I haven't been around much. Mrquincy Update

• Start date
  • Replies 42 Comments
  • Views 1,984 Views
Plant it just before you think you will get your first frost. If you plant it too early it will start growing before the winter hits. You also have to cut the flowering shoot (scapes) which will appear by the end of June. If you do not cut the flower head off, you will not get a bulb of garlic, just a single clove.

These are the scapes and are totally delicious.

Garlic-Scapes.jpg

Thanks. I will have to wait until November for first frost. Good point about planting it too early.

Yes; late oct/nov works. Also if you have mulch a big layer of leaves etc on top will help. Also try to find garlic that is suited to your climate, don't just try to plant Chinese garlic as it will not work.

Ok I will look up for a suitable variety. Will ask for help at the nursery.

Farmers Markets too. Also there may be a garlic festival in your area; I originally started with about 25-40 pieces and just kept re-planting most of the cloves every year. Last year I had 600 and I did not even use it all. This year I have about 150 cloves in
They are not cheap to buy so if you can control yourself and not eat it all, you should be able to get 4-5 cloves for every one you plant.

I want to have a 2nd kind starting next year. The garlic i have is called 'music' garlic.

If you let the flowerhead mature, you can get hundreds of tiny garlic bulb-lets... They take two years to turn into full on bulbs.

WildGarlicBloomSeedAlbum.jpg

Great! Found a garlic festival in Cleveland, GA about an hour from here. It's in September. Will pay them a visit and buy locally grown garlic.

Thanks a bunch buddy!

Anytime. It sells for about $5 a pound up here.

I'm sorry about Momma Q. It just plain sucks to lose a parent.

As it stands, I have booked off of work for the time being and am heading up tomorrow to be with my family. They postponed her dialysis today because they thought she may die. They are putting her in tomorrow instead which gives us all time to hopefully get there to say our goodbyes if she does indeed perish.

As it stands, I have booked off of work for the time being and am heading up tomorrow to be with my family. They postponed her dialysis today because they thought she may die. They are putting her in tomorrow instead which gives us all time to hopefully get there to say our goodbyes if she does indeed perish.

It was a year ago this weekend when we said our goodbyee to my father, the toughest thing I ever have done. All I can say is be strong and understanding with family.

June 23 will be 2 years for me.

June is apparently a rough month for GL poster's parents.

RIP. Maman. I watched her take her last breath at about 1am EST.

I am so very sorry MrQ. I'm glad you were able to be with her.