• Replies 0 Comments
  • Views 1,473 Views

Rubyn

Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
Top10.jpg

I don’t know. I think I am just getting bored of this whole thing. The performances really do nothing for me as of late. I have heard others make the same comment, but I always brush it off that each season starts off this way. This time, I’m not so sure. I think this is officially the most boring season of American Idol to date. I'm even bored writing this re-cap.

Siobhan Magnus

Through the Fire by Chaka Kahn

[Robyn] Siobhan, while technically the best singer remaining, was a vocal mess tonight. Not a good performance, but safe from elimination.
[Joey B] Remember what Usher said about wardrobe? No? Yeah, it shows. Siobhan was all over the place tonight for some reason. I've never been a big fan, but it sounded as if she was off key through most of the song. Tonight was definitely her worst performance of the entire show and I'm not certain if it was the song. I get the sense that this is really an example of the limitations of her talent right now.

Randy - I don't know if this is one of your shining moments.
Kara - Every performer has an off night.
Ellen - I thought it was not your best performance.
Simon - It sounded to me like you'd run a marathon and you were singing while you were running.

Casey James

Hold On, I'm Coming by Sam & Dave

[Robyn] Well, Usher thinks Casey is already a rock star, so let’s just end the show at that. But for reelz, in the serious world, I think he did a decent job and I hope he doesn’t succumb to the inevitable “Let’s see what you can do without your guitar.” In doing so, it would be an ultimate fail on his part. The guy admits he can’t dance which means the guitar is his security blanket. Take the guitar away and you are left with a guy and a microphone and a bunch of rude comments from the judges. Just leave it be, people...leave it be. Oh, and his performance was decent tonight. Definitely safe.
[JoeyB ] Casey is lost without that guitar in his hands, but he put on a strong vocal performance. I just wish he would get rid of the axe. This was a perfect song to go all James Brown on that microphone and get a little crazy. He got a little drowned out by the backup singers and saxophones (brass) , but he's at the mercy of the show's audio engineers. He's definitely looking to be a safe bet for the top four, but I just don't see him winning overall.

Randy- This was another hot night for you. You showed a great vocal range.
Kara - I think you have more range in you.
Ellen - You're always good. It felt a little generic.
Simon - It was your strongest week you've had so far.

Michael Lynche

Ready for Love by Idia Arie

[Robyn] Best performance of the night. This is one of my favorite songs of all time. Green Mile is really, really good at choosing songs to suit his voice. In seasons past, the most successful contestants have chosen songs in which the general audience hasn’t heard, which is always a clever move.
[Joey B] Mike decided to break out the guitar tonight as well, but used it a little more to his advantage. Instead of being a distraction from his voice, it was a nice complement. And while the song nearly put me to sleep, he did a great job singing a boring song. Congrats? Again, another top four contender.

Randy - You are in the zone every performance. It wasn't as exciting, but it's good to pull it back sometimes.
Kara - You did an incredible job with that song. (Cara said she had NEVER heard this song before.. WTF?)
Ellen - That was beautiful.
Simon - This was the first time since we've entered the live shows that I can take you seriously.

Didi Benami

What Becomes of the Brokenhearted by Jimmy Ruffin

[Robyn] Apparently there was some hidden meaning behind Didi’s song choice, relating to the death of her friend, which brought her to tears. Again. The girl really needs to pull it together. As for her performance, it was pretty lackluster and she very well may be leaving the show because of it. But hey, she will be going on tour in the summer!
[Joey B] Didi, for Christ's sake, what the hell is wrong with you? You break down singing in rehearsal? I think this girl is off her meds. Didi put on a performance tonight that would bring down the house... in your high school talent show. I was never sure if she was singing it wrong or it was just an absolutely bizarre arrangement, or maybe both. She's sure to cry about this tonight, but not because of the person for whom she singing the song. The mystery of that was the only thing interesting about her tonight.

Randy - The whole performance kind of flat lined for me.
Kara - It's overdone, girl. You've lost your way.
Ellen - I thought that was way dramatic and not your best performance.
Simon - It was like swimming in jelly.

AI9Top10Banner.jpg

Tim Urban

Sweet Love by Anita Baker

[Robyn] I’m going to cut right to the chase. This guy wants to violate someone. I have no idea whether they be male or female, but his eyes scream “I am going to inappropriately touch every single one of you whether you like it or not.” Yep, that’s what Tim Urban’s eyes say. Vocally, he can't hold a candle to the rest of the contestants but the fangirls sure seem to like him, so he will more than likely be safe this week.
[Joey B] Tim came out of his shell when Usher suggested he sing to him like he was his girlfriend. I think this is Idol's first coming out of the closet love connection between contestant and mentor. He completely creeps me out when he looks into the camera and creeped around the stage. Tim again proves tonight that he has the least singing talent of the group.

Randy - It's this singing waiter thing.
Kara - You took the soul out of the song.
Ellen - I kept going, "Why did you pick that song?" You were walking like you were sneaking into a bedroom (even Ellen senses the creepy nature of this guy).
Simon - It was like a mouse picking a fight with an elephant.

Andrew Garcia

Forever by Chris Brown

[Robyn] Andrew is finally getting back into his groove. This is the style of music he needs to stick with if he wants to move forward this season. I applaud him in attempting to cover the neck tattoo tonight.
[Joey B] It's like Buddy Holly and Richie Valens had a baby. Andy finally decided to sing a little tonight for the first time in several weeks and his mom put a hex on Simon. What can you say? He's an ok singer and if he keeps putting on performances like tonight, he'll be around a little longer. But he's no top a four contender and is boring me to tears.

Randy- I think this is your best performance in a long time.
Kara - That is one giant leap in the right direction.
Ellen - That was a really amazing, strong performance.
Simon - You come over as very boring.

Katie Stevens

Chain of Fools by Aretha Franklin

[Robyn] This girl can sing. Sure, she isn’t a 400 lb. black woman, but she can sing. I wasn’t thrilled with the song choice OR that wretched outfit, but ehh…..you can’t have it all.
[Joey B] Katie is no Aretha. That's all I got to say about that.

Randy - This performance was a little disconnected.
Kara - This is one of your best vocal performances.
Ellen - wish the song had been a little more current.
Simon - It was very robotic. You came across as very cold.

Lee Dewyze

You've Got to Treat Her Like a Lady

[Robyn] Talk about awkward stage presence. I still don't understand what the judges see in this guy. Since moving to the big stage, his pitch problems seem to be improving but I am still not sold. Definitely not a contender for the #1 spot but safe this week.
[Joey B] Lee worried me a bit when I saw he had the guitar, but he gave a great performance tonight. There's something about his voice that I'm not quite sure of when it comes to this song. I'm still not quite sure I liked it, but he really did a great job with the arrangement and performed like he belonged on stage for the first time. This is the kind of performance he needs to be consistently giving week after week.

Randy - Unbelievable! The best I've heard from you in weeks.
Kara - It could have been on your record. It was amazing.
Ellen - Best performance of the night.
Simon - This was the night your life may have changed forever.

crystal.jpg

Crystal Bowersox

Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight

[Robyn] I know that I speak out against everyone else in America, but I am just not a fan. After the buildup from last week, I was expecting more than 10 measures of piano. But whatever. Crystal isn’t going anywhere any time soon.
[Joey B] Crystal surprised everyone tonight by putting down the guitar and sitting behind the piano tonight. Even though she was a little shaky on the piano and it made her a little ill at ease at first, she gave a superb vocal performance with every bit of emotion as Gladys'. It's my firm belief that this competition is Crystal's to lose.

Randy - I thought it was another great performance by you.
Kara - I can't wait to see what you do next week.
Ellen - You are really competing tonight.
Simon - You're the kind of artist that knows what you should be doing.

Aaron Kelly

Ain't No Sunshine Gone by Bill Withers

[Robyn] Well, I thought it was nice. But once again, he will be forced by the producers/judges to “take a risk” and will fail miserably. Safe this week.
[Joey B] Aaron gave a better performance tonight than he has in many weeks and I think the song choice was good for him. He continues to have problems early on in the song with that queer vibrato thing. Fortunately for him, he garners the young girl voting block and will be safe this week.

Randy - It was just alright for me.
Kara - I wasn't in love with it. I think you could have gone higher in your register.
Ellen - I thought it was a really good job.
Simon - I'm not jumping out of my chair.

Going Home:
[Joey B] Didi Benami
[Robyn] Didi Benami