10 billion X 10 trillion multiplied by another 10000 trillion < infinity

• Start date
  • Replies 66 Comments
  • Views 4,269 Views
yeah something doesn't seem right about the way we look at time maybe. I think in the original thesis the notion is that from our stand point (being dead) all eternity passes in an instant and we're back to where we started.
I mean I hope this isn't true. My life has been more or less decent, but I don't particularly want to keep reliving it. What about all the terrible lives?

Yeah, I get the theory, I just don't see why this would be the case. What is the point/purpose of everything repeating itself over and over? I think multiverse theory makes far more sense than just one universe repeating over and over.

Good place to drop this comic though, which is the genesis of the "theory":

I find it plausible, or at least thought provoking that since there can be no beginning or end to time (as I understand it) a cycle makes sense. Kinda like the earth is round

I find it plausible, or at least thought provoking that since there can be no beginning or end to time (as I understand it) a cycle makes sense. Kinda like the earth is round

Yeah, that's certainly fair! Your guess is as good as mine.

I just tend to think when our minds can't possibly comprehend something (like the infinite stretch of time or space), it's easier for us to wrap it up with a nice bow into something easier for our monkey brains to understand. The vastness of time, that can't possibly have a beginning or end, and what HAPPENS "before time" or "after time"? Blows our minds. Time being one nice big circle/cycle? Yes, that feels more comforting.

I like the idea of a cyclical universe, i.e. the Big Crunch model that triggers a new Big Bang followed by another Crunch, etc. The universe as one giant beating heart. Science doesn't support that idea though.

This place is about as fun as a family BBQ. Politics, current events, religion.

Yeah im an atheist and I don't really care what anyone else believes as long as they're not fervent about it. I try not to waste any energy on trivial matters such as religion or politics. Whose got time for this shit?

I’m in the Boner Camp on this one

This entire thread has made my head hurt and triggered anxiety.

RJ, this thread needs a MPAA rating or some parental advisory for triggered dullards like myself.

Yeah, that's certainly fair! Your guess is as good as mine.

I just tend to think when our minds can't possibly comprehend something (like the infinite stretch of time or space), it's easier for us to wrap it up with a nice bow into something easier for our monkey brains to understand. The vastness of time, that can't possibly have a beginning or end, and what HAPPENS "before time" or "after time"? Blows our minds. Time being one nice big circle/cycle? Yes, that feels more comforting.
Time is also a construct that we created in an attempt to understand things. So I don't think there's anything simpleton or immodest in attempting to extrapolate the notion of time.

"The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can't believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes."

-Stephen Hawking

"The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can't believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes."

-Stephen Hawking
UNFUCKINGREAL! Hawking (that cunt) plagiarized my quote!

These videos were interesting. Tremendous thinkers and extremely intelligent.