• Replies 23 Comments
  • Views 1,914 Views

Jello

Not Funny
Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
Because he'll be starting in RF for ATL when teams break camp in a few weeks. Peter Gammons wrote a nice little background story today (linked below). 6'6", 245 lbs with incredible plate discipline, the son of two Dartmouth grads.

"He's going to be the next superstar that comes out of Atlanta...He's an impact player. Every ball that he hits in Spring Training, you can hear the crowd go, 'Ooh, ahh.' The ball just jumps off his bat. He hits balls that other people don't hit. I have no problem saying this kid is going to be a superstar right now." - Chipper Jones

"He didn't chase any bad balls. That's what impressed me...He didn't even offer at anything unless it was a strike. Pujols was the other guy I saw that was like that." - Jim Leyland

"He plays the game the right way. It looks like he has a chance to really be something special in the game of baseball if he just doesn't get too high or too low." - Daryl Strawberry

"This kid isn't real. He might be the best 20-year-old ever." - Eric Hinske

Here's Gammon's article. There's also a nice 3+ minute video (for the reading imparied) of an interview with Gammons and footage of Heyward:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...t_id=8723826&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

"He plays the game the right way. It looks like he has a chance to really be something special in the game of baseball if he just doesn't get too high or too low." - Daryl Strawberry

:lmao:

looks like a solid prospect, interesting quote by Hinske

Archie, you still restricted across the street or do your posts go unmoderated?

I see you have been busy over there.

Yeah, I think Ken Griffey Jr and ARod might have a slight disagreement... but quite a statement nonetheless.

Yeah he looks like he could be a good player in time. I personally will not pay too much attention to him in my upcoming fantasy draft. We do an auction draft and I have a few friends who always overpay for hot rookie prospects.

Archie, you still restricted across the street or do your posts go unmoderated?

I see you have been busy over there.

I just looked and I would say Archie is not restricted anymore since he is receiving the daily loyalty points.

I wouldn't expect him to be terribly valuable in fantasy this year. If he does start from day 1, he's gonna be sharing at least a little time with Diaz and Cabrera. I would think a great year would be .280/20/65 with maybe 20 SB and quite a few more BB than K's.

I wouldn't expect him to be terribly valuable in fantasy this year. If he does start from day 1, he's gonna be sharing at least a little time with Diaz and Cabrera. I would think a great year would be .280/20/65 with maybe 20 SB and quite a few more BB than K's.

Yeah those are about my predictions if he gets the at bats although I was thinking more liek 10-15 SB's.

In my league those stats are worth about $10-12. And I know he will go for much more if he keeps getting hyped like he is.

Spot on. I'm just excited about him as a Braves fan. If he puts up numbers like that, this could be a really good team. And of course the prospect of him, Hanson, and Jurrjens in Atlanta for the next 10-15 years is something I like to dream about.

Bill James has him at .303/17/78 with 11 steals, assuming a projection of 146 games.

Bill James has him at .303/17/78 with 11 steals, assuming a projection of 146 games.

Wow. Like I said, if he puts up numbers like that the Braves are serious contenders this season...and I'm happy.

Yes. He will.

Stanton's a solid prospect for sure, but only a Marlins homer would pretend like he's a standard for Heyward to live up to.

Nigga please.

Or only a Braves homer would make such a sure shot prediction?

Super prospects are well, still prospects (you know this) so my initial post was half ball breaking of your Braves homer-ness and half a dose of prospect reality

Until he faces some real pitching it's all hype. Wait till he faces Halladay, Santana, Hamels, Johnson, Strasburg in the tough division Braves play which has the best pitching in the majors and then talk. I'm not having my hopes high. This year's Braves team is worse than last year. We will be fighting for 4th place again.

Or only a Braves homer would make such a sure shot prediction?

Super prospects are well, still prospects (you know this) so my initial post was half ball breaking of your Braves homer-ness and half a dose of prospect reality

Well, my post was 100% ball breaking. :pballs: