• Replies 15 Comments
  • Views 1,569 Views

UntilTheNDofTimE

At the tables
Since
Jan 30, 2010
Score
Tokens
How do you guys tie in living expenses with optimal bankroll growth?
I also assume you guys invest in retirement as well since some forms of retirement accounts would be more lucrative then the compound interest you make sports betting(maybe not).

Until recently ive always had a full time job so any form of profits that steemed from gambling i was able to just reinvest the profits in my bankroll. My working wage would always cover my living expenses.

Ive been playing poker since i was 13. Started playing 1/2 NL when i was 18 and had good success and was always a break even/small profit player. As years past i started to play 2/5 and 5/10 NL as i grew my bankroll and was making on average approx $26 a hour playing part time over a period of 14 months. Since ive been unemployed ive resorted to playing full time 2/5 and 5/10 NL and have experienced even greater results.

On the side i work under the table, get paid half the time i play, and collect unemployment. My unemployment and working wages well cover my living expenses along with material things i wish to purchase. Because of this i can continually grow my bankroll and a bad streak will not cripple me.

On the flip side a person who gambles professionally can not spend all his profits or his losses would completely diminish ones bankroll due to living expenses. Do you guys find it hard to purchase such luxary items you want that could damage optimal growth. If your say clearing 100k a year do you try to only spend 40k so you can continually increase your profit margins.

I have no aspirations of being a professional gambler, i simply enjoy playing poker as a highly profitable secondary income. But was just wondering how you reinvest profits/spend money. A person who makes 100k on salary can spend every dollar he earns knowing he has a guarenteed check every week. With variance in gambling id assume this becomes a much more difficult task.

This question is more geared towards sports betting as every dollar you earn increases your bankroll which increases you risk per play/edge. In poker if your playing at a set limit you can assign yourself a bankroll say 50 buy ins and anything above that you can invest freely in other areas. This is assuming you dont plan to move up in limits. You do however come to this same point in sportsbetting by max betting limits. But that is why pros like durito have 100's of accounts so max betting limits become nearly non existant.

Last edited:
i love when people who ask for advice take the point of view that they know what they're talking about

If poker is "highly profitable" for you why aren't you playing $10/$20 NL full time instead of grinding out the 9-5?

what is your retirement plan choo?

get rich, win?

choo next time you're in town we need to play tennis

Do you guys find it hard to purchase such luxury items you want that could damage optimal growth.

I think Durito would be the first to admit he suffered hugh "buyers remorse" after realizing how much he spends on "luxury items".

duritohump3.gif

someone put that durito avatar on this pic too!!!!

web.jpg

I think Durito would be the first to admit he suffered hugh "buyers remorse" after realizing how much he spends on "luxury items".

duritohump3.gif

lol

If poker is "highly profitable" for you why aren't you playing $10/$20 NL full time instead of grinding out the 9-5?

Im not good enough to play at this level and for gambling to be worth ones time at a professional level they need to make about triple what they're worth in the real job market. I dont make playing poker what i did at Pepsi. And i dont get 401k matches, stock purchasing plan, a pension worth about a million dollars. That is why. Secondly i wouldnt ever want to deal with the stress of doing it as a profession. It would no longer be fun at that point.

Amazing that sugar + water can be so profitable.

I tried being a professional gambler for 2 years. I was making about 5K a month in net profit which was not enough for me to quit my job. I was working many hours and I got burned out easily. This is my biggest issue. I could have quit my job and made enough money with gambling but I knew I wouldn't be having fun. I like big challenges like engineering bridges, hotels, skyscrapers that sharpen my mind and keep me motivated. The whole concept of betting on the outcome of a game is boring to me and that's why I didn't become professional. I can make the same amount of money by doing what I do know and having fun doing it without worrying about the payout and whether a book is going to cut my limits or not.

Pavy, don't computers do most of the work for engineers?

Pavy, don't computers do most of the work for engineers?

You have to input the right data to the computer and know how to decipher different building codes that are the size of an encyclopedia. Other than that a slight error by the computer can result in millions of damages and death of innocent people.

Pavy, computers don't make mistakes, pal.

common.

Remember - G I G O