• Start date
  • Replies 33 Comments
  • Views 3,074 Views

Goat Milk

Since
Aug 14, 2010
Score
Tokens
Pacino probably 2. But other guys drawing on Pacino level too. No one on DeNiro's level.

maryl streep one of the greatest if not the best actress all time

but think about it

no where near Deniro's level

He is a very good dramatic actor. Not the best - he doesn't have the range of many actors I could name - but for that limited thing he does, he is very good. He is completely convincing and that's all any actor can hope for.

As a comic actor, he is not just average but weak. At times he can actually make me feel embarrassed for him with his attempts to be funny. That's not good for an actor. Which wouldn't matter except he keeps trying to do comic roles - so it has to be factored into the rating. Rocky and Bullwinkle? Really?

But the drama is still most important and overall I don't have him in the very top tier. He is in the tier below that. Pacino is right around the same spot but for slightly different reasons.

Excuse me, I forgot this thread is being done in dopey forumspeak of overstated superlatives where opinion is fact. Let me re-summarize:

Deniro is, like, easily NOT in the top tier. Bar none.

As always, my opinions are easily the most correct. Bar none.

I think Daniel Day Lewis is the best. Nobody can play The Butcher the way he did.

Denzel washington is my favorite. Great in all his roles as a actor. Take out his last few years of movies( unstoppable, safe house, pelham 123) and all his movies have been fantastic. DeNiro is definately in my top 10, loved him in Men of Honor.

How the fok do you all NOT mention Clint howard and Nick Cage?

So strange this thread... I was telling someone that I'm wigged out being home alone tonight so I was going to go sleep in the living room. Walking down the stairs I could hear a familiar voice from the tv. The channel I'd left it on was playing Cape Fear. Watched for about a minute, got thoroughly shit scared by DeNiro and Usain Bolted to the remote.

Decent dramatic actor but I agree with Muddy that his grabs for cash when taking comedic roles have tarnished his reputation. No need for some of the shit he agreed to do no matter what he was being paid. Not only does he suck at it but the scripts did too.

But yes Meryl Streep is incomparable. Absolutely amazing and crazy humble too.

actors pfft, big deal. I could've been an actor. this guy is good:

Reno wins the thread.

Here's one thing I have learned from this thread: sometimes a capital letter "N" in a thread title looks like an "lf". And an "r" can look like an "n".

A couple times I have noticed this thread on the forum and thought, Oh, he's talking about someone named Delfino - and I went and commented about DeNiro. Silly me.

But no.

Or maybe I need a little recreational lasik surgery.

Some actors I put in the top tier:

Meryl Streep - the gold standard. Daniel Day-Lewis is a bit of a headcase from what I hear but he can certainly inhabit a wide variety of characters convincingly. Sean Penn. Ben Kingsley. Tom Hanks is very good at drama - and then he gets bonus points for being so good at comedy. I really don't think it is appreciated how difficult comedy acting is. Julianne Moore. Cate Blanchett. Russell Crowe. Gary Oldman.

(Now I feel like my role here has been to put down Deniro. Not my intention. Love Deniro.)

Denzel washington is my favorite. Great in all his roles as a actor. Take out his last few years of movies( unstoppable, safe house, pelham 123) and all his movies have been fantastic. DeNiro is definately in my top 10, loved him in Men of Honor.

wouldnt have thought he is almost 60...man on fire is one of my fav movies...

Keanu reeves. Gary Coleman

Gary Oldman, Russel Crowe, Nick Cage, Ben Kinsley, Reeves before DeNiro???

Great comedies
Analyze This, That
Meet the Parents

Untouchable Performances
Cape Fear
Godfather Part 2
Deer Hunter
Raging Bull - compare this to Crowes cinderellaman performance. No comparison!
Heat
Taxi DRIVER!!!

Why do you think Scorsesse chose DeNiro?

I'm losing it Mudcat/Archie!

I'm losing it.

If you want to talk strictly range Mudcat--pure versatility.

I don't think anyone can touch Johnny Depp. Guy deserves an Oscar.

DDL also in the discussion.

does mudcat like that ricky gervais guy?