• Start date
  • Replies 34 Comments
  • Views 1,100 Views

Badnina

Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
http://espn.go.com/college-football...rn-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

"In a potentially game-changing moment for college athletics, the Chicago district of the National Labor Relations Board ruled on Wednesday that Northwestern football players qualify as employees of the university and can unionize.

NLRB regional director Peter Sung Ohr cited the players' time commitment to their sport and the fact that their scholarships were tied directly to their performance as reasons for granting them union rights.

Ohr wrote in his ruling that the players "fall squarely within the [National Labor Relations] Act's broad definition of 'employee' when one considers the common law definition of 'employee.'"

Ohr ruled that the players can hold a vote on whether they want to be represented by the College Athletes Players Association, which brought the case to the NLRB along with former Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter and the United Steelworkers union.

"I couldn't be more happy and grateful for today's ruling, though it is the ruling we expected," said Ramogi Huma, president of both the National College Players Assn, a nonprofit advocacy group that has been around since 2001, and the College Athletes Players Association, the union that would represent the players and was formed in January.

"I just have so much respect for Kain and the football players who stood up in unity to take this on. They love their university but they think it's important to exercise rights under labor law.

"The NCAA invented the term student athlete to prevent the exact ruling that was made today. For 60 years, people have bought into their notion that they are students only. The reality is, players are employees and today's ruling confirms that. The players are one giant step closer to justice."

Northwestern issued a statement shortly after the ruling saying it would appeal to the full NLRB in Washington, D.C.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it," the statement read. "Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes."

CAPA supporters, meanwhile, celebrated the news. Colter tweeted: "This is a HUGE win for ALL college athletes!"

"Amazing victory for college athletes," said Tim Waters, national political director for United Steelworkers. "USW has said all along that these athletes are in fact employees and now the NLRB has agreed. Athletes have tried every way possible to get a seat at the table and this was the only avenue they were left with. We expect the ruling will withstand any appeal."

Colter, whose eligibility has been exhausted and who has entered the NFL draft, said nearly all of the 85 scholarship players on the Wildcats roster backed the union bid, though only he expressed his support publicly. The United Steelworkers union has been footing the legal bills."

there's more. You can read it.

ShitHitsFanMediumT.png

I have mixed feelings on this. I believe that college football players should be paid. They do get scholarships but they can't have a part time job like other students. And those that come from poor families don't have money for the basics of life, not to mention dating and stuff like that. But on the other hand I don't like the idea of the Steel Workers Union being the money backing this either nor the prospect of a college football strike.

Maybe it'll finally force schools to be schools and sports organizations to be sports organizations. This notion of "student-athlete" is a joke. Division I guys are professional athletes.

The big problem will be the non-revenue sports. Just as big a deal as money is the colleges steering students to worthless degrees so it doesn't interfere with practice time.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of professional collegiate athletics in the US. What a perverse system.

Just allow professional basketball and football franchises to set up academies in the same way professional soccer clubs all over the globe do it.

hmm. they do? I did not know that. but yes, fockers should be paid one way or another.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of professional collegiate athletics in the US. What a perverse system.

Just allow professional basketball and football franchises to set up academies in the same way professional soccer clubs all over the globe do it.

The pro leagues don't want to do that. They are getting a free minor league system right now.

The pro leagues don't want to do that. They are getting a free minor league system right now.

not to mention the big schools that make huge bank off of football and basketball

this Northwestern thing is going NO WHERE

so its all moot anyways

not to mention the big schools that make huge bank off of football and basketball

this Northwestern thing is going NO WHERE

so its all moot anyways

I think it's scratching the surface. This case is a lawyer's wet dream. It could be as simple as making the universities make the commitment to their end of the deal when offering scholarships (which cost them little) to the sky's the limit.

I think it's scratching the surface. This case is a lawyer's wet dream. It could be as simple as making the universities make the commitment to their end of the deal when offering scholarships (which cost them little) to the sky's the limit.

so from what i've heard, (mostly from ass hate Burnstein on 670 the score)

this would only apply to private institutions/schools right?

and in this case only NU

I don't think it has legs

will be interesting how this could affect recruiting for northwestern sports going forward

so from what i've heard, (mostly from ass hate Burnstein on 670 the score)

this would only apply to private institutions/schools right?

and in this case only NU

I don't think it has legs

will be interesting how this could affect recruiting for northwestern sports going forward

I missed most of their show. I'm sure they had Stewart Ham on, will look on the website for the podcast.

What happens if the players go on strike before the game? Can the school lock them out of their dorms since they provide for their housing? This is stupid.

What happens if the players go on strike before the game? Can the school lock them out of their dorms since they provide for their housing? This is stupid.

What is stupid is flying them all over and not giving them something. Everyone is making money but them.

This is the tip of the iceberg. A bunch of stuff is going to change real soon.

Hopefully there will be some good old-fashioned chaos.

If, as the judge ruled, the players qualify as employees with the scholarships, does that not then make the scholarship taxable income?

If, as the judge ruled, the players qualify as employees with the scholarships, does that not then make the scholarship taxable income?

That will be another big decision. If they will be taxed on that, you will see minor leagues for these sports.