting adjectives. Field hockey or whatever.

Hockey is hockey.

RIP to dudeguy tho. I don't know him at all but somehow I am sure I would have liked the cut of his jib.

22metjaswant24a-1422445817-2326765.jpg

Is it still an Olympic sport? :clueless:

He'd probably still be a 2nd liner in philly

HEY-OOOOOO!

Gotta be honest tho. I am only aware of it being a sport for skirt-wearing chix. Did not know dudes played it.

Not intending to disrespect. I do like the cut of that guy's jib.

My only further thought being: I wonder if that was India's last Olympic gold medal.

Little needly jab there at India's Olympic stature.

Because they have a billion people.

And they average like 1 bronze per Olympics in my lifetime.

Which is pretty atrocious when you think about. India and the Olympics.

Is what I'm getting at with that.