Any of you guys know how to make a mobile app?

• Start date
  • Replies 14 Comments
  • Views 1,628 Views

iifold

Since
Nov 29, 2011
Score
Tokens
RJ, you probably know how to make these things...

Where does one begin? I'd imagine paying a web design company is -EV...

what is your end goal?

I want to make a simple, yet perfectly functioning chat app for daily fantasy sports fans. A place where people can just go to discuss lineups and sweat the games together on their phones. I have a generic site up at DFSchat.com. Like the domain, need to upgrade the site and develop a nice app. I have a few ideas for monetizing and such but that's down the line.

i don't know foldi, things can get pricey quickly with these things, you need to hire somebody to code it for you, look for a coder in one of the freelancing websites like odesk, you got to go with a foreigner to be affordable, western hackers are real expensive, you got to get lucky to find someone good and not sink your money with no progress, you got to stay on top of it and set milestones, basically be the project manager yourself which is no easy thing

there's also smaller boutique shops around the us that can code it for you but that'll run you around 20k-30k, dealing with americans, better communications etc but pricey, silicon valley shops will run you like 100k like gigster.com

dropbox bought an app in 2013 for $100 million and yesterday announced they'll discontinue it, imagine the reach they have and they couldn't make it work, apps business is very hard foldi, unless you got a strong plan to support it after envelopment it will not be worth it

best would be to hack it yourself or find a partner to do it for you while you bring something else to the table

Thanks for the feedback! I for sure don't want to get into a money pit situation.

Think I'll pitch to a few guys and see if they'll take it on as a side project.

RJ, you probably know how to make these things...

Where does one begin? I'd imagine paying a web design company is -EV...

If you want to make it look perty then ya maybe a design company or designer. If you want to develop an app then you would need to hire or contract out the work to a developer. App developer to be more specific.

I want to make a simple, yet perfectly functioning chat app for daily fantasy sports fans. A place where people can just go to discuss lineups and sweat the games together on their phones. I have a generic site up at DFSchat.com. Like the domain, need to upgrade the site and develop a nice app. I have a few ideas for monetizing and such but that's down the line.

You should concentrate on getting a nice functioning website first.

You should concentrate on getting a nice functioning website first.

Yeah, I know the site sucks, but don't want to put too much into the site before I find out if the app is possible. The app and site need to work as one, and I don't know enough about apps to proceed with the site first.

Another problem I'm wondering about. How many people could realistically be chatting at the same time on their phones in one chat room? I know Periscope closes their chat after about 100 join a room.

Why would you need an app for integrating chat with a website? Just give your site a mobile-friendly layout. Learn CSS and you don't need an app.

dropbox bought an app in 2013 for $100 million and yesterday announced they'll discontinue it, imagine the reach they have and they couldn't make it work

Do we know what happened there? I'm a happy Carousel user, can't understand why they'd need to shut it down. It organizes my photos and makes them easier to find. Neat little app.

Why would you need an app for integrating chat with a website? Just give your site a mobile-friendly layout. Learn CSS and you don't need an app.

Just think an app will keep people in the chat room longer and get them to visit more frequently. The generic site I have up now has a mobile version, I just don't like it. www.dfschat.com/mobile (it sucks)

Technically, the dfs sites don't need apps for their sites, but it makes it just so much better. DraftKings and Fanduel have great apps that make it easy to check and build your teams. The smaller sites don't have apps, and you'd be surprised how much better the experience is playing with FD and DK's is just because they have apps.

Just think an app will keep people in the chat room longer and get them to visit more frequently. The generic site I have up now has a mobile version, I just don't like it. www.dfschat.com/mobile (it sucks)...

Make it not suck without the app.

If you want my opinion apps will all die when we have phones and browsers that all access the internet. You won't even have apps when browsers are strong enough to open the phone client and call someone all in the browser OS.

Do we know what happened there? I'm a happy Carousel user, can't understand why they'd need to shut it down. It organizes my photos and makes them easier to find. Neat little app.

lack of users to make it worthwhile i guess

I guess it is weird to use a separate app to see your photos laid out in a different way. Makes sense to just integrate the functionality to the main Dropbox app.