Big football game on Sunday

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
CFL Eastern Conference final, Toronto Argonauts vs Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Yeah that's right, I went there. Had everybody thinking one thing but it was a different thing.

These are hated rivals which, astoundingly improbable though it may be, have not to meet in the East Final since 1986.

Last time they met in this situation, me and some buddies got the shit kicked out of us by a mob of angry sore-loser Argos fans. Strange part was I was cheering for the Argos - as I will be tomorrow - but there were a couple of Ticats fans at our table so we all got lumped together for the beat down.

Good times! Winner tomorrow gets a trip to the Grey Cup.

Go Argos 'n shit.

Game is in Toronto btw. Argos favored by 4 with the total set at 54.

Rob Ford loves the Argos.

Argonauts?

Lets hope they bring the golden fleece back home to Toronto where it belongs!

What do you mean when you 'got the shit kicked out of you' ? just roughed up a little?

We got totally mugged.

There was a big beer strike in Ontario at the time so 4 of us went the The Avion - which is a bar near the airport, smackdab in Argo territory. Me and another guy were cheering for the Argos while my brother and James Shaw were cheering for the Ticats.

The Eastern final was a 2 game total points affair in those days. The Argos won the first game handily the week before, and took a healthy lead in game 2. I believe their aggregate lead got as high as about 28. Long story short, the Ticats stormed back and won. As thrilling as it was for a Ticats fan, it was devastating for the Argo backers. My brother was drunk and not discrete with his happiness through the whole comeback drama. After the final whistle he let out a great WHOOP ---> all four of us got jumped by the whole bar (or so it seemed). We were flying through tables and getting pummeled and the whole bit.

My one memory was after the initial assault had kind of ended - in a fog, I looked for my friends. Behind me, I saw one of those split doors and the bottom half was shut while the top was open. I saw some hands appear on top of the bottom door and slowly I saw my brother's afro and then his face as he dragged himself up. He drunkenly shouts something like, "AWWW, THESE GUYS ARE JUST A BUNCH OF SUCKS BECAUSE THE ARGOS ARE FUCKING LOSERS!!!"

:facepalm:

And a fist comes from out of nowhere and knocks him down again.

We got thoroughly bruised and bloodied. We did go to the hospital for the one guy. I think he was worried about something with his eye. I recall sitting in the waiting room with blood all over my face and people kept saying, "Don't you think maybe you should see a doctor too?"

Naw.

Those are the details as I remember them.

How about Chiefs v Broncos?

In truth, I am a lot more interested in that game. Fortunately the times do not conflict.

Well I don't know why I say fortunately; I am very unlikely to watch more than a few plays of the Argos game regardless. I'm much more an NFL guy than CFL.

But just thought I'd lob that CFL angle in there anyway.

They showed on ESPN the Montreal k kicking the 24-yard FG that the wind knocked down last week, that was unreal.

Damn. That's quite a story MC.

On a side note, the only CFL game I bet this year was on the Argonauts. They won and covered.

Rob Ford loves the Argos.

And he wants to do this again! Go Argoosss!!!

6a00e55214ffbe8834017ee5b0fdf8970d-pi

I find the Argos reaction to Ford's fandom humorous.

Statement from the Argos CEO:

One thing I will clarify is the mayor has not been invited to the game. I dont know if hes coming to the game. He does come down here on occasion and, like any other citizen, he can buy tickets and come down and cheer for the Argonauts."

How much the Argos will be affected by the loss of Chad Kackert is of course the big question.

Kackert.

They are missing their Kack Attack, if you will.

Shootout in the early going. Argos up 14-10 early in the 2nd qtr.

Philly's not doing too bad ha Mr. Monkey?

Philly's not doing too bad ha Mr. Monkey?

Cami is wiping the floor with me in Fantasy Foots but the Eagles have me so happy! I'm even brought out a jersey from mothballs to wear today!

reb-7009a-224eqj4848.jpg