How fast do ya'll type?

• Start date
  • Replies 24 Comments
  • Views 1,449 Views
I wrote three in the 90's. Had an agent pitching them to publishers and movie studios. Nothing happened (nor should it have. They weren't good enough IMO.)

So now I'm trying to write one that's actually good. It's about what I know: living in the Canadian suburbs, working in a blue collar environment and the struggles/triumphs of those of us who do that. It touches fairly lightly on themes of addictions and trauma. There are two main romantic relationships that are central.

Mainly it's supposed to be funny and hopefully a bit touching and thoughtful in the end.

Sounds awesome! Are you going to self-publish on Amazon? Or waiting to figure the details out after you finish it?

1582167675178.png

Sounds awesome! Are you going to self-publish on Amazon? Or waiting to figure the details out after you finish it?

Yeah one thing at a time. Finish it first.

My general thought is I would like to get an agent since I am not a salesman at all - but maybe that is 1990's thinking.

I'm sure what I'll do is start searching up articles on the topic - do some reading - ask around - maybe I know someone who knows someone. Make a plan from there.

Yeah one thing at a time. Finish it first.

My general thought is I would like to get an agent since I am not a salesman at all - but maybe that is 1990's thinking.

I'm sure what I'll do is start searching up articles on the topic - do some reading - ask around - maybe I know someone who knows someone. Make a plan from there.

Nice, good luck.

I edited/published some books for my uncle on Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). It's very easy! They also offer a print-on-demand service where paperbacks are printed only when they are ordered to save on up-front costs.

Probably worth it to look into an agent, for sure, especially if you are looking to go the conventional novel route. But if you happen to get frustrated with the process or can't find an agent and just want to put it out there yourself, it's easier than ever nowadays.

I edited/published some books for my uncle on Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). It's very easy! They also offer a print-on-demand service where paperbacks are printed only when they are ordered to save on up-front costs.

What type of rights on your work does Amazon get when publish through this?

What type of rights on your work does Amazon get when publish through this?

No ownership rights, just a cut of all of your sales. And on the ebook (kindle) side they offer you incentives to make your book Amazon-exclusive... if you want to publish it on other sites you get shittier fees or something I think.