Another song-that-sounds-like-a-song lawsuit

• Start date
  • Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 5,429 Views
There has been some kind of thing where Madonna feels that Lady Gaga has been ripping her off. She - Madonna - actually did a thing during her concerts where she went back and forth between Lady Gaga's Born This Way and some Madonna song to show everyone how similar they are.

I am kinda with Madonna on this one. Born This Way came on the other day - and I am not very familiar with it - and I was sure for a long time I was hearing a Madonna song. Until they got to the refrain and I realized, "Oh it's that." I don't even know what Madonna song it is supposed to be but whatever, seems like there is something to that.

I kinda prefer things get handled how Madonna is doing it. Never mind the lawsuits - particularly if you're rich as fok. Just do your bitching and carry on with life.

The musical plagiarism lawsuit that always seemed correct to me - although I don't want to believe it because I am about a million times as much a fan of George Harrison as The Chiffons - but yeah, My Sweet Lord sure sounds real close to the melody of He's So Fine which came out ~7 years before.

A vid with both if anyone is interested. It switches at about the 1:50 mark

I read the autobiography of Pattie Boyd (George Harrison's ex-wife and also Eric Clapton's ex-wife). She and Harrison were married at the time of this lawsuit. She said that George was anal about having a radio in the house playing because of this issue and after the lawsuit was even more so. He did not want to take the chance he would be influenced by another song.

Funny. That would be the opposite of my reaction (if I was seriously worried about that kind of thing). I would want to hear a radio as little as possible so there was less chance of something sub-consciously sinking in.

sorry, I didn't word it properly. He was anal about NOT having a radio playing in the house at any time.

Oh. I thought we were saying he wanted to be aware of all popular music so there could be no accidents.

I guess you could approach it either way.

Me? If I'm George Harrison, I just shrug it off and move on.

Born This Way sounds almost identical to Madonnas Express Yourself.

It was obvious the first time I heard it. I felt that Lady Gagas 2nd release was very weak.

When you mess with the tempo and pitch and mash 'em together - these actually do sound closer than I would have guessed just from listening with the naked ear.

But Tom Petty can still honk on bobo.

Best Coast "California Nights"

Great song.

Don't see any lawsuits in its future.

Echosmith "Cool Kids"

They've seem to have written a song that sounds like Taylor Swift but their song sounds better than any Taylor Swift song and they haven't used any of her melodies.

:dunno:

Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke’s 'Blurred Lines' copyright saga continues after lawyers for the pair demanded a new trial.

Trying to do something about that $7.4 million decision.

Not new, but just read about this one last night. What do you think?

Some of you music types are better suited to tell how close these are, or are not. Don't google it, judge for yourself before finding out the outcome...

Too close. I find her guilty or whatever.

I am really lenient in these things - and it would not amaze me to find that whoever wrote Kerosene had never heard the Steve Earle song and just came up with a similar thing independently.

But as far the precedents I am aware of, IMO, that's a stronger case for copying than most.

Miranda Lambert wrote it herself. It seems she later gave him credit for writing the song (after being called out on it, ) and called it a case of "unintentional plagiarism." I don't think there were lawsuits involved. I wonder if she gave him royalties or what not.

Ironically that is the considered her "break out" song that put her on the map so to speak...

"putt her on the map." lol. That's a good example of whatever word/phrase we were discussing a few weeks ago.

But yeah, Miranda Lambert. I like her....even if she is a plagiarist.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-country-starlet-who-stole-her-big-hit-off-crack-addict/
Stole it from a crackhead to boot...

It says she gave him co-writing credit. That = royalties.

We don't like Miranda Lambert much at all but I tried not to let that influence my verdict. But yeah, that is some hard-to-ignore pilferage.

Sometimes the song they copied from is also bad so it's a double whammy when someone copies it to make another bad song.

You'd think U2's Desire is a rip off D/A/E/A/E repeat, then repeat again

but it isn't

it's just genius.

Willie Dixon, who wrote You Need Love for Muddy Waters, has a writing credit on Whole Lotta Love.