• Replies 0 Comments
  • Views 1,607 Views

Rubyn

Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
lenonmccartney-1.jpg

Well finally, a theme night I can enjoy. The music of Lennon/McCartney. I am writing this of course after I have heard all of the performances. The true sign of effective song writing is when a simpleton such as Tim Urban can put forth a decent performance. Overall, this was the strongest week for most of the nine remaining contestants. But alas, someone must go home.

Aaron Kelley

The Long and Winding Road

[Robyn] Boy, the American Idol makeover magicians sure did a number on this kid. He went from a weird looking teenager to a presentably cute nerd. As I predicted last week, the judges are getting tired of his safe performances. He may possibly place in the bottom three, but he will not be going home.
[Joey B] Everyone thinks Aaron is Yoda, and I think that's a pretty close approximation of his voice. Aaron started us off tonight with a barely passable performance of The Long and Winding Road. He still sounds flat all the way through the song and it's just so boring to hear him sing it. I can't believe this kid is actually still in the competition. I almost would rather hear Didi tearing up again and again to fulfill my daily dose of schadenfreude than be subjected to Flat Stanley one more night. Aaron was more Linda McCartney than Lennon-McCartney tonight.

Randy Beautiful tone but I didnt like the sleepy arrangement.
Ellen - It felt like a long and winding song.
Kara - Every week for me it feels like the same performance.
Simon - It was very old fashioned, very boring.

Katie Stevens

Let it Be

[Robyn] I have been waiting for a week like this for Katie. Her vocals were incredible and the performance was well executed. I do not expect her to appear in the bottom three this week.
[Joey B] Katie got the golden ticket... Let it Be. Coming off last week's disaster, she gave us an honest performance with feeling for the first time in a long time. That said, there is some nasal quality to her voice that I notice more and more. Katie just doesn't have the stage presence or likability that I'd expect in an Idol winner.

Randy - This is your best performance ever.
Ellen - That was an example of changing it just enough to make it your own.
Kara - You're blossoming and you're confident.
Simon - Tonight you got it right.

Andrew Garcia

Can't Buy Me Love

[Robyn] The stylists are attempting to hide the neck tattoo, but I still see it creep every now and then. Andrews performance was OK but nothing spectacular, although I loved the horn section. He will certainly be in the bottom three tonight and possibly going home.
[Joey B] The higher the hair, the closer to God... I think he's totally lost it. Andrew's performance with the backing brass sounded like an over the top farce. Tom Jones can pull that off, but Andrew, Oh Andrew... he just can't cut it. He's become a self parody and everyone seems in on the joke but him.

Randy - I think you sounded good performing. It was a little corny.
Ellen - It was a lot of fun
Kara - I just don't know that I've seen anything new from you this week.
Simon - I think you and the band together kind of got this wrong.

Michael Lynche

Eleanor Rigby

[Robyn] I absolutely loved Green Miles performance tonight, but I am sure that has everything to do with the fact I am a fan of the dramatic arts. The thing that worries me the most, and has for a while, is that Michael has no clear direction as to which genre he favors. This will ultimately hurt his chances to win.
[Joey B] Michael's family had a band called the Lynche Mob in Florida. There is something just not quite right about that... in a Strange Fruit kind of way. Somebody forgot to explain to Michael that Eleanor Rigby is not exactly an upbeat song. Big Mike/Green Mile sang very well tonight, but the arrangement seemed unusual and just too... big.

Randy - You can do whatever you want. I love seeing the artist in you blossom.
Ellen - I thought that was a huge risk... but I thought that was incredible.
Kara - I thought that was FIRE!
Simon - This was the sort of thing you see and hear in musicals. I don't think it made you contemporary.

Crystal Bowersox

Come Together
[Robyn] While she does it very well, Crystal is a one trick pony. I do not see any change or growth from one week to the next. I keep waiting for the judges to ask her to take the infamous risk but it hasnt happened as of yet. But its coming. I have been watching this show for nine years now and I know my American Idol sociology. Mark my words. The public will grow tired of the same act each week.
[Joey B] Wait... Accompaniment by a digeridoo? Seriously? Come together is one of my least favorite songs by the Beatles. Tonight's performance was kind of... meh... for me. Frankly, Crystal sang well, or rather, there was nothing I could put my finger on that was really bad. It just seemed like more of the same to me. And please, American Idol, please never show us her kid again. He looks like he's got progeria. [Robyn] LMAOOOOOOOOO Joey!! Thats absolutely terrible, but funny.

Randy - Another solid performance. I don't know if it was your best.
Ellen - You never cease to amaze me.
Kara - I think this is one of my favorite performances of yours so far.
Simon - That's a performance I could hear on the radio.

cuties.jpg

Tim Urban

All My Loving

[Robyn] For the first time this season, Tim put forth a decent performance. He looked comfortable on stage, he sang in tune, he did a little something different with his hair and he sang with his security blankethis guitar. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a weirdo. The little girls love this guy. While he will certainly be in the bottom three, I dont think he will be going home.
[Joey B] Tim gave his best performance ever tonight. It was hysterical. Surprisingly, his voice didn't sound half bad. Don't get me wrong, I haven't turned into a twelve year old girl or anything, but it was actually GOOD. Still, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Randy - You are in your own category. It was a good Tim performance.
Ellen - I think it was a really good performance.
Kara I like that you are listening to what we are dishing out to you.
Simon - I thought you did really well tonight with that song.

Casey James

Jealous Guy

[Robyn] I have a strong affinity for Lennons solo work. I was absolutely mesmerized by Caseys performance and thought that it was not just the best of the night but one of the best I have heard from all nine seasons of American Idol.
[Joey B] Casey picked a song that I'm really don't know that well. And if I don't know it, you can count on American Idol's lowest common denominator audience not knowing it either. But he sang it well and I assume he made it his own, because I can't imagine Lennon singing it anything like that.

Randy - I was really impressed that you took this kind of lead.
Ellen - That to me was your best performance to date.
Kara - What you showed tonight was a vulnerability. It was very tasteful on the acoustic.
Simon - I think it was the best performance of the night so far.

Siobhan Magnus

Across the Universe

[Robyn] Siobhan had quite a few intonation issues tonight as well as a weird nasal sound I havent heard from her thus far. She could certainly benefit from vocal lessons. Even so, she has a natural talent and is one of my two picks to make it to the finals.
[Joey B] I'm really starting to think that Siobhan is mildly retarded, because when she talks it's like things aren't quite connected securely in her head. But tonight, for the first time, I can really get behind Siobhan. That was by far my favorite performance she's given this entire season. There was no bullshit hanging back and then trying to showcase a single, strong note. She gave a beautiful rendition of one of my favorite Lennon songs.

Randy - I like the whole tender side. Still a little sleepy.
Ellen - I think you should always honor who you are. You are really special.
Kara - I think it was very restrained and polite.
Simon - You were much, much, much better than last week.

poser.jpg

Lee Dewyze

Hey Jude

[Robyn] This performance was a mess to me. The vocals were out of tune, the performance seemed contrived (as Simon likes to say) and the bagpipes were not at all appropriate. Six thumbs down.
[Joey B] Lee got the other golden ticket tonight... the song that everyone thinks they can sing. Lee gave a great performance tonight, changing up the song just enough. It was spot on... right up until the crazy ass, apropos of nothing bagpipe player came tromping down the stairs and rocked out beside him. Just bizarre. But this was maybe the first week where he seems to have settled down and not looked rattled before going on stage.

Randy- It was another hot one for you. Please believe.
Ellen - I thought it was a great job, I loved it.
Kara - There were some good moments... there were a few off moments.
Simon - I wouldn't have done that. (Indicating the bagpipe player)

Going home:
[Robyn] Andrew Garcia
[Joey B] Andrew Garcia