• Replies 55 Comments
  • Views 2,136 Views

MrX

never had an intact pistachio club
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood want to be exempt from providing insurance under the Affordable Care Act because of the companies' religious foundations. Specifically, they are against providing contraception that may stop pregnancies after conception.

What do you think? Should corporations have freedom of religion protection?

it is still people running the company. And it's the birth control/abortions clause that is mandatory that is the issue. Anyone with half a brain knows the beliefs of the people running Hobby Lobby. No one forces anyone to work for them. A person's religious beliefs aren't confined to a church building. I don't like the idea of the government forcing anyone to do something.

Of course, in this case if Hobby Lobby loses, they have stated they will close the company and all those workers will be unemployed.

The whole purpose of incorporation is to create a separate entity, protecting the people controlling the company from liability. I'm not so sure you should be able to have it both ways. It's a separate entity, so I can't be sued if it fucks up, but oh, by the way, this separate entity has my religious beliefs. It's iffy.

I would completely agree with you, Nina, if this was a private business that wasn't a corporation.

And there's the fact, mostly being glossed over, that there is no evidence that the birth control being questioned allows fertilization in the first place. Both plan B and IUDs work by preventing fertilization.

But the underlying issue is the mandatory birth control/abortion clause that is now required in every policy. Not everyone needs that. It is possible for insurance companies to offer that as a rider which the employee could opt into and pay for themselves instead of forcing a complany that was founded by practicing Catholics. My 66 year old mother doesn't need that coverage yet is forced to pay for it.

I think birth control pills should be covered. I know several ladies who took them for other issues other than birth control. They help control periods and cramping.

I don't understand why birth control has become an issue. By a foken rubber.

But this is the shit you deal with when you don't have universal medicine. Why the fuck should your access to med be at all related to your stupid employer? Who came up with this system? :slavery:

But this is the shit you deal with when you don't have universal medicine. Why the fuck should your access to med be at all related to your stupid employer? Who came up with this system? :slavery:

You're going to make me a commie yet with these type of valid questions.

The suit only applies to emergency contraception under the ACA. No one is objecting to providing birth control (at least in this case).

MrX
And there's the fact, mostly being glossed over, that there is no evidence that the birth control being questioned allows fertilization in the first place. Both plan B and IUDs work by preventing fertilization.

ACA defines that these two methods of contraception apply after conception. It's not up for debate in this case.

They are a corporation, thus offer the insurance. Sounds like they want to play both sides of the fence here.

but - there are being forced to offer coverage on something they do not believe it

but - there are being forced to offer coverage on something they do not believe it

A corporation is faceless. If they don't believe in it, don't be a corporation. There are a lot of things I don't believe in with my tax money but am forced to. Whose to say they are not playing the religion angle to get out of offering it? Are they more religious than the owners of Wal Mart? Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?

There's not a lot that my tax money goes to that I agree with, so I stopped worrying about it.

I also stopped watching cable news. It's pointless.

How are all those extra tax dollars working in Chicago FW?

Your streets, schools, and crime rates all good now?

I mean, I already know the answer, but sometimes you gotta laugh, because it's easier than explaining the greed of man.

There's not a lot that my tax money goes to that I agree with, so I stopped worrying about it.

I also stopped watching cable news. It's pointless.

Al-Jazerra Network is very good.