2010 Champions League Now An England Free Zone

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
With the exit of Manchester United from the Champions League at the hands of Bayern Munich on Wednesday following the dispatching of Arsenal by Barcelona on Tuesday it left the semi-final stage of the competition a multicultural affair. With one team from each of France, Germany, Italy and Spain remaining in the competition it represents the first year since the 2002/3 season, and the only the second time in the past ten seasons, where there hasn't been an English team in the final four. The dominance was such that there had been an English finalist, and two winners, in the each of the previous five seasons.

34gsknl.png

In the first of the semi-finals, Lyon are matched against Bayern Munich after narrowly beating Bordeaux over two legs in the all French quarter final and Bayern are slight favorites to reach the final, listed at -143 with Pinnacle. In the other, Barcelona are rewarded with Inter Milan after avoiding defeat in all four of their knockout games with an aggregate score of 11-4 where Barcelona are listed at Pinnacle as -262 favorites to reach the final over two legs. Naturally, Barcelona are listed as heavy favorites at -133 over Inter (+443), Bayern (+511) and Lyon (+737) to lift the trophy on 22 May.

And for anyone unsure about the quality of the Champions League, these are the highlights from the second leg of the Bayern Munich Vs Manchester United game. After United took a 3-0 (and 4-2 aggregate) lead, they looked a sure bet for the next round but one sending off and two Munich goals later they found themselves losing on the away goals rule. Five goals in total and every one of them a cracker.

None of this year's Champions League contenders from the EPL were able to strengthen in the summer (finances catching up).
You cannot just let players like Ronaldo and Alonso go, not invest in replacements and expect to be able to stay at the same high level.

I might have a few pennies on Inter to go on and win it now.

I am thinking of putting some money on Bayern.

None of this year's Champions League contenders from the EPL were able to strengthen in the summer (finances catching up).
You cannot just let players like Ronaldo and Alonso go, not invest in replacements and expect to be able to stay at the same high level.

Although it should be noted that Real Madrid bought both Alonso and Ronaldo (as well as Benzema and Kaka) and still couldn't make it to the quarter finals.

Although it should be noted that Real Madrid bought both Alonso and Ronaldo (as well as Benzema and Kaka) and still couldn't make it to the quarter finals.

Indeed, you could also add that Lyon consistently have to sell their best players and yet perform well year in year out in the CL.

I think the English success over the last few years though has been built on a few common ingredients

a) Solid defence
b) Playing the game at a very high tempo
c) Two or three special players.

Messi > Ribery & Robben

I wish Inter would take it though.