Aging

• Start date
  • Replies 342 Comments
  • Views 35,634 Views
Sorry to hear MrM :hug:

mister monkey's dad passed away on Sunday
Oh wow. I'm so sorry Mr. Monkey. Huggggggg. Damn, it's been a tough year for GL parents.

Rogue-had he been sick?

HUGGGG for Nina too. Thank you for sharing about your experience with your dad.

Thank you all, it is greatly appreciated! It was peaceful for him! I really thought he would make it to 100 like he wanted! Unfortunately last few months was in-and-out of hospital couple times with kidney stone/kidney infection and then was in rehab at his nursing home!

Still had all his marbles but the body just wasn't cooperating with the mind! Couldn't do a lot of stuff like going to the bathroom etc etc on his own and appeared not to want to hang in there being assisted with everything! So more or less stopped eating last 7-10 days and he knew what would come from it!

Finally was put back in his room Friday and MrsM spent hours 2-3 hours with him Friday and Sat and she finally got him to start eating! Thought he might finally make a comeback and hang in there longer! Wasn't even going to see him Sunday but MrsM said let's go and when we got there he seemed like he knew us but couldn't talk!

My brother said earlier Dad told him MrsM stayed with him all last night! I would say 10-15 minutes after we got he finally fell asleep peacefully forever! Glad I got to see him at the end and for years Dad felt lucky to wake up every morning! Like he mentioned on occasion he had a good life and a great wife!!! Like Frank S he did it his way! God bless Dad and RIP!

So sorry for your loss MrM. I feel your pain. I hope that you can remind yourself of all the good times.

I just found out that my mom's best friend died today as well. They are in heaven now playing slot machines.

Im so glad I got to take them to Vegas in 2005.

KBar_LRmrkrIDBCllsshd2IVb9AOlCNYpBe-pFzskvv2LEuTGJ75woA4icDAKd_68DBKwlAmOlJHX0oac6w-QTF3y_bNgMyQ7XKdViUWH0ZZcNaMfKpJACecVXNlOFss4ZbX18mvddZa2iBaRMsEQhq542ss8ov2DZe8ph2giVdwnMLWqOjZnzF1nGbnnaZB4FhskMfEEuWACz4A-HikJFlaeDjb1EnZEDDGWynB2_HeyB6cGiTrJJCT179YtbtEOgjCNT-mrpmkJNoEmgMDR0o-y-3eRKPrNRaDwiBm1h3rn3QTr70dFV7nGJKocg3V2ejEp1PdkPG97W0fTnBvjm-vGtpxiUPicIsoS7hm5ho4WkXoH1nbJmLP5KFHGEgs57GTcRnGJzH6w36h4GkEcIRbFk4NP9-_i-eL1w7IvIeJAuJFdASu3hnr4j_7xXbjCElhE92W6SPfhVnMDILUrGB1lKfqbx-XOHdb0i-nBVlMahKGMVHldgU5QSTlJsMBt5I8l4pPnSWQ7DtpyJjrk6Gv9msjMk8Ix2cmrYHfBYfOiqgmGs_byPw88n7ueDFvS-_l=w876-h657-no

I guess this is as good a thread as any for this. Just learned my brother has lung cancer.

It's weird. I don't know how to feel about it. I could not be less surprised. His whole life has been what seems like an open attempt to get lung cancer.

I recall someone - Kurt Vonnegut? - describing cigarette smoking as a socially acceptable form of suicide. That's what my brother has always looked like to me. He smokes tons of cigarettes - and everything else - and lives in tiny shoeboxes where the smoke never escapes - and he neglects his health in a hundred other ways. I seriously would not have been surprised if he had said he was not going to bother with treatment.

It would be disingenuous to suggest I haven't, on some level, been preparing for his premature demise for, like, a couple decades. If he tells me tomorrow he also has cirrhosis, again, not remotely surprising.

He can't be surprised about the cancer. But anyway he is jumping into treatment.

I didn't express any of what I said here to him. I'm feeling my way along with that. This is strictly gabbing with gamelive. When I see him I might start exploring a bit. Are you planning to stop smoking? etc, etc

:dunno:

I guess this is as good a thread as any for this. Just learned my brother has lung cancer.

It's weird. I don't know how to feel about it. I could not be less surprised. His whole life has been what seems like an open attempt to get lung cancer.

I recall someone - Kurt Vonnegut? - describing cigarette smoking as a socially acceptable form of suicide. That's what my brother has always looked like to me. He smokes tons of cigarettes - and everything else - and lives in tiny shoeboxes where the smoke never escapes - and he neglects his health in a hundred other ways. I seriously would not have been surprised if he had said he was not going to bother with treatment.

It would be disingenuous to suggest I haven't, on some level, been preparing for his premature demise for, like, a couple decades. If he tells me tomorrow he also has cirrhosis, again, not remotely surprising.

He can't be surprised about the cancer. But anyway he is jumping into treatment.

I didn't express any of what I said here to him. I'm feeling my way along with that. This is strictly gabbing with gamelive. When I see him I might start exploring a bit. Are you planning to stop smoking? etc, etc

Very sorry to hear this about your brother, muddster

Bol

that sucks. A fair amount of my time is spent worrying about health of family. And I feel shitty myself often too.
Always figure I wouldn't bother with extensive treatment, but you never know until it's time. Of course it depends what the treatment entails.

Lots of treatment about to start - which will go on and on - which he seems ready to dive into starting Monday.

It all reminds me when certain people (simpletons? idiots?) have put up (stupid?) arguments against all the anti-smoking measures being legislated, like warnings on packs and whatnot.

And what people who think they are clever - but are actually dumb as a sack of hammers - like to say is, "It's stupid to spend government money on that stuff. Smokers die younger on average anyway so they are less likely to need a pension yada yada."

Of course the fact is, in a system with public health care, the expense of treating smokers who will often end up needing a vast string of intensive procedures dragging on for years and decades - amounts to a helluva lot more of a burden on the taxpayer.

I visited my mum yesterday. She lives in a care home now.

Odd situation in that she was diagnosed with Alzheimers awhile back. I may have mentioned it in this thread. In fact the doctor who diagnosed her, expressed amazement that we hadn't noticed sooner. According to his tests, she was like 5 years along or something.

(I actually had noticed several things for a number of years but whatever.)

Anyway, she has since been tested and been told that she does NOT have Alzheimers.

Either the Alzheimers has reversed or the original test was wrong.

Very strange in any case.

I visited my mum yesterday. She lives in a care home now.

Odd situation in that she was diagnosed with Alzheimers awhile back. I may have mentioned it in this thread. In fact the doctor who diagnosed her, expressed amazement that we hadn't noticed sooner. According to his tests, she was like 5 years along or something.

(I actually had noticed several things for a number of years but whatever.)

Anyway, she has since been tested and been told that she does NOT have Alzheimers.

Either the Alzheimers has reversed or the original test was wrong.

Very strange in any case.

:megarock:

Yeah, I dunno. She does all kinds of stuff that indicates dementia/delirium. I guess it is just a question of what label applies.

She freaked out the doctor though. It was the same guy that tested her with the same test before and after. He had never seen anything like it.

Bill Burr is the best :clapper:

Here's how it works in case you're wondering.

At some point you are older than someone and they start joking around and calling you old guy or whatever. Maybe you are late 20's and they are early 20's. Haha. Old man - haha.

And that continues and grows for a decade or so. Maybe you're just a couple months older than someone but still - haha, jokin' around.

Then you start becoming aware of athletes who are still playing their sport and are older than you. You become aware how that number is dwindling.

You start to have a particular awareness of Chris Chelios and Jamie Moyer. Golf is good. Some golfers are still golfing effectively in their mid-40's.

Then at some point there are none. You are older than all of them.

You make jokes about being the old guy and people chuckle and tell you how you're not old.

Then people stop telling you that. Instead they tell you it doesn't matter and you're only as old as you feel.

You have to explain all kinds of references. There are productive adults who were not born when extremely memorable things in your life happened.

You're not sure there is anyone where you work older than you. You're not joking around. There are like 40 people in the building and you really might be the oldest one.

And then I guess you die.