• Views 1,904 Views

UntilTheNDofTimE

At the tables
Since
Jan 30, 2010
Score
Tokens
Whats your biggest ripoff.

I bought a older car after i was in a automobile collision 2 months ago.

The nuetral safety switch was going back and the other day it wouldnt start. I figured this to be the issue. I bought n replaced the part myself and my car wouldnt start still.

Today i got my car towed to a shop that quotted me $280 to change a starter( i dont have the tools to do it myself and my buddy cudnt do it until this werkend). Not a big deal i loose more money by not working. I bring it over here and they tell me i need a new battery too. Say the battery is $145. Paid $50 for the diagnostic.

Raping me for. $522 out the door. I have a coupon for $50 off. So $475.....

Need a car by tonight so i didnt really care what the price was.

All in all i put $700 into this car in last week between this, towing it and buying a new nuetral safety switch which i needed anyways. This POS better last me 2 years strong be4 i put more than a oil change into it.

You can change the battery by yourself. Just buy a new one and use a wrench to loosen the terminals, take the old one out and put the new one on and tighten the terminals. It takes 5 minutes. And any parts shop can test your old battery for free and they can even install the new one for free.

I know how to change starter n battery myself pavy. They arnt charging any labor on the battery n there charging me $20 more for the battery than autozone does. Rather them just do it right away

i avoid these situations by not owning a car and not leaving my bedroom :surrender:

I once sent $90 to kazakhstan for a fake ID tho :pot:

I still dont get how ppl justify not owning a car and taking taxi's. Your talking minimum $40 bucks a day. Thats 1200 a month. For $1200 you can have a $700 car payment. $200 insurance and $300 gas

I know how to change starter n battery myself pavy. They arnt charging any labor on the battery n there charging me $20 more for the battery than autozone does. Rather them just do it right away

Well $145 for a new battery and $50 for a diagnostics test is 3 times more than I pay for a new battery here in GA. Cali must be expensive.

I still dont get how ppl justify not owning a car and taking taxi's. Your talking minimum $40 bucks a day. Thats 1200 a month. For $1200 you can have a $700 car payment. $200 insurance and $300 gas

some people ride bikes some people get rides some people take public transportation.......

Depends how cheap you want to go on batteries. You can get one anywhere grom 60-170. Diagnostic was for the car not starting not the battery.

diagnostic should be taken off the price of service if you choose to have them fix it. $280 for starter sounds reasonable. No reason you should pay more than $70 for a new battery on an old car.

how do you think these shops stay in business?
it isnt on labor alone...
ALL businesses mark up materials/parts to help cover overhead.

if you want to own a business someday might want to look into how a profitable business works.

I mark up materials a minimum of 20% if I'm doing the figuring and arranging for materials to be on job at right time/ with everything I ordered... not to mention if I have to deliver them myself.

but you can always get a shade tree mechanic or tradesman to do work on the side ( will work for beer:facepalm:)
but when shit hits the fan dont expect warrenty coverage, then you have to pay a pro which cost more in the long run

diagnostic should be taken off the price of service if you choose to have them fix it. $280 for starter sounds reasonable. No reason you should pay more than $70 for a new battery on an old car.

Reno thats usually the case with the diagnostic. However with this shop they charge $90 for the diagnostic and take $40 off if you do the repairs there. Sucks but i had limited options. I have AAA roadside service and i can tow 5 miles for free after that its $12 a mile. This was really the only auto shop in the area under 5 miles. And yea i prab overpaid for the battery by about 50 bucks. But hey my car is running.

I need to get about a year out of this car and it still easily pays itself off. Between low insurance and no car payment i save over $500 a month driving this vs my previous vehicle.( 91 sentra vs 2011 corolla)

agree with this.
I started charging certain customers for qoutes ( tirekickers or customers that always want a quote but never call back)
if I get hired then quote charge is deducted from bill

agree with this.
I started charging certain customers for qoutes ( tirekickers or customers that always want a quote but never call back)
if I get hired then quote charge is deducted from bill

wish this was the case at this shop but i basically did get the diagnostic for free. They had coupons at the front desk that gave you 10% off services of 100 or more up to $50. So i got $50 off and then they took $40 off the diagnostic charge so technically since i spent $500 the diagnostic was free hahah.

Reno thats usually the case with the diagnostic. However with this shop they charge $90 for the diagnostic and take $40 off if you do the repairs there. Sucks but i had limited options. I have AAA roadside service and i can tow 5 miles for free after that its $12 a mile. This was really the only auto shop in the area under 5 miles. And yea i prab overpaid for the battery by about 50 bucks. But hey my car is running.

I need to get about a year out of this car and it still easily pays itself off. Between low insurance and no car payment i save over $500 a month driving this vs my previous vehicle.( 91 sentra vs 2011 corolla)

I have AAA Roadside and can get a tow up to 100 miles. Not sure why you can only get 5 miles.

wish this was the case at this shop but i basically did get the diagnostic for free. They had coupons at the front desk that gave you 10% off services of 100 or more up to $50. So i got $50 off and then they took $40 off the diagnostic charge so technically since i spent $500 the diagnostic was free hahah.

those coupons are built into the charges:happyface:

like clothing store that have sales...
reg $45.99
today $29.99 :lol:

I have AAA Roadside and can get a tow up to 100 miles. Not sure why you can only get 5 miles.

They have regular gold and platinum membership. Ive had AAA for a few years now and i have it for peace of mind but i had never needed a tow so i didnt invest in the platinum. I think its like $80 more a year than the basic.

edit......here's the rates

Premier - $119*
200 Miles of FREE towing
Plus - $91*
100 Miles of FREE towing
Classic - $57*
5 Miles of FREE towing

They have regular gold and platinum membership. Ive had AAA for a few years now and i have it for peace of mind but i had never needed a tow so i didnt invest in the platinum. I think its like $80 more a year than the basic.

edit......here's the rates

Premier - $119*
200 Miles of FREE towing
Plus - $91*
100 Miles of FREE towing
Classic - $57*
5 Miles of FREE towing

I do have the platinum. You should upgrade, why gets a tow for only 5 miles?

I do have the platinum. You should upgrade, why gets a tow for only 5 miles?

like i said Ive had it for years and never used it other than using it on coworkers who lock their keys in their cars. Roadside service is not only for tows. I will look into upgrading now that i have a vehicle that's not quite as reliable as my previous ones.