Clap Stomp Hurray

• Start date
  • Replies 48 Comments
  • Views 2,795 Views
Yeah, I thought I was just ghost writing for some guy who would edit and put his own spin to them.

Bayer, since he credited me with the articles I doubt he is the guy you are paying. Also I guess it makes it alright to post them over again publicly as well. So here they are except for the first 2 which I sent via text.

Casper, I've unintentionally super-jacked your thread.

Arizona St at Utah

It’s rare for me to venture into the Pac 10, sorry I mean Pac 12 to make a play. I’m just not comfortable with the style of play in the conference for the most part. It’s not because I don’t love offense because I most certainly do. It’s more to do with the inconsistent or lack of defense played in most cases which makes it much more difficult to judge the games fairly. I don’t know that, that isn’t still the case but for reasons that are a mystery to even myself I found a game and more importantly a line that I have to take a chance on this week.

Arizona St 4-1 (SU) and 1-4 (ATS) head to Utah 2-2 (SU) and 1-3 (ATS) for a football contest. This is the inaugural season for Utah in the Pac 12 after leaving the Mountain West.

The Utes enter this game off a loss at Washington losing 31-14 as a 10 point favorite. Starting QB Jordan Wynn injured his shoulder in that game and is expected to not play this week. Junior QB Jon Hays is expected to get the start in his place. For me this information both confirms my play and at the same time makes me wonder about the line. I will get to that in a minute though.

ASU and Utah have not played each other since 1993 so even if you don’t generally use Head to Head as a parameter for measuring a game it really wouldn’t be a factor in this game anyway. A factor that can be a measuring stick is common opponents and both teams have played USC this season. ASU beat USC 43-22 at home while Utah lost 23-14 at Southern Cal. While it’s true that the comparison isn’t exactly fair because one was on the road and the other was at home it is still something. Personally for me common opponents are much more valuable in capping a game than head to head.

I have watched a little from both of these teams this season and there are good and bad on both squads but I am slightly more impressed with ASU both in the quarterback position and on defense. I know, I made a joke about Pac 12 and defense earlier but I’m speaking in relative terms at this point. I’m not saying defense as in Alabama or LSU, I’m comparing apples to apples even if these apples are filled with brown spots and worm holes.

Home advantage goes to Utah but QB play, receivers, and overall defense and common opponent goes to ASU.

Play: -4

Oklahoma at Texas

Ahhhhh, the Red River Rivalry. I do love rivalry games. Even if you’re not a fan of certain teams of even certain conferences as a football fan you can appreciate tradition and rivalries.

This game hasn’t been decided by more than 10 points since 2006, albeit there was a 10 point win by Texas in 2008. So a line set at 9.5 or 10 depending on where you look kind of makes you wonder. On the surface you think Texas just isn’t the same Texas team and while that may be true you forget that they are 4-0 coming into this game. Your mind tends to think about how they struggled at home against BYU but you forget that they were still searching for a starting QB and the fact that BYU has played tough against Texas in the past. Your mind also automatically goes to the Oklahoma/FSU game earlier this season. That was an absolute brutally physical game throughout and it was a national game so it is burnt into our memories.

There is no doubt that Oklahoma is a top team in the country and if you know what you are watching when you watch the games you cannot deny that Landry Jones is destined for the NFL. The Sooners have physical players on defense and they are well coached.

Also true is the fact that this is not the same Texas team of a couple years ago but this is a much improved team to last year and last year we witnessed a 16-13 win by the Sooner’s.

I do think that Oklahoma wins this game and I will admit the potential for a blowout or comfortable win is possible but I’m not sold on it. In fact I am fairly confident that Texas will keep this game close or perhaps Oklahoma will via mistakes. In either case I think Texas keeps this game within a touchdown.

Play: Texas +9.5

Florida State at Duke

Wow. The Seminoles entered this season with high expectations and now they are just looking to save their season. When they played Oklahoma it was honestly one of the most physical games I had seen in a very long time. Both teams loaded with talent, in front of a national crowd put on a great game. Oklahoma was clearly the better team that night even before the Nole’s starting QB EJ Manuel had to leave the game but FSU definitely made their presence known.

Florida St followed the loss to the Sooner’s up with a road loss at Clemson. Excuses could be made and legitimately so that they were still banged up form the Sooner’s game and playing a freshman QB Clint Tricklett on the road. Also true is the fact that Clemson has a very solid team and were looking to establish themselves as a contender for the ACC this year.

In both of those losses Seminole fans could at least take resolve in the fact that both teams were better than average teams as well as injuries to the Nole’s. What no-one in support of FSU and quite possibly even your average football fan could have predicted was that Florida State would lose a third straight game and to Wake Forest of all teams. I don’t mean any disrespect to Wake Forest but come on!

So now this week FSU is on the road again at 3-2 Duke. This is an improved Duke team and FSU is a walking wounded both mentally and physically, so do the Devils have a chance?

There is a better chance that gas prices will return to $1 per gallon than the Duke Blue Devils beating FSU this weekend. More possible but still less probable is that Duke will cover the 13.5 points as well.

The ACC Title won’t reside in Tallahassee this year but the season is not over for the Nole’s. There is still time to save their season and more importantly their pride. I expect them to set the tone early here and go on to an easy cover. Looking for a 45-17 type game this week.

Play: Florida State -13.5

Utah St at Fresno St

There are certain teams that always seem to throw me off. I bet on them and they lose, I bet against them and they win. Utah St is becoming one of those teams. The sample size isn’t large enough yet to write them off but if I fail with them again this week I may be done with them for good.

A team that I should have written off a long time ago is Fresno St. The previous 2 seasons I have had terrible luck trying to predict how this team will perform.

So if I have two teams playing one another that I have a poor track record with, why am I even bothering with them you ask? Undoubtedly I like self abuse.

Seriously, I like the match-up here. If you consider a home team is generally awarded roughly 3 points for home field advantage then Utah St is theoretically favored by 6.5 here. When you look at the fact that Utah St’s scoring average is 42.6 and Fresno St allows an average of 36.5 ppg, I like that. Then you see that Fresno St average score is 26.7 ppg and Utah St allows an average of 28 ppg, I like that as well. Throw in a slight edge in special teams and yards gained and I like Utah St all the more.

I don’t expect Utah st to follow up this game like the win last week over Wyoming 63-19 but I do look for them to have another decent output. I can see Utah St winning this game in the neighborhood of 33-20 which gives us a nice little cover.

Play: Utah St -3.5

Texas A&M at Iowa St

The Aggies enter this game after having maybe the best complete game of their season so far. While scoring 55 points against Baylor may not impress anyone only allowing RG-3 and Baylor to score 28 is kind of impressive. Especially when you take into consideration how Texas A&M have allowed points practically unchallenged in 2nd halves of games this year.

I like them to continue the roll this week on the road at Iowa St. as well.. Now I won’t get overly involved with statistical analysis here because this is more of a feel play. I will tell you that the Aggies beat Iowa St last year 35-10 and while the college landscape does change often this is a better A&M team than last years version. They are better and they are playing much improved since the collapse against Arkansas.

Texas A&M has 2 losses on the season and as mentioned they lost to Arkansas by simply failing to suit up for the 2nd half after just losing to Oklahoma St 30-29 the week prior in the exact same fashion. Since those losses they have beaten Texas Tech and the afore mentioned Baylor and have looked very strong in doing so.

The Aggies are laying 20 as of this writing to an Iowa St team coming off a blowout loss to Missouri and riding a 3-game losing streak. I generally try to stay away from teams on more than 2-game losing streaks but I’m making an exception here. I like the Aggies to roll.

Play: Texas A&M -20 (good to -24)

SMU at Southern Miss

Here we have a match-up of identical 5-1 (SU) and 4-2 (ATS) teams. The Mustangs and Golden Eagles haven’t played since 2008 so there are no recent comparisons to go on here. If you look closer to just how identical these two teams are you will see that SMU is coring and average of 33.7 ppg and Southern Miss 38.7 ppg. SMU is allowing and average of 20 ppg and Southern Miss is allowing 22 ppg.

Both teams have an impressive win on their schedule, SMU beating TCU on the road and Southern Miss downing Virginia also on the road. The only significant difference is in who they have lost too. SMU lost at Texas A&M 46-14 and Southern Miss lost at Marshall 26-20.

So why on earth would I attempt to pick a winner between teams that are so close?

I want so bad to tell you I have some inside information. You know the old. I know a guy who dated a girl that is now seeing the cousin of the washroom attendant to the team kind of inside info. Alas, that’s not the case. In fact I honestly don’t have a solid reason other than I simply like one of these teams right now to win this game. Call it a hunch, call it blind faith, call it crazy but I like the Mustangs on the road to not just cover but win the game outright.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Play: SMU +133

what site is it?

rates for writers vary, and that's largely dependent on the true level of the writer or the subject matter. there are a lot of folks out there who think they are 'writers/editors' in this internet age, but they'd be laughed out of jobs as basic cub reporters for a specific beat or subject. i had a guy in the last couple of years tell me about all of his "professional writing experience," yet he had no idea what i was talking about when i mentioned the associated press stylebook.

a good rate for work-at-home writers who are on the ball and actually know the difference between a dangling participle and prepositional phrase is $30-$35 per hour. a well-researched, 500-600 word piece should take 60-90 minutes.

i charge an old friend a little less than that for some technical editing and work, $27.50 per hour. it's pretty damn easy, though, proofing their docs that can run from 5-50 pages, then writing them to pdf and creating indices and table of contents.

I explained to the guy I had no real skill and the proof is in the content. There are times when I truly apply myself and if I am sincerely more than average behind a play I could make a more entertaining read but nothing even close to professional. I'm considering it gaining experience for now but I am much more focused on offering games that have a better than marginal chance of winning.

Produce winners first and be entertaining will eventually happen hopefully. In looking back at the presentation I am overpaid at the moment.

Those are pretty short; kinda agree with you being overpaid at this point.

Personally, on average I only make about 40$ per MMA write-up I do.

I'm a shit writer but luckily my content makes up for it.

Wally,

I wish you good luck pal. My thinking is whatever you get paid to write what you think and you get credit for it, that is a good day!
Keep picking winners buddy!

Wally,

I wish you good luck pal. My thinking is whatever you get paid to write what you think and you get credit for it, that is a good day!
Keep picking winners buddy!

Are you drunk? Yeah ok, write for a site that starts doing dodgies on its members. Forevermore on Google = your name + that scummy site+wannabe Inspector Gadgets throwing it in your face.

Even when I wrote for Crown I changed part of my name and that was only published in hard copy. When you put your name to something in an industry that is still somewhat contained like this, you should 'own' what that website, company, etc... represents. Unless you're desperate for cash. And at the price he's getting, obv that's not the case. I agree with Illy that Wal's articles were short... but they're supposed to be 500-600 words. That long for $6.25 a pop or $6.66 if he does the 15 articles for $100 is not acceptable unless you have ownership in the site, the owner is your friend or you're living in a hostel and have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Last edited:
Good job wally. I would exchange 2000 Palestinian prisoners for just one of your articles.

Oksana, how did you locate the site? i never saw him post it when he was asking for anyone interested and he didn't include it in the emails. All I had was a email address. Your sleuthing skills are impressive. Also is this site doing "dodgies" and are they a scummy site? truly interested in what you know as long as it's just because they aren't SBR approved.

I just watched the froggy video! And I did all 3!!!

Casper, watch it again. It'll make you smile and giggle after you've had a few coffees I'm sure.

Oksana, how did you locate the site? i never saw him post it when he was asking for anyone interested and he didn't include it in the emails. All I had was a email address. Your sleuthing skills are impressive. Also is this site doing "dodgies" and are they a scummy site? truly interested in what you know as long as it's just because they aren't SBR approved.

I honestly don't know if they're scummy or not. I could probably suss a bit more out if needed. But that's just my hypothetical as to why I think you should expect a bit more danger pay when you're working with an unknown. Whatever that guy does from here on out, your name is there. And even though I know you're not expecting to turn this into a career, I also sense you quite enjoy it and from what I've seen from the stuff you did for Blackie and even just the snippets here, you're lightyears ahead of 95% of guys who sell these writeups. I have to delete them from SBR every day... I'm sure BB could attest that most of them are just random stats thrown together and disjointed used car salesman stuff. But I'm also aware that the majority of my professional life has focused on writing in one form or another so I might be a bit more hypersensitive than others. I just think if you really want to make a go of it, there's nothing wrong with writing for smaller sites. But I just hope you can get a bit more compensation because you really are taking a slight risk with your name associated.

wal, please take oksana's advise.

she is wise.

made my day.

casper/razor/caspermuse/otheruserenamesyoughostunder - i still dont believe this girlfriend story of yours. pic to prove or lose.

made my day.

casper/razor/caspermuse/otheruserenamesyoughostunder - i still dont believe this girlfriend story of yours. pic to prove or lose.

I'll get right on that. Should have a pic downloaded on here sometime between the hours of "when I care what you think" and "when hell freezes over"

:loser:

I'm sure BB could attest that most of them are just random stats thrown together and disjointed used car salesman stuff. But I'm also aware that the majority of my professional life has focused on writing in one form or another so I might be a bit more hypersensitive than others. I just think if you really want to make a go of it, there's nothing wrong with writing for smaller sites. But I just hope you can get a bit more compensation because you really are taking a slight risk with your name associated.

there's more to it than your own writing when your name is attached. in addition to poor writers, there are plenty of poor editors who can make your original works come off very poor. they will force keywords and phrases into the mix that you don't want your name attached to. it's a huge problem when the people 'editing' -- and i use that verb only because saying "fucking up your articles" would sound too subjective on my part -- have no clue about the subject matter or general writing rules.

I'm gonna complete my obligation till the end of college football. I'm not ignoring your warnings Oksana, you made some valid points but I agreed and I tend to keep my word even when it could be the worst thing for me in the long run.

I will however put more effort into it since I now know I'm not just supplying fill content that someone else is staking claim too. Aside from amateur writing skills I will officially retain my amateur tout status since clearly these are being used in a free section.

I also downloaded a word count program. I never counted but assumed I was in the 400 range and I wasn't even close. Hurray, I can return back to the days of long-winded rambling about nothing Wal.

there's more to it than your own writing when your name is attached. in addition to poor writers, there are plenty of poor editors who can make your original works come off very poor. they will force keywords and phrases into the mix that you don't want your name attached to. it's a huge problem when the people 'editing' -- and i use that verb only because saying "fucking up your articles" would sound too subjective on my part -- have no clue about the subject matter or general writing rules.

Thank you. I was beginning to feel like a bit of a tinfoil hatter so I'm happy someone understands where I'm coming from with this one. I would never attach my name or even my known forum username to something I won't see before it goes out so I have the choice whether or not to rubbish the whole thing. It's non-negotiable for me.

I enjoyed the vid. "wannabe Inspector Gadgets", too.