I will stop rooting for the Rays if this happens!

• Start date
  • Replies 28 Comments
  • Views 2,055 Views

Swarmy

Professional Fucktard
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
WTF?? Let's get rid of our young players and overpay over the hill players to come here and retire. It's the 'hit show' all over again.

Damon and Manny or Vlad for Rays?
5 hours ago by KenRosenthal

If the Tampa Bay Rays sign free agent Johnny Damon, the natural assumption is that they would be out on Manny Ramirez or Vladimir Guerrero.

Not necessarily.

For the right price, the Rays could add Damon plus Ramirez or Guerrero, major-league sources say and Ramirez would seem to be more likely, given that he probably will cost less.

Under such a scenario, Damon would get most of his at-bats in left field. Ramirez or Guerrero would be the primary DH. And the boost to the Rays offense could be significant.

The additions of two veteran hitters would protect the Rays against injury and inconsistency by some of their less accomplished players outfielder Matt Joyce, shortstop Reid Brignac, infielder Sean Rodriguez and first baseman Dan Johnson.

Imagine: Damon and Ramirez, two former Red Sox, doing battle against Boston in the AL East.

Its not out of the question.

Ken Rosenthal

Doesn't make sense to me. I can maybe see Vladdy a little bit but the other two - fok no.

Johnny Damon? Give your head a shake.

saying damon and manny are over the hill is ridiculous.

damon was key in the yankees winning the ws a year ago and manny is still a top 5 hitter in the game. he'd be a great dh

WTF?? Let's get rid of our young players and overpay over the hill players to come here and retire. It's the 'hit show' all over again.

I see your point but I'm not sure that anyone will be overpaid here, these are three players who are past their peak and out of work a little over a month before Spring Training starts.

As to signing Damon +1 of the other two, let's look at 2010. Damon played 145 games and only 33 of them in the outfield and, in fact, his fielding wasn't all that bad - it may be due to the small sample but it's more probably due to being he's OK out there playing one game in every five. But in 2011, it seems pretty certain that he's not going to be up for a whole season in left field so he would be brought in as the primary DH. So then, you have Manny and Vlad who are a liability in the field and pretty much full time DHs - I can't see a way of organizing a team (especially on a limited budget) with two nearly full time DHs.

To say "it's not out of the question" implies that either Ken Rosenthal needs to put down his crack pipe or the person in the Rays front office who is entertaining this idea needs to do so. Or maybe both of them.

like Tampa is ever going to be able to hang on to any of their young players once they can become FAs

Manny is coming to Toronto, anyway.

manny is still a top 5 hitter in the game. he'd be a great dh

Manny is definately not a top 5 hitter in the game anymore.

Albert Puljos
Josh Hamilton
Alex Rodriguez
Adrian Gonzalez
Joe Mauer
Hanley Ramirez

Many more I could add.

LOL, the Angels are trading for Vernon Wells

Wow, they seem to have sealed the deal with Juan Rivera and Mike Napoli going the other way - can't find out for sure if the Jays are sending any cash to Anaheim.

Although not confirmed, it would appear that the Angels are going to eat the entire $86 million left over the four years on the contract. There are also unspecified reports that the Giants are attempting to offload the Barry Zito contract on the Angels as we speak.

Manny AND Damon to the Rays; $2 million for Manny, $5.25 million for Damon. That's a magnificent deal.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:console:

Foxsports and ESPN have confirmed the Wells deal.

The Angels will pay him the owed $86 million he is owed over the next four seasons.

Fuck it. Go for Vlad too and get a free case of ben gay for these used up pos's!