Any members of fraternal/sororal organizations (non-collegiate) here?

• Start date
  • Replies 8 Comments
  • Views 1,339 Views

RogueScholar

I love you, Chord!
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I used to be a member of DeMolay and the Freemasons some years ago, and hadn't really even though about them much until I saw a post from Peep that referenced that family of voluntary associations. I fell away from the whole concept of the mutual benefit soceity when I got deeper into "dark pharmaceuticals," there just wasn't the time nor the inclination to put up a front of legitimacy.

I ask the question because I'd like to put my own experiences into context. Hindsight being a rather advantageous viewpoint, my own experiences seem to reflect a broader social landscape of erosion in interpersonal relations. It only seems fair to concede, though, that my bias naturally hinders me from establishing that with any accuracy.

All thoughts are welcome; this is something of an attempt on my part to add to the spectra of GL threads, provoking some introspection and exchange of differing perspectives.

:peace:

Fraternities are for people who do no know how to make friends.

SamsNCharge99 is a frat recruiter..how dare you!

I have not been a member of an organization like that (unless you count my years hanging around AA which is a whole long discussion in itself).

I think I need some fleshing out of the concept here before I will know how to jump in. You are saying that the fraternal organization led to an erosion of interpersonal relationships?

Although I am not a member of any of these organizations I have thought a lot lately about exploring them. I really see them as a network more than anything and making your network larger (especially in an economy like today's) is always a great idea. A person never knows when when they might need to lean on their network to guide them through tough times. I do realize that these organizations operate differently in different regions of the country as far as geographic differences and social differences.

I am not sure this is what rogue was looking for but just my two cents.

I am currently in the position of switching careers. I started to network with alumni, and friend's parents for career advice. One thing I have noticed is that most of the people who I have met with, are a member of a few different groups, that span many areas of interest. Malcolm Gladwell talks about in one of his books about building a network, and the idea that you need move beyond your friends to network, beacause often times you are friends because of your similiar interest and or backgrounds.. I think these clubs provide an opportunity to met and network with people outside your close circle.

I this place counts then yes. I can also include Onlinetradersforum.com, AIC, SBR, If it doesn't, then no.