• Start date
  • Replies 19 Comments
  • Views 1,175 Views

PuckOff

Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I stopped giving money to charities at the checkout and I have no problem saying no. I donate to charities regularly, but in the comfort of my own time and home.

I was at Costco the other day and the young girl asked if I wanted to donate to some charity and I politely said no thanks. She asked if I felt bad saying no to charities and I said absolutely not. I explained that I give to charities at various times throughout the year and that I get a receipt for tax purposes. I then asked is she felt bad asking customers to donate money to charities. I don't think she answered truthfully.

Do you give to charities at the checkout? If so, is it because you feel as though you were pressured to do so?

I would give them a dollar at the register if I am allowed to take their smiling picture......

Nope, I don't do it at the checkout either.

Mostly for the reason you said Pucky but also because I don't think its proper to lay a guilt trip on someone as they are paying at the register.

Also, you can't be sure about the legitimacy of the charity and how much actually goes to charity.

I don't trust them.

I feel bad for the minimum wage employes being forced to indirectly beg for charity.
No I don't give to any charities. I dislike the concept, I believe in rights not charities. I find it odd that people don't feel ashamed in a place with so much excess that there's a need for charity.

Cooolaaaay!

You should see how much edible product is thrown out at grocery stores.

I've witnessed first hand how they will trash hundreds of loaves of bread and other bakery products DAILY because they aren't fresh enough for picky buyers.

Also seen them trash fruits and vegetables for the same reason.

Cooolaaaay!

You should see how much edible product is thrown out at grocery stores.

I've witnessed first hand how they will trash hundreds of loaves of bread and other bakery products DAILY because they aren't fresh enough for picky buyers.

Also seen them trash fruits and vegetables for the same reason.

Why do most of my accounts pitch the baked goods? Because charities would distribute them out and people would take them back to the store and demand a refund to scam money. Yeah, the wrappers can be marked, but that's labor-intensive.

People would try to return a loaf of bread or a cake for a refund?

Who the fuck does that?

I'd be embarrassed trying to return food to the supermarket for a refund.

The amount of money that actually goes to the charity from those gas station and grocery store charities is roughly 50%. Too bad because the causes are worthy, it's the administrative costs and marketing that eat away at donations.

Who the fuck does that?

I'm dead serious. People will do anything in a scam.

The older produce, the local zoo will take it.

Pass thanks.

That's my insta-response to all requests for charity as well as telemarketers.

More often than not, I don't even know the specifics of what I'm refusing. It has become a mindless reflex.

I feel no obligation to explain or justify myself in any way to strangers with their hands out.

Passthanks.

That's it.

Who the fuck does that?

+1

Don't they ask for a receipt to return an item?

Many stores will give store credit with no receipt. Even better for the person. It's easy to buy 2 loaves of bread, then use the receipt for the day-old one.

Speaking of scams, it's amazing how many people return Indiana beer and pop cans to Michigan for deposit.

Many stores will give store credit with no receipt. Even better for the person. It's easy to buy 2 loaves of bread, then use the receipt for the day-old one.

Speaking of scams, it's amazing how many people return Indiana beer and pop cans to Michigan for deposit.

Thats not a scam brother. Thats just good ol American ingenuity.

why not return the indiana beer and pop cans in indiana?

Thats not a scam brother. Thats just good ol American ingenuity.

One of my best friends owns a beer distributorship. It costs them $1000's in paying accounts for out of state returnables.

Puckoff - not all states have deposit laws. Indiana and Ohio don't.

I feel bad for the minimum wage employes being forced to indirectly beg for charity.
No I don't give to any charities. I dislike the concept, I believe in rights not charities. I find it odd that people don't feel ashamed in a place with so much excess that there's a need for charity.

Shocked. Glad you cleared that up.