Boner's Equine Exploits

• Start date
  • Replies 247 Comments
  • Views 8,415 Views
Trying to get her into a race is impossible. The state of American racing is depressing. There's not enough horses to fill these races.

Trying to get her into a race is impossible. The state of American racing is depressing. There's not enough horses to fill these races.
Today I took the day to wager on simulcasting across the country.

It was pitiful

Keeneland
Evangeline Downs
Gulfstream

Only tracks today w large horse fields

Aqueduct was feast or famine.

Seeing 5 horse fields w 3/5 shots is just a fuck it race

Screenshot_20240419_182256_Mobile Print.jpg

Thursday race 7 @ The Big A.

I haven't assessed the rest of the field yet but our girl is ready to fire.

What's the core problem? There needs to be more horse investors?

So many problems but yes, at its core theres not enough owners. The other main problem is lack of interest in gambling generally (and horse racing specifically) by younger generations. Gamblers are the customers and races are the product. Attractive races (full fields with many potential winners and thus big payouts) are what track operators (which often includes the state government) want to put up. They want to attract gamblers but need to entice owners in order to race the best horses at their track. Ownership has always been a losing proposition but it used to be more popular. I could talk about it for hours... it's sad.

So many problems but yes, at its core theres not enough owners. The other main problem is lack of interest in gambling generally (and horse racing specifically) by younger generations. Gamblers are the customers and races are the product. Attractive races (full fields with many potential winners and thus big payouts) are what track operators (which often includes the state government) want to put up. They want to attract gamblers but need to entice owners in order to race the best horses at their track. Ownership has always been a losing proposition but it used to be more popular. I could talk about it for hours... it's sad.
Start a podcast Bone Bone!

Haha. There's tons of racing podcasts out there and all the industry does is talk about the problems. I like to try to take someone to the track each year, someone that's never been. I dunno. One of these days I'll fly down without my wife and kids and take the southern Florida crowd to Gulfstream. Bus Casper in to do a handicapping clinic.

Haha. There's tons of racing podcasts out there and all the industry does is talk about the problems. I like to try to take someone to the track each year, someone that's never been. I dunno. One of these days I'll fly down without my wife and kids and take the southern Florida crowd to Gulfstream. Bus Casper in to do a handicapping clinic.
Won’t need to bus me in lol.

I’ll be living a couple of hours from there come August.

Let me know if you make it that way this summer pal!