• Replies 232 Comments
  • Views 12,585 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
As we approach the gold medal game and a new entry on this list, I felt some historical perspective was called for.

This era of hockey began with the Canada-Russia hockey series of 1972. It was a coming out for the Soviets and signaled the beginning of true globalization of the game at the highest level. While Canada won that 1972 series it does not count here because it was only 2 countries. International hockey had of course existed for a long time prior to that, but always involving mish-mashes of plucky 2nd and 3rd rate players:

These are the tournaments where countries could send their very best players:

1976 Canada Cup
Winner: Canada
Runner-up: Czechoslovakia

1981 Canada Cup
Winner: Soviet Union
Runner-up: Canada

1984 Canada Cup
Runner-up: Sweden

1987 Canada Cup
Runner-up: Soviet Union

1991 Canada Cup
Runner-up: USA

1996 World Cup:
Winner: USA

1998 Olympics (Nagano)
Winner: Czech Republic
Runner-up: Russia

2002 Olympics (Salt Lake City)

2006 Olympics (Turin)
Winner: Sweden
Runner-up: Finland

2010 Olympics (Vancouver)

2014 Olympics (Sochi)
Winner: ???
Runner-up: ???

I don't think Canada won shit outside of North America. This would be a 1st.

Soviet teams spanked Canada regularly.

The wins in North America count. Put on more tourneys elsewhere and we'll go. We went to Russia in 72 and won. We went to Nagano. We went to Turin. We are in Russia now.

The list is the list.

Yeah, but your list is misleading. And I do wish there was more international competition. I dont understand why there isnt. I'm guessing it has much to do with politics of club teams, contracts etc. Hard to look forward to pointless nhl games after excitement of int play.

Personally I dont agree that nhl players participation = best of the best.
The level of play in the nhl olympics has been less than awe inspiring imo.
'87 Canada Cup yes, some of the greatest hockey I ever saw.
'81 of course was a 6-1 burial.

I would suggest screw the nhl. Every country get a national team that plays together regularly. It seems that in this format of the tournament by the time teams start to gel its over.

Well that's one of those things that's easy to say from an armchair but every hockey person in the world in a decision-making position seems to come to the same conclusion: send the NHLers. They must believe it gives them the best chance to win.

I also think you have selective memory about the level of play. There has been some fantastic hockey at the last few Olympics.

I would also prefer to scrap the NHL and just have national teams and a meaningful yearly World Championship - but that is fantasyland.

This list is what we actually got. Seems like there is a fair chance the NHL will not be going to South Korea in 2018 and we will be back to World Cups. Maybe European countries will take more of a leadership role.

:clueless:

If you're talking about the final game of the 1981 Canada Cup tournament, it was 8-1.

Well, I'm curious to see how Canada does against Sweden. In the past Canada was able to avoid them, and those Swedish teams were better than the one today imo. (another thing that sucks about current Olympics, the format)

The level of play in the nhl olympics has been less than awe inspiring imo.
'87 Canada Cup yes, some of the greatest hockey I ever saw.

I would suggest screw the nhl. Every country get a national team that plays together regularly. It seems that in this format of the tournament by the time teams start to gel its over.

Do you have the same stance for soccer? Just curious here.

I don't know much about the state of international soccer. Sounds that they are doing much better with various competitions of top teams.

Lets at least have a nhl champion play khl champ. Or have the top teams in every league compete in a tournament.

I don't know much about the state of international soccer. Sounds that they are doing much better with various competitions of top teams.

Lets at least have a nhl champion play khl champ. Or have the top teams in every league compete in a tournament.

That would be interesting.

just so we don't forget

The Super Series were exhibition games between Soviet teams and NHL teams that took place on each NHL opponents' home ice in North America from 1976 to 1991. The Soviet teams were usually club teams from the Soviet hockey league. The exception was in 1983, when the Soviet National Team represented the Soviet Union. The Soviet teams won 14 of the series and the NHL won 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Series

How about Olympic hoops or wish football would be an Olympic sport.

Very pleased to update this list

1976 Canada Cup
Runner-up: Czechoslovakia

1981 Canada Cup
Winner: Soviet Union

1984 Canada Cup

1987 Canada Cup
Runner-up: Soviet Union

1991 Canada Cup

1996 World Cup:
Winner: USA

1998 Olympics (Nagano)
Winner: Czech Republic
Runner-up: Russia

2002 Olympics (Salt Lake City)

2006 Olympics (Turin)
Winner: Sweden
Runner-up: Finland

2010 Olympics (Vancouver)

2014 Olympics (Sochi)

One of the announcers commented towards the end of today's gold medal game how this Canadian team was one of the greatest ever assembled. Of course in the glow of the moment it felt like a good thought.

But damn there have been some teams. That 1984 team which was an amalgamation of the outgoing Islanders dynasty with the Oilers who were at the start of the next juggernaut. Holy fuck. Still, it took overtime to defeat the Russians in the semi. Of course the 87 team had Gretzky and Lemieux cruising around together. That was okay.

Must sound weird to young people. Islanders and Oilers dynasties.

So the next chapter in best-on-best international hockey - is the 2016 World Cup. Huge thing on my personal sports horizon.

Sept 17 - Oct 1, 2016
Air Canada Centre, Toronto

The news today was that Rogers and TVA have been awarded the exclusive English/French rights for Canada.

ESPN has exclusive media rights in the USA.

Some weirdness with the nature of the field. The wrinkle is that it is an 8 team field, but after the obvious 6 hockey powers - Canada, USA, Russia, Czech, Finland, Sweden - the last two teams will be comprised of a team made up of young stars from North America, and an All-Star team of international players from countries not included in the initial six.

A lot of criticism and hostility about those "All-star" teams. I'm trying to remember if I have heard anyone besides Gary Bettman say anything positive.

I myself am less bilious than most (but nevertheless feel that it is not the best way to go.)

So anyway, this will happen.

that is odd. Idea of talented people who would better serve the community by sitting at home and staring at ceiling.

Those "All-star" teams could definitely do some damage. If a Switzerland or Germany team can occasionally jump up and bite someone on the ass, a collection of all the best Swiss + Germans + Slovaks + I dunno, isn't there a Slovenian in the NHL? Seems like they should not just be a walkover.

Is that interesting? Sort of.

But I'd rather just have Switzerland and Germany (or whoever qualifies. Set some criteria and have a #7 and 8 country.)

Great idea until your player gets hurt and is out for the season.