• Replies 45 Comments
  • Views 3,420 Views

Matty

0-fers Will Happen™
Since
Jan 26, 2010
Score
Tokens
I bought a bunch of bottles the other day. Shit is so cheap here.

White Owl Whisky

wow.jpg

This shit has been filtered so much that there is no color, or flavor, left. It has essentially been turned into a neutral spirit. Most pointless non-whisky ever. Good for mixing with Diet Coke. 4 Matty Rains

Collingwood

collingwood.png

Newish whisky from the company that owns Jack Daniel's. Like JD, this is filtered through charcoal. It has a taste somewhat similar to JD, but it's more flavorful and probably aged a bit longer. Overly sweet but impressive considering the ultra-low price point. Stupidest bottle design ever - looks like oversized cologne. 6.9 Matty Rains

Forty Creek Barrel Select

forty-creek.jpg

Bargain bin price point and bland bottle design make for a pretty underwhelming first impression. The liquid itself exceeds all expectations - this is a complex whisky that has a bit of everything, spice, wood & fruit. Very sweet like all Canadian whisky but at that price point we're thoroughly impressed. Might be the only Canadian dram we're planning on buying again. 8 Matty Rains

I like Royal Crown. Is that whiskey Matty?

Crown Royal is whisky indeed. Fine product. The Black version is even better even though it's stupidly over-colored with caramel coloring (E150A).

Good call Paverballs.

O man I used to drink a lot of that shit but it's been awhile.

If ever I meet Matty, I'm gonna have a drink with the guy.

does Lord Calvert count?

does Lord Calvert count?

Never heard of/seen it! $10 a bottle, really? Liquor stores don't carry it here. :uh::uh::uh:

yes, I like the cheap Canadian Whiskey such as Black Velvet mixed with pepsi, and Crown, which is not cheap.

Never heard of/seen it! $10 a bottle, really? Liquor stores don't carry it here. :uh::uh::uh:
that makes no sense????
CLC BABY:weee:
Canadian Lord Calvert
I've drank it few times but I stick with JD most of the time.
actually havent drank any whiskey in at least a month or 2.
I dont have the brain/body filter that tells me when to stop with JD.
Hangovers were getting to harsh for me to bear..ie: cant function next day

Lord Calvert is now owned by Beam. Das not very Canadian.

Senco you would like Collingwood. I don't know if they sell it outside Ontario.

http://brown-forman.com/brands/

The best Canadian Whiskey used to be Alberta Springs Sipping Whiskey. That was back before I ever thought about getting sober (pre 1990). It was a premium product that came in a wooden box. I don't know what kind of wood it was but it had a distinctive and very nice smell. Many people would use those boxes to store cassette tapes and whatnot.

The whiskey itself was sublime, a spiritual experience.

Then I got sober for a number of years. Then I relapsed and I tried Alberta Springs again. It was still pretty good but it was no longer the extra special treat it was before. They had changed it. The pricing was more in line with other ryes and there was no more cute little box.

But I sure did drink a lot of it sometimes. I don't know what is going on with it now.

As I recall, what I drank most of at that time was Wiser's Deluxe. It was a reasonable balance of price and quality and you could get those great big bottles.

anyone ever tried NN-DMT????:happyface:

Next time you are feeling special buy this:

ConfederationOak.jpg

I have worked with many types of oak barrels, first as a wine maker and then as a whisky maker. Every wood, whether it is from a bourbon barrel, port barrel, sherry cask, French, Balkan or American oak, creates a distinctive taste expression. As a proud Canadian whisky maker, I have always been curious what a Canadian whisky would taste like aged in a Canadian oak barrel, because most Canadian whiskies are aged in American oak.

To my delight, I discovered some massive Canadian white oak trees that were growing only 40 miles from the distillery! They must have started growing just before Confederation in 1867 because they were 4 feet in diameter and over 150 years old. The selected trees were harvested from a sustainably managed forest employing the principle of no tree before its time. This forest has a mixture of young trees coming up in the understory, mature trees in full productive vigor, and old trees whose growth has slowed. These older trees block sunlight and rainfall from the younger trees and when over-matured, need to be removed.

I thought I could give them a second career as whisky barrels. Canadian and American white oak trees are the same species. However, the cooler growing conditions in Canada result in slower growing trees that are more dense than their American counterparts. Consequently, the aromas and flavour profiles of Canadian oak are very different due to the Canadian terroir.

This is truly an iconic whisky. Canadian whisky, aged in Canadian oak barrels, harvested from trees that first rooted themselves in Canadian soil 150 years ago during Confederation.

:yes: I will definitely be trying the premium Forty Creeks in the near future. I'm quite impressed by the dirt cheap Barrel Select and the fancier offerings are still cheaper than most good scotches.

:canada:

Muddy there seems to be a general consensus that whisky, at least in the low-end range, has become less tasty over the years. One explanation is that the increased demand forces blenders to use younger whiskies to create their recipes. There just isn't enough older whisky to go around. There should be a rebound effect in a decade or so, as the ramped-up production is ready to be bottled.

Well for me, taste was important but not as much as the size of the bottle.

smallestwomaninworld.jpg

I may or may not live with someone who manages the Brown-Forman family trust/assets. Impressive portfolio reaching all the way into Canuk-land.

Nice bonerballs! That's one hugh company for sure.

I'm fascinated by these holding companies. They don't seem to intervene much, if at all, in the day-to-day or the final products that go out.