• Views 5,429 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
This stuff is pissing me off

Robin Thicke noticeably ripped off Marvin Gayes 1977 hit Got to Give It Up when he wrote the smash hit Blurred Lines with Pharrell Williams and T.I., a Los Angeles jury has decided. He and co-songwriter Pharrell Williams must pay Gayes family $7.3 million as part of the ruling, according to Variety. The verdict puts to rest over a years worth of legal back and forth between Thicke and Gayes estate, in which the latter sought $25 million in damages.

I can hear the similarity between the backing instrumentals - but I can a hear a similarity in backing instrumentals between ten zillion songs. There are only so many instruments. There are only so many notes.

At least these guys had the decency to be pissed off, unlike Sam Smith who seemed all amicable and whatnot with Tom Petty whom I now consider a piece of shit.

"While we respect the judicial process, we are extremely disappointed in the ruling made today, which sets a horrible precedent for music and creativity going forward," a spokesperson for Williams tells Rolling Stone. "Pharrell created ‘Blurred Lines’ from his heart, mind and soul and the song was not taken from anyone or anywhere else. We are reviewing the decision, considering our options and you will hear more from us soon about this matter."

The part they took is very distinctive. I don't know how it works if they sample a beat or a lyric. Besides getting credit, are they entitled to a cut of all sales? I remember when The Verve released Bittersweet Symphony, the Stones ended up getting all proceeds.

Men at Work lost for supposedly ripping off Kookaburra

I still and always will think they're innocent.

I read the Gaye's are looking to maybe make some more quick dough with a suit against Pharrell again for "happy" sound too close to "Ain't that Peculiar

I was gabbing with buddyboy here about the Blurred Lines situation. While I just have a generalized anger about it, he actually knew a little bit of detail about what happened in court.

Apparently it all started with Robin Thicke approaching Pharrell, saying, "I want to do something that sounds like Marvin Gaye."

You know what tho? That does not move me. Nobody writes a song that isn't influenced by what they have heard in their life. It's impossible. Consciously or unconsciously. Whether you say it out loud or not.

As a songwriting hobbyist, it happens all the time.

I can almost sympathize if it's someone living on the street who is trying that stuff. I have no idea if there are members of the Gaye family are in that category.

It doesn't excuse the court for their decision tho.

As for Tom Petty ---> go fuck yourself.

If the MG estate owns the rights, they deserve money. They can make a sing that's influenced and give credit.

The melodies are very different. Yes, there are similarities in the music but as Mudcat pointed out, there are only so many notes available.

Melodies are protected by law. Think that 6 or more of the notes can't be the same in the same order or something to that effect.

I found a potential lawsuit the other day. Listen to the verse of "The Weight Of Love" by The Black Keys and then listen to the verse of "You Haunt Me" by Sir Sly.

I can hear the similarity. If music is such a big business who knows. Let them assholes fight it out. :dunno:

Btw, I started to write a song for SASS, it was getting somewhere a little, then I realized I was playing Just One More Thing :facepalm: needless to say I had to nix the project:mrquincy:

But I agree fok Tom Petty, just cause

I can hear the similarity. If music is such a big business who knows. Let them assholes fight it out. :dunno:

Btw, I started to write a song for SASS, it was getting somewhere a little, then I realized I was playing Just One More Thing :facepalm: needless to say I had to nix the project:mrquincy:

But I agree fok Tom Petty, just cause

Why should the Gaye estate let someone rip it off and not get compensated? They did fight it out and the idiots lost.