• Start date
  • Replies 0 Comments
  • Views 1,384 Views

Rubyn

Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
The final 11 contestants perform #1 hits from the Billboard charts. With a “mentor” such as Miley Cyrus, it was a little surprising that the song catalog was limited.

top11.gif

I also have a bit of bad news. During our trip to Orlando last weekend, we seemed to have misplaced Savior Dog, or so we thought. I received a call late Sunday from our friend Rho indicating that she has Savior Dog and that he has already been on a lot of interesting adventures. Don’t fret Savior Dog fans, he will return shortly.

IMG00111-20100319-1735-1-1.jpg

Lee DeWyze

‘The Letter’

[Robyn] During the pre-clip, Miley starts off by stating that Lee is lacking in the area of stage presence. Without his guitar, Lee really has no idea what to do with his hands. While his intonation was much better (less “pitchy” for the novice), some singers are never meant to perform on stage. Lee is one of these people. I actually felt uncomfortable for him, the way I feel when Michael Bubl sings an up-tempo song, with a pretentious air of forced confidence.
[Joey B] Lee's performance of ‘The Letter’ was in the vein of Joe Cocker, one of my favorite singers. Thankfully, he didn't completely channel Joe, as Cocker's crazy ass grimaces and movements creep me the hell out. A good performance, but not the kind of song that voters are going to get behind in numbers. He needs to be more aware of picking songs that speak to the voting audience.

Randy - You knocked it out of the box.
Kara - You're finally owning the stage. The progress is tremendous.
Ellen - My favorite pen is back. *licks*
Simon - That was you doing something quite corny.

Paige Miles

‘Against All Odds’

[Robyn] It’s really a bitch when a singers nerves get the best of them. It is clear she is terrified on stage, so terrified of imperfection, that she is blowing it. Unfortunately for Paige, she can’t blame her nerves this week on Michael Jackson’s death.
[Joey B] Oh Paige... You took one of my iconic 80's songs and destroyed it. I know your voice wasn't 100% last week and I assume that it's still an issue. There was just nothing good to say about this. You are undoubtedly going home tonight and giving everyone else immunity.

Randy - Yo dog, dog dog dog, it was terrible.
Ellen - You didn't fall down, that was good.
Kara - Somewhere along the line you stopped completing.
Simon - That song has just killed you.

Tim Urban

‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’

[Robyn] WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA??? Ok, first of all, I am not a Queen fan, not for the lack of trying. I always thought this was an original by The Chipmunks from their Chipmunk Punk album.
Urban’s performance was a complete disaster from beginning to end. And sadly? I don’t think he will be going home this week. He never should have been there to begin with, but I think he will stick around for another week or two. Yuck.
[Joey B] Tim sounds like he's half a beat behind the band and he is be-bopping and scatting all over the stage. The ghost of Freddy Mercury will haunt him for the rest of his days. I hate him with every fiber of my being, but he is not going home tonight.

Randy - Yo Tim, wow. The dopest thing you did was the slide. It was like bad karaoke.
Ellen - It felt like an audition for High School Musical, it was corny and pushed too hard. I didn't get it.
Kara – Little girls will eat that up.
Simon - The sliding distracted from the song so I understand why you did that.

Aaron Kelly

‘I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing’

[Robyn] The kid really does have a good voice. I am just not sure how much longer he can get away with only singing slower tempo songs. It’s only a matter of time until the judges tell him to start “showing more personality”. Aaron is definitely safe from elimination this week.
[Joey B] Aaron picked up laryngitis and tonsillitis so his voice is going to suck more than usual and he doesn't disappoint. Any note he had to hold for any length of time showcased his bizarre signature vibrato. I don't understand anyone liking this kid, but for now they're still voting for him. He'll be here for the top 10.

Randy - Yo alright, so listen man, it wasn't perfect, but let me tell you something, I am a fan!
Ellen - That was a perfect song choice for you. You are so good. You are so good.
Kara - Best song choice of the night. Week to week you really know how to pick a song that accentuates your voice.
Simon - For your age, you are making yourself old fashioned, but there is zero chance you are going home.

Crystal Bowersox

‘Me & Bobby McGee’

[Robyn] I just don’t get it. Perhaps Crystal is a Wiccan High Priestess and has placed some sort of bizarre spell on everyone. But not me! Every song she chooses sounds like an exact replica of the original artist. Crystal claims she has a surprise in store for next week. I am guessing she will be using eye of newt and toe of salamander to woo everyone.
[Joey B] Crystal picked a song that plays directly to her strengths and she may take some flak for this, but she knocked it out of the park. She gave it a little Janis and put her own sweetness in it. The makeover is halfway done too. She's starting to look like the kind of girl you can bring home to mom (and not catch shit for it).

Randy - Yo, listen, check this out. America! That's what it's called being a star and a dope singer.
Ellen - I was so happy to hear that. I feel like there's something between you and us.
Kara - Drop the guitar next week, let go.
Simon - I wouldn't change a thing. I've heard Pink sing that version and that was as good as that performance.

Michael Lynche

‘When a Man Loves a Woman’

[Robyn] Green Mile has been cutting a completely different vocal rug lately. He has come a long way from his white people song phase and seems to be settling quite comfortably into his R&B roots. GM’s performance was decent, but I always have issue with singers who change genres according to the advice of producers. To me, music is what you feel, not what fills your pocketbook.
[Joey B] Michael Lynche proved tonight that he belongs in the top four. He chose a song that showcased his voice and style. He made Miley melt in the rehearsals. Safe. Boring. I want to hear him sing some Rufus Thomas before he puts me nighty-night.

Randy - So check it out baby, check it out. You know what I love man? You know who you are...this R&B dude. (This is me, Robyn. WTF is Randy talking about? Green Mile started out singing Maroon 5 songs!)
Ellen - Safe choice and this woman loves that man
Kara- Technically it was good but it was boring and loungey at times.
Simon - Kara was right, you made it very loungey. You have a good voice and people like you.

Andrew Garcia

‘I Heard it Through the Grapevine’

garciatattoo.png

[Robyn] Let’s discuss neck tattoos for a moment. Who does this? Gang bangers? The mistress of Sandra Bullock’s husband? Just weird people in general, I'm guessing. I know that this does not make someone a good or bad singer, but my eyes will always judge and when the first thing I focus on is this giant tattoo along your jugular, I can’t help but think that life has led you in the wrong direction. When is American Idol going to start giving neck tattoo makeovers? I hope soon. Andrew is in trouble. He has zero consistency with his song choices each week and has failed to relate to the audience. I fear he is in serious jeopardy of going home this week.
[Joey B] Andrew has been in a downhill tumble for several weeks now. Something about this performance reminded me of Greg Kinnear singing Summertime at the end of the movie 'Stuck on You"... over the top and hokey. I've never been completely sure of Andrew as a performer and as time goes on, I'm less so. I think that he's been coasting along on the momentum of his early ‘Straight Up’ performance. Andrew is not long for this world, but is lucky in that there are a couple other people who are more likely to go home first.

Randy - Aww…dawg. For me it wasn't good.
Ellen – It wasn’t fantastic.
Kara - You don't know what to do up there.
Simon -Maybe we just overrated that moment of Paula's song. The arrangement was horrific.

Katie Stevens

‘Big Girls Don’t Cry’

[Robyn] For one of my favorite singers, this was a terrible vocal performance. It almost sounded as if she were singing in a different key. I don’t really have much more to say than that. At the beginning of the competition, Katie started out with a huge bang and has been (in my opinion) slipping each week. Safe for now, but needs to get back on track.
[Joey B] Katie's performed very well tonight, but there is something about her voice that seemed a little irritating tonight. Maybe it was just the song, because I hate Fergie. It doesn't really matter though, because she's sailing on to the top four.

Randy - I'm liking that you're at least listening. (to our advice)
Ellen - I think it was your best performance so far.
Kara – This is the lane for you. R&B with pop leanings.
Simon - The way you look… this week is chalk and cheese compared to last week. (what??)

Casey James

‘The Power of Love’

[Robyn] He can sing and play guitar and look pretty, that’s for sure. This performance was decent, but nothing spectacular and sounded far too much like the original. Safe.
[Joey B] Casey James made a good choice of song tonight and brought a strong, fun performance. Too bad most of the people likely to be voting aren't old enough to remember it. What can one say? He's ok... and not really bad like some of the people have been. Safe and in the top 8.

Randy - Yo man listen, I am a fan of yours but I wasn’t a fan of the song choice.
Ellen - Best vocal of the night.
Kara - You are just on another level, you are ready to make an album.
Simon - That song was old fashioned 20 years ago when it came out.

Didi Benami

‘You’re No Good’

[Robyn] Well, I loved it. I think she has an interesting tone and this was my favorite vocal of the evening. But what do I know? Some of my favorite singers have already been sent home. I think the judges will change their opinion when they listen back to performances of the evening.
[Joey B] Didi obviously didn't read my critique last week when I told her not to make faces. Her cuteness is all she has going for her at this point and scowling can only ruin it. Her voice is just weird. She needs to go home, but won't tonight. Count your lucky stars Didi.

Randy - I love the idea of it. It was pitchy and never quite caught.
Kara - I felt like you were playing a character. It left me confused.
Ellen- I just didn't get that song choice.
Simon - There was a certain irony you screeching out, "You're no good."

Siobhan Magnus

‘Superstition’

[Robyn] Goodness, this girl can sing. But the scatting and screaming will get old. She needs to calm down a bit before she falls into Mariah Carey and Adam Lambert mode.
[Joey B] I got it! I know what Siobhan reminds me of when not made up for the stage... one of the guys from The Kids in the Hall dressed as a woman. She speaks like Mira Sorvino playing Romy and for some reason, she got made up to look like bizarro Belinda Carlisle. Fortunately, her voice redeemed her crazy ass getup. I think this is her best performance so far and one of the best tonight.

Randy - I thought it was great. You've got so much conviction.
Ellen - More please. You're just so good.
Kara - You express yourself every time you perform.
Simon - Some people will like it, a lot of people won't.

Going home
[Robyn] Bottom three:
Paige Miles
Andrew Garcia (going home)
Tim Urban
[Joey B] Paige Miles