Affluenza

• Start date
  • Replies 13 Comments
  • Views 655 Views
Oh wow.

If that's a thing why wouldn't you charge the parents?

Affluenzing a minor?

Pay Assistant State Attorneys salaries that can compete with salaries of criminal defense attorneys and it would put a nice dent in Affluenza.

Interesting problem. I don't see affluenza as a valid defense, but not sure what the right punishment is for someone responsible for an accident. Guess it would depend on the extent of the damage. Most likely somebody should be thrown in jail for coming up with such a defense :grin:

Daffy, aren't public defense attorneys overburdened with too many cases, lack of resources and an unjust system? That was my impression in my very brief dealings with them.

I stopped reading american news sources last year. At least South Koreans propaganda isn't hidden or disguised.

It's the judge who is to be blamed in this case; nothing to do with overburdened state attorneys. Here's an example of corrupt district attorney:

In July 2010, Martin Joel Erzinger, a hedge fund manager for extremely wealthy investors at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, was driving his car near Vail, Colorado, when he hit a bicyclist from behind and then sped away. The Vail Daily reported that the victim, Steven Milo, suffered "spinal cord injuries, bleeding from his brain and damage to his knee and scapula," which left him facing multiple surgeries. The newspaper's account of the incident makes clear that Erzinger should have been prosecuted for this incident.

Milo was bicycling eastbound on Highway 6 just east of Miller Ranch Road, when Erzinger allegedly hit him with the black 2010 Mercedes Benz sedan he was driving. Erzinger fled the scene and was arrested later, police say.

Erzinger allegedly veered onto the side of the road and hit Milo from behind. Milo was thrown to the pavement, while Erzinger struck a culvert and kept driving, according to court documents.

Erzinger drove all the way through Avon, the town's round- abouts, under I-70 and stopped in the Pizza Hut parking lot where he called the Mercedes auto assistance service to report damage to his vehicle, and asked that his car be towed, rec ords show. He did not ask for law enforcement assistance, accord- ing to court records.

Committing a hit-and-run is a felony in Colorado, and leaving the scene of a crime constitutes a felony as well. Nevertheless, the district attorney, Mark Hurlbert, announced that Erzinger would be charged only with a misdemeanor, which carries no jail time. Hurlbert's explanation for not charging Erzinger with any felonies was blunt: "Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-greenwald/too-big-to-jail-_b_1030388.html

Problem here is people being stupid. People need to not be stupid.

Its not nice to make light of people with crippling mental illness like affluenza, or the people that tirelessly advocate on behalf of the affected. Geez.

wow - just wow

Interesting problem. I don't see affluenza as a valid defense, but not sure what the right punishment is for someone responsible for an accident. Guess it would depend on the extent of the damage. Most likely somebody should be thrown in jail for coming up with such a defense :grin:

Exactly.

I'm not sure I'm keen on throwing 16-year-olds in jail for stupid accidents that have horrific results like this, but they often do. And if I'm some underprivileged kid rotting in jail for the same crime, and I read about this defense, I'm gonna kill someone the second I get out.

If I was the parents of the victims, I would hunt down and shoot this kid straight between the eyes.
Blame living middle class as my excuse.
I would say if I was rich I would have bought my kid an armored car to ride around in to prevent such a catastrophe.
If I was poor, my kid would have been on a bus.
Middle class people are preconditioned to meter justice properly.
Blame my paycheck.

If I was the parents of the victims, I would hunt down and shoot this kid straight between the eyes.
Blame living middle class as my excuse.
I would say if I was rich I would have bought my kid an armored car to ride around in to prevent such a catastrophe.
If I was poor, my kid would have been on a bus.
Middle class people are preconditioned to meter justice properly.
Blame my paycheck.

that would be proper in some sense

Common freefall.

Post a screenshot of your btc. One time.