• Replies 0 Comments
  • Views 1,829 Views

Rubyn

Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
AITop10girls.jpg

With an extra day of practice under their belt, a few ladies were able to put forth a solid performance. The others fell somewhat flat and as predicted yesterday, Crystal Bowersox returned with whiter teeth. Type I Diabetes my ass

Crystal Bowersox

Long As I Can See the Light by Creedence Clearwater Revival

[Robyn] One thing Crystal has going for her is that we all know that shes good. But much like the Adam Lamberts and Chris Daughtrys of American Idol, she peaked far too early in the contest. Same goes for Adam Garcia. Crystal will be consistent from one week to the next but she will probably not make it past the Final 4.
[JB] Crystal was the cause of this week's swap with the guys because of her goofy pancreas. Tonight she started out the show with her guitar and showcased a dreadlocked Jewel, orthodontist's dream vibe. I still like her. She reminds me of that hippie girl from Northampton, MA that I know would never actually date me, but I still lusted after a bit. Nothing about Crystal's performance tonight tipped us off that she was in any way sick in the last couple of days. Crystal's choice of song was right on and she continued to be a unique voice in the competition.

Simon - I promise you this was the moment we realized what an artist you are.
Kara - When you come out, it's effortless. Tonight you hit a new level.
Ellen - That was just pure, raw talent.
Randy - I just love that you're not trying to be anyone else.

Haeley Vaughn

The Climb by Miley Cyrus

[Robyn] What a total disappointment this girl has turned out to be. During the audition process, I was certain that she would go far. Kara nailed it right on the head when she said that Haeley needs to take a year and really work on her voice. She has the right tools, she just doesnt quite know how to use them. I want to take a minute to address Kara DioGuardi. I know that she rubs some people the wrong way, but she gives legitimate vocal advice that was lacking prior to Season 8. Her delivery is often a bit abrasive, but I feel she brings a level of credibility that the others have been unable to provide.
[JB] This song is an anthem for us at work, reminding us that all our effort is its own reward. HA! No. The only thing that gets us through the day is knowing that we'll outlive all these half-blind geriatrics that drive us batshit crazy. Wait... this was supposed to be about Haeley, right? She's seriously starting to get on my nerves, just like this song does when you hear it the same time, day after day. She is too happy and doesn't have enough singing ability. Cute only takes you so far and for Haeley, it's probably going to be the Top Ten Girls. Have fun making bedazzled headbands sweetie.

Simon - It was a complete and utter mess.
Kara - You need a year of strengthening your instrument.
Ellen - There was no feeling there.
Randy - It was excruciating. It was so pitchy that you had no connection to the song.

Lacey Brown

Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer

[Robyn] Lacey was uncomfortable on stage which was making me uncomfortable watching her. I am sure she has talent but at this point, I dont think that she has been able to prove that she deserves to move past this round.
[JB] Shoot me, now. The Ginger Disaster decided to sing a saccharine rendition of the kind of lowest common denominator song that should, in theory, appeal to everyone. Not so fast, honey. Your story about antique shopping was more appealing than your singing. It sounded like someone imitating Leigh Bingham Nash... poorly. Lacey will be back in Texas making faux finish, shabby chic masterpieces in no time flat. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon. And for the rest of her life.

Simon - We're not going to remember it.
Kara - You're going to have to step it up from here.
Ellen - I thought it was adorable.
Randy - You didn't bring anything to it.

Katie Stevens

Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae

[Robyn ] I had a hard time getting into Katies performance this week. I didnt like the song choice. She has an excellent voice and it always surprises me when someone with very little experience in life is able to get up on such a huge platform and exude professional confidence. I still think she is one of a few to beat this season, mainly because she will continue growing each week and will slide under the radar for a while.
[JB] Katie disappointed everyone last week with her performance of a song that seemed a little too old for her. Tonight she went younger with a Corinne Bailey Rae song, but she still failed to capitalize on her youth. Katie put on a decent performance with none of the stiffness from last week, but had some difficulty hitting some of the high notes. Still, she has a likability that means almost as much as singing talent for voters at this point in the competition. She's safe this week and will likely bring the kind of song that everyone has been waiting for from her next week.

Simon - You're not telling us what kind of artist you want to be.
Kara - I'm still waiting for that "moment" from you.
Ellen - You're not singing something right for your age.
Randy - You need to believe that you can tackle bigger songs.
Hold up, wait a minute. Was Ellen wearing an ascot tonight? Why yes, yes she was.

Didi Benami

Lean On Me by Bill Withers

[Robyn] Didi has an interesting voice but she is picking terrible songs to showcase her talent. It is also painfully obvious that she is not comfortable on the stage, which is something that may come with time. The judges were pretty brutal and made her cry. Will this work to her advantage and prompt pity votes? We shall find out tomorrow.
[JB] I think she was a beaver in high school. She meows to warm up. This girl would KILL at a furry convention. Didi decided she wanted to go with a song that has been in every school talent show since 1972. Poor choice, baby. While what she did wasn't necessarily all bad, it certainly wasn't good. She brought just enough of her talent and personality to give us a glimpse of what she might be. But she may never have a chance to make up for tonight's weak performance.

Simon - It was all over the place... screeching... bad choice of song.
Kara - It wasn't good. What I'm missing from you is consistency.
Ellen - You have a great, great voice. I don't know that was the greatest song choice.
Randy - I would not have chosen a soul song. It shows the things you can't do.

Michelle Delamour

With Arms Wide Open by Creed

[Robyn] Everyone loved Michelles performancethat is, everyone but me. It seemed methodical and contrived and quite frankly, her Beyonce vibrato is going to drive me insane. But I better get used to it because she isnt going anywhere any time soon.
[JB] This girl is DELICIOUS! When I heard Creed, I shuddered a little bit, but her performance was much like Whitney's version of Dolly's classic, I Will Always Love You... different, but great in its own right. Michelle made a song I hate sound pretty good and she looked hot doing it. For once someone seemed to not only take the judges suggestions, but do it correctly and make the song her own. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough to show everyone she can take direction well.

Simon - You kind of got it 80% right.
Kara- My favorite performance of yours ever. It may not have been technically perfect, but it was believable.
Ellen - It almost worked, but not quite.
Randy - The song... you just didn't do enough with it. It fell flat to me.

Lilly Scott

A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke

[Robyn] I finally figured out who Lilly looks like. The albino from The Princess Bride.

lillyscott_albino.png

But seriously though, I have two personal favorites right now, one of which is Lilly. I love her vocal style and I love that she is completely different than anything American Idol has taken on in the past. I have been watching since Season 1 and have always had a gripe that they put too many eggs in the R&B basket. Its refreshing to see the show evolve from season to season.
[JB] Lilly almost made me believe she was a middle aged black man. Ok, it wasn't bad. It was unique and she actually sounded pretty good. I just can't make myself like her. She's got a dirty girl vibe... and not the kind of dirty girl vibe I like. But obviously some people, like Robyn, do. But I know her husband too and there's no accounting for taste.
[Robyn] wtf is that supposed to mean? Rude!

Simon - I wasn't crazy about it, but it was still great.
Kara - You just had your first moment in this competition. I was riveted.
Ellen - You have got IT.
Randy - You're definitely unique and you do your thing. My favorite performance so far tonight.

Katelyn Epperly

The Scientist by Coldplay

[Robyn] Despite the issues with the tempo, I loved the song choice, love her voice and if she tweaks a few things, she has some staying power.
[JB] 80's Barbie sat down behind the piano tonight. She was certainly aware of the camera, as she kept creepily staring at it and making me feel a little nervous throughout her performance. I felt a little like I had a creeper. Katelyn sang the song very well, if a little slow, hitting all the notes and looking good. It was a good song for her and will insure that she stays in the competition this week.

Simon - I thought it was a smart choice of song. You've become quite corny when you perform.
Kara - I kind of love you. You have an incredible instrument. You're all over the place, but you're really good.
Ellen - I liked that you were playing guitar. Wait... you weren't playing guitar. It was too slow.
Randy - I really liked it.

Paige Miles

Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson

[Robyn] Paige started out a little rough but picked it up midway through. I dont recall her having any exposure during the audition and Hollywood rounds, so it will take another week or two for the public to get used to her. From what I have heard, she has a great voice. I am not sure that I agree with Simon that she has the best voice of the season, but we shall see.
[JB] She likes to color. Seriously. She just said that on national television. Lipps channeled the original Idol's spirit and brought a playfulness and sexiness that Kelly never could. This was a song co-written by our own Idol judge, Kara, so we know she's going to take this performance personally. Paige chose a great song and sang it superbly. I don't think she has anything to worry about this week and will hopefully be back next week with another song that helps showcase her personality and singing ability.

Simon - I'm afraid two weeks in a row you have failed to choose the right song.
Kara - (babbling about how everyone should look bitter and angry when singing her song.)
**that was JB saying that. I (Robyn) completely understood what Kara was saying. You cant take a song about bitter heartbreak and smile your way through it. A good singer knows not only the lyrics but the context of the words in which they are singing.
Ellen - I loved it. I thought it was fantastic.
Randy - I wasn't over the top in love with it, but I liked it.

Siobhan Magnus

Think by Aretha Franklin

[Robyn] Pretty impressive voice. Stylistically, she isnt too shabby, but her voice is a bit too sweet for an Aretha song. It will be interesting to see which genre she is going to favor because this weeks song was drastically different than the lastwhich shows the inconsistency in what the judges have to say about other contestants. If she genre hops again next week, I am sure they will nail her on it.
[JB] Her stories about her mohawk and lip trills made me want to smack her. Baby girl decided she wanted to sing Think by Aretha. Sweet. Baby. Jesus. What was she thinking? Aretha has girls like this tucked into her cleavage by the dozen. Siobhan's voice was no match for ninety percent of this song, but she managed to hit one strong note at the end. She's quirky, though, and stands out from the competition, which may insure her safety for a while.

Simon - I thought there were parts of the song that were terrible, but then you hit that note.
Kara - (I didn't get anything... did she even comment?)
Ellen - Man that was good. (She also called her the singing equivalent of a Snuggie.)
Randy - It was dope. You slayed it.

Going Home:
[Robyn] Lacey Brown & Haeley Vaughn
[JB] Haeley Vaughn & Didi Benami