cherry blossom forecast

roguejuror

rouge
Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
The cherry is called in the Japanese language "sakura," which is generally believed to be a corruption of the word "sakuya" (blooming) from the name of Princess Kono-hana-sakuya-Hime, who is enshrined on the top of Mt. Fuji. This long name literally means "tree-flowers-blooming-princess," for the cherry was so well known in those early days in Japan that the flower meant nothing but the cherry. This princess was so named because, it is said, she dropped from heaven upon a cherry tree. Hence, the cherry blossom is considered to be the national flower of Japan.

The cherry symbolizes the national character of the Japanese. This is because the life of a samurai of feudal times was proverbially compared to the short-lived cherry-blossoms, which last "no more than three days," for our samurai was always fully prepared to sacrifice his life at any time in the cause of his master. Another saying is that what "the cherry is among flowers is the samurai among men."

The blooming period of sakura is very short, and in a few days the flower is scattered away in the spring breeze.

TEJx6HA.jpg

lzXlptO.jpg

HzeT59j.jpg

dfJ4NYn.jpg

qsvwu38.jpg

yrNj0ZR.jpg

ipu66oN.jpg

ztzgpZT.jpg

oTUrDE3.jpg

I was in DC for peak bloom last year and it was also the 100th cherry blossom festival. 5th pic is DC. Lotta Asians, they like cherry brossums.

Oh I love cherry blossom trees! They are so beautiful! I love seeing the pink fall to the ground in the breeze. In my elementary school we had on the courtyard, and would read under it almost everyday in the spring, even if it was a little cold.

I was in DC for peak bloom last year and it was also the 100th cherry blossom festival. 5th pic is DC. Lotta Asians, they like cherry brossums.

I had no idea they had this thing in D.C.

hm tempted to go.

watch out for the feds, rj

Thanks for reminding me to go get some claritin for allergies. I hate trees blossoming!

I do like cherries. Bing cherries. Don't really like the pits though. Do they have seedless cherries yet? Like seedless grapes?

Someone should get on that.

big fan of rainer cherries

i have a few trees on the neighbors property(behind fence line) that i cant cut down, but want too...they drop leaves similar to this and for half the summer, i have to sweep the pool a few times a day to get it all out...they make a b line to the pool :reallymad:
dfJ4NYn.jpg

those are gorgeous!!Cherry trees are one of my favorite blooming trees!! mine have started blooming as well!!

I'm pretty ignorant (in general) and had no idea that those were cherry blossoms. I really don't know plants, flowers, trees... the list increases daily.

The Auroral forecast

a Strong (G3) Geomagnetic Storm watch is ongoing

"Geomagnetic Storm watch has been upgraded to include the possibility of Strong (G3) level conditions on both October 30th and 31st. Based on the latest tracking model, a solar wind speed of near 800 km/s is forecast. Should a G3 level storm materialize, visual aurora will likely be seen for locations as far south as 50 degrees geomagnetic latitude or beyond (Oregon, Nebraska, Pennsylvania etc). For now we wait."