• Replies 28 Comments
  • Views 6,035 Views

Rubyn

Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
AITop12Girls.jpg

Wednesday evening kicked off the first of the live shows for Season 9 of American Idol. Twelve ladies performed, two will be sent home during the live elimination show Thursday, February 25th. Robyn and Joey B give their take on the performances and who they think will be moving on to the next round.

Not much has changed since the finale of Season 8, given one minor detail. It appears that Paula Abdul has been replaced by a tiny, blond Backstreet Boy. With the announcement of Simon’s pending exodus at the end of the season, AI producers are going to do everything in their power to force the public to embrace Ellen, starting with an insight as to what goes on between Simon and Ellen underneath the judges’ table when cameras aren’t supposed to be looking. You can’t fool us, American Idol. We all know that Simon is gay!

Now on to the twelve lovely and talented contestants. Is it just me or is this the season of the facial piercing?

Paige Miles

‘All Right Now’ by Free

[Robyn] We haven’t seen much of Paige throughout the audition process so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. She has an excellent voice with great vocal tone but what on earth was she wearing? It looked like a shorts outfit I wore and donated to the Salvation Army in 1990. I am sure she will make it into the next round but I hope she gets rid of the demon eye contact lenses.
[JB] Cute black girl... and you now how Bread and I LOOOOOOOOOVE the black girls. 'All Right Now' seemed a poor song choice and several of the judges agreed. I thought she sounded a bit flat in spots but belted it out pretty good in others. I have a big problem when a singer lets herself get drowned out by her backup singers, which happened a couple of times.

Simon: Best voice of the ladies, poor song choice
Ellen: Great look, good voice
Idiot: Brilliant song, full of soul
Randy: Poor song choice, but sang it well

Ashley Rodriguez

‘Happy’ by Leona Lewis

[Robyn] Ashley reminds me a bit of Eva Longoria, but taller, and with more teeth. I was not at all impressed with her performance. She has that Beyonce’ vibratto thing going on which I can’t even listen to Beyonce’ do. If she makes it past this round, and that is a big IF, she should stick to dance club hits and stay far away from songs meant for a powerful singer.
[JB] She's a Jordin Sparks fan and looks a little bit like a thin version of her. Also looks a little like my girlfriend... getting no points for that though. It was the kind of song I'd expect to hear in the tryouts, or at karaoke. Poor, poor choice. She has a little charisma, though and if she can avoid getting eliminated and choose the right songs, she may see a couple more shows. She's not a contender to win, though.

Idiot: Predictable song, should have picked something she could have made her own
Randy: Impressionistic
Ellen: Predictable song
Simon: Clumsy arrangement, no originality, could be in trouble.

Janell Wheeler

‘What About Love’ by Heart

[Robyn] I remember seeing a clip of Janell in Hollywood and really liked her voice. You always have to wonder why singers, particularly on American Idol, switch genres after something is working for them. I heard a rumor, not sure if it is true, that she used to date Tim Tebow. If true, she may have Big G on her side this time around. With her less than stellar performance, she needs all the help she can get.
[JB] What a great song choice, but not for her. She doesn't have the voice to pull off such an iconic rock ballad. She's going to impress none of the voters with this and with rather forgettable looks, she could very well be gone after tonight.

Simon: You gave it 100% effort, but only delivered 65%.
Idiot: The song was too big for you.
Ellen: You sang well, good song, but missed a few notes.
Randy: Poor song choice.

Lilly Scott

‘Fixing A Hole’ by The Beatles

[Robyn] Unlike my pal Joey B down there, I really like Lilly and what she is bringing to the table. She is an incredible vocal stylist and very unique compared to the competition. Looks wise, one could almost compare her to the very un-lovely Lady Gaga. I am sure that will change after the infamous American Idol makeover.
[JB] She's twenty years old but looks forty. Should go back to working the streets, maybe as a hooker this time. I'm not quite sure where I would anticipate hearing this song... coffee shop on a Tuesday night, maybe? She sounded a little bit like Phoebe singing Smelly Cat on Friends. She might not go home tonight, but she's not going to be around for long.

Simon: Best we've had so far. But no star power
Idiot: Believable and come from the heart.
Ellen: That's what we're talking about. Great presence unique voice
Randy: Good song choice, unique

Katelyn Epperly

‘Oh! Darling’ by The Beatles

[Robyn] Dressed like a cross between a street walker and a 1920’s flapper, Katelyn actually did a decent job. She has great confidence on the stage and as Kara pointed out, she really knows her voice and what she can and can’t do with it. I loved her song choice and look forward to her advancing to the Top 12.
[JB] Young, blond college students are the bane of my existence. This one stole her hair from Dee Snyder for tonight's performance. Despite all of this, I kind of liked her. She sang well and seemed to transcend her bubblegum looks. Safe tonight and will be here for the short term at least.

Simon: Messy, quirky. I like you a lot.
Idiot: You know your voice well. You should be more natural.
Ellen: You have a lot of personality.
Randy: You delivered a great tone.

Haeley Vaughn

‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ by The Beatles

[Robyn] When I heard her initial audition, I was blown away. What? A cute, black female country singer? But she has since morphed into some sort of smiling creature who shouts her way through the high notes. I am confident that she will make it through to the next round and if she is smart, she will take the advice given to her and improve her game. She was my early pick to make it to the Top 3 however at this point, I am thinking she may only make it to the Top 8.
[JB] Haeley is a cute, young girl with a bit of a lisp. Her nose piercing was a highlight of her time on American Idol. I'm not sure I can take this. Surprisingly, she came out and put on a very fun performance. She had a certain quality that tells me she'll be around for a couple of weeks. Ultimately, however, she doesn't have top 8 potential from what I saw tonight.

Simon: Verging on terrible
Idiot: Technical disaster, but she's fun and pure
Ellen: Great presence, you shine
Randy: High notes weren't pleasing, but fun and bold

Lacey Brown

‘Landslide’ by Fleetwood Mac

[Robyn] Oh Lacey, I had such high hopes for you. I really liked her voice during the auditions but she fell horribly flat singing a song she had no business singing. Sadly, I think she will be back to planning church events before the months end.
[JB] First of all, let's change the hair. Ginger Kate Gosselin doesn't work for you AT ALL. She loves the song and it speaks to her. Unfortunately for her, it sounded like the chipmunks singing. Horrible, unlikeable, and on her way out... most likely tonight.

Simon: Depressing and indulgent
Idiot: Sounded forced
Ellen: Bad song choice, You're better than that
Randy: Wrong song, pitchy, terrible

Michelle Delamor

‘Falling’ by Alicia Keys

[Robyn] I cringe whenever someone picks ‘Falling’. It must be some kind of go-to karaoke song for women with unrealistic vocal expectations. Michelle didn’t do a terrible job, she just wasn’t Alicia Keys. One should never sing a song if you are going to be compared to the original artist. But Michelle isn’t going anywhere. If she starts picking songs, both her looks and impressive vocal skills should carry her into the Top 5.
[JB] Uh…this is Robyn. I’m guessing Joey B was making mac & cheese or vacuuming his bedroom during this performance. I am a little surprised he missed this one, considering his affinity for tan ladies.

Didi Benami

‘The Way I Am’ by Ingrid Michelson

[Robyn] I really, really like Didi’s voice. Unfortunately for her, when introducing yourself to millions of viewers for the first time, she should have made a better song choice. ‘The Way I Am’ is the type of song that should be pulled out of your repertoire in the Top 6.
[JB] This girl reminds me of someone... oh yeah, Brooke White from Season 7, without the likeablility or talent. If the contest was about mimicking Ingrid Michelson's voice, she might win hands down. She's in trouble, but probably squeaks through tonight.
[Robyn] That’s funny that you said she reminds you of Brooke. She reminded us of Megan Joy from Season 8 but with a much better voice.

Simon: Good singer, but singer but not finding her own voice
Idiot: The song was good and she made some nice changes (wait... WHAT?!)
Ellen: Poor song choice, but good look. Overall bad first impression
Randy: You're no star

Siobhan Magnus

‘Wicked Game’ by Chris Izaak

[Robyn] This was my favorite performance of the evening. Siobhan has incredible vocal range which will certainly come in handy with song selections. If her comfort level on stage improves, she could make it all the way to the Top 3.
[JB] Siobhan certainly has a unique look. ‘Wicked Game’ was an unusual choice in my opinion, and when she started out in the lower register, it sounded more like a tranny revue. She has zero personality and stage presence and will have a hard time getting votes. But enough people will vote for her that she's safe this week.

Simon: You really are a funny little thing
Idiot: Wouldn't have picked it, but I liked it.
Ellen: I loved it. (I think she digs her)
Randy: Tough song, great voice

Crystal Bowersox

‘Hand in My Pocket’ by Alanis Morissette

crystal-bowersox-teeth.jpg

[Robyn] Ohmystars…her teeth! I can’t get over those teeth! Someone needs to lay some odds on when they are going to force her into a treatment or two of Zoom! teeth whitening. Yes, I know. Yellowish orange teeth have very little to do with vocal talent but wowsers. I can’t help wondering…is that what meth teeth look like? Ok, anyway, she has a decent voice but you can tell that she is very much anti-establishment. I expect her to make it to the Top 10 but she will more than likely go the way of Blake Lewis who refused to play nice with 19Entertainment and hasn’t been seen or heard from again.
[JB] Alanis Morissette is one of my least favorite singers. Let me just tell you how tired I am of young girls trotting out their kids for the sympathy vote. Nobody cares. Got it? And I had my fill of dreads with that douche, Jason Castro. That said... I really, really liked her. I'm not sure the harmonica was a good idea when you're supposed to be singing and the song was all wrong, but it made me want to hear more from her, which is the name of the game. Safe this week for sure.

Simon: It was good, but there are a thousand of you singing outside subway stations.
Idiot: You have a greatness in you.
Ellen: I am a fan. You add something fresh.
Randy: I love your originality.

Katie Stevens

‘Feeling Good’ by Michael Buble

[Robyn] As Katie was singing, I commented that more than likely, the judges’ would say that she needs to act/sing/dress more like a 17 year old. They said the same thing to Jordin Sparks and Diana DeGarmo, both of whom made it to the winning and runner-up spots in previous seasons. Katie has a fantastic voice and will probably be in the Final 2, if not the winner of it all.
[JB] Katie is a cute, young high school student. She reminds me a bit of Selena Gomez and that's the trouble. I'm not sure if there's room for another one right now. 'Feeling Good' was a strange song choice, as was her look. I think she's safe tonight, but not seeing her in the top 8.

Simon: It was like your mom and dad dressed you for this performance.
Idiot: You were all over the place tonight.
Ellen: Too conservative, I want to see you be 17.
Randy: The song was too old for you.

Going home:

[Robyn] Ashley Rodriguez and Lacey Brown
[JB] Janell Wheeler and Lacey Brown

American Idol Odds to Win – bodog

Ashley Rodriguez - 7/1
Crystal Bowersoz – 15/2
Didi Benami – 7/1
Haeley Vaughn – 18/1
Janell Wheeler – 15/1
Katelyn Epperly – 40/1
Katie Stevens – 13/2
Lacey Brown – 25/1
Lilly Scott – 40/1
Michelle Delamor – 45/1
Paige Miles – 33/1
Siobhan Magnus – 12/1

Last edited:
Are those the odds to go home or to win it all?

Are those the odds to go home or to win it all?

Good question. They are the odds to win.

Good question. They are the odds to win.

Nice write-up.

I took my own little notes just for myself so I could remember who they are to play in the fun contest.

I basically thought no one was great. The only two who were not forgettable for me were Crystal & Katie.

I wrote down that three of them were horrible:
Janell
Haeley
Lacey

I will debate for a little on who I will pick for my two to go home. If I chose on my preference, Haeley would for sure get the boot and then Janell. Unfortunately, I think Haeley is going to get sympathy votes which will most likely keep her around.

So I chose my two to go now it would be Janell & Lacey.

I am also very tempted to go bet the prop that a guy will win the show. None of those girls gave me any sort of impression that they could win this show.

Nice write-up.

I took my own little notes just for myself so I could remember who they are to play in the fun contest.

I basically thought no one was great. The only two who were not forgettable for me were Crystal & Katie.

I wrote down that three of them were horrible:
Janell
Haeley
Lacey

I will debate for a little on who I will pick for my two to go home. If I chose on my preference, Haeley would for sure get the boot and then Janell. Unfortunately, I think Haeley is going to get sympathy votes which will most likely keep her around.

So I chose my two to go now it would be Janell & Lacey.

I am also very tempted to go bet the prop that a guy will win the show. None of those girls gave me any sort of impression that they could win this show.

Siobhan was also my favorite of the night. I think the ones leaving are Lacey, for hurting my ears, and Paige, for drawing the number one spot.

Vote for the Worse has named Haeley as their girl.

Siobhan was also my favorite of the night. I think the ones leaving are Lacey, for hurting my ears, and Paige, for drawing the number one spot.

That doesn't surprise me as she pretty much sucks. I said she would get sympathy votes but I didn't they would be joke sympathy votes.

That doesn't surprise me as she pretty much sucks. I said she would get sympathy votes but I didn't they would be joke sympathy votes.

Have you heard all the scuttle on Todrick whateverhislastnameis?

Have you heard all the scuttle on Todrick whateverhislastnameis?

Someone was telling me about him ripping parents off for some production or something like that but I haven't read anything about it.

Someone was telling me about him ripping parents off for some production or something like that but I haven't read anything about it.

I think I was still reeling from Lacey's hair, or performance, or hair, but I actually did write something down for Michelle Delamor. It consisted of, "I hate Alicia Keyes, but I hate you even more. Boring performance. I won't even remember you were in the competition by the top 8."

I think I was still reeling from Lacey's hair, or performance, or hair, but I actually did write something down for Michelle Delamor. It consisted of, "I hate Alicia Keyes, but I hate you even more. Boring performance. I won't even remember you were in the competition by the top 8."

Ouch!

I think we need to change your name to "The Angry Joey B".