• Replies 20 Comments
  • Views 161 Views

Matty

0-fers Will Happen™
Since
Jan 26, 2010
Score
Tokens
Is it a 3D box with depth or is it a 2D plane? If the latter, is it in the middle of the plate, at the front or at the back?

I see the graph on TV shows where the ball lands in the catcher's mitt, but that's obviously behind the strike zone, is it not?

I don’t think the people that developed it even know.

I believe it’s a bullshit technology but I’m a purist so

from last year

At first, the robots were programmed to call a two-dimensional zone at the front of the plate, and MLB also experimented with a three-dimensional zone. This year, the ABS calls strikes solely based on where the ball crosses the midpoint of the plate, 8.5 inches from the front and the back.

ADVERTISEMENT

MLB reduced the top of the zone to 51% of a batter’s height from 56%.

“The two-dimensional zone has minimized the number of pitches that feel wrong to people, particularly when it’s at the middle of the plate because you’re not catching quite as many of those breaking balls down and also those balls that clip the back of the plate,” Sword said. “We like the two-dimensional nature of it.

“It also allows whatever zone we use on the field to match the representations of the zone that we provide to fans and players and coaches and everybody else. But the specifics of what two-dimensional shape you use and what the dimensions of that shape are, I think are still in flux.”

MLB reduced the width of the computer strike zone from 19 inches to 17 this year, matching the width of the plate. Any part of the ball crossing that zone results in a strike.

so they continue to tweak and change operational definition since the rule book definition was never really used in our lifetime

This is fascinating. So it wasn't a dumb question after all.

I kind of enjoy the fuckery of human umpiring. It's part of the thrill of every at-bat IMO.

Been watching Marlins-Dodgers since the start. I miss my Expos. 💔

Been watching Marlins-Dodgers since the start. I miss my Expos. 💔
I really wanted De La Cruz to get his 2nd HR of the game on that long fly ball so all the legends on Marlins +1.5 cashed.

. I miss my Expos. 💔
@Matty , 2 of these cities will have a team by 2029 (the Commissioner's last year before he retires):

Nashville
Portland (kinda terrible idea)
San Jose, California (terrible idea)
Salt Lake Kato
Montreal (and they'll be the Expos if they win a bid)
Mexico City
Orlando (terrible idea)
Raleigh/Charlotte, North Carolina
Austin/San Antonio, Texas (terrible idea)

I hope it's Montreal and
Nashville/Mexico City

Montreal is not ready though, they need to build a new stadium. I grew up next to The Big O and it's a stunning structure from the outside, but it's POS for baseball (and concerts).

Montreal is not ready though, they need to build a new stadium. I grew up next to The Big O and it's a stunning structure from the outside, but it's POS for baseball (and concerts).
They have plenty of time to build a ballpark

Las Vegas just got awarded a team and they don't have a ballpark yet

Not a dumb question at all.

The home plate umpire controls the game.

Sad, yet true..

North Carolina needs a team. Preferably Raleigh.

@Matty , 2 of these cities will have a team by 2029 (the Commissioner's last year before he retires):

Nashville
Salt Lake Kato
Mexico City
Orlando (terrible idea)

I hope it's Montreal and
Nashville/Mexico City
San Jose probably isn’t getting a team, the Giants own the rights to the market. Sacramento perhaps? I think Nashville and a NC city are the most viable.

the Miller family is pushing hard for MLB here.

the kato's will happen - book it

the Miller family is pushing hard for MLB here.

the kato's will happen - book it
Kato knows!!! :kato:
#1 city IMO! People voted 900M towards it also so no haggling with those people. This city APPEARS to have has their crap together!

#2 Nashville
#3 Charlotte

Montrea/Raleigh off the table for me. The rest weren't even on my table.

Nashville
Salt Lake Kato
Mexico City
Orlando (terrible idea)

I hope it's Montreal and
Nashville/Mexico City
Portland deserves nothing. Maybe build a larger jail for their population.

San Jose? Jeesh that’s just a shitty idea.

Salt Lake? Nope.

Montreal? Hell yes

Orlando deserves shit. Fuck them in their pie hole. That city already blows.

Raleigh is an interesting idea but can they sustain a team?

Texas doesn’t need another team.

Nashville has become SO saturated, I’m thinking a team there could be the proverbial nail in the coffin of “hip” factor to the city.

Montreal is the only one I’m on board with.
For shits and giggles, I wish MLB would look into Boise.

Portland deserves nothing. Maybe build a larger jail for their population.
:yes: ain't that the truth or more homeless encampments
San Jose? Jeesh that’s just a shitty idea.
:yes:
Salt Lake? Nope.
:yes: Thought so too until seeing everything in place. Preparation the the key to success! Plus Kato's take!
Montreal?
:nono: Everything says yes and politically correct choice but don't want another situation playing most games indoors.
Orlando deserves shit. Fuck them in their pie hole. That city already blows.
:yes:
Raleigh is an interesting idea but can they sustain a team?
:yes: Exactly my thought.
Texas doesn’t need another team.
:yes: another ain't that truth.
Nashville has become SO saturated, I’m thinking a team there could be the proverbial nail in the coffin of “hip” factor to the city.
:yes: Blitty in Da City already took care of that (those cowboy boots probably haven't moved from his closet). Minor league team draws well but like you stated SO saturated do those new residents keep old alliances like in Miami and Tampa?

:nono: Everything says yes and politically correct choice but don't want another situation playing most games indoors.
Don't really have a choice. It snows in April. Shit sometimes it snows in May.

I agree that indoors baseball is ass.