• Views 634 Views

betplom

RPM
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Seafood is often falsely labelled, study finds

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-falsely-labelled-study-finds/article8912618/

Seafood fraud is rampant in the United States, where one third of fish samples were mislabelled, according to a new report based on Canadian lab testing.

The study by Oceana, a sea-life conservation group, found that consumers were regularly hoodwinked into buying seafood that was not as advertised. For instance, fish sold as white tuna was often escolar, so-called Atlantic cod was either Pacific cod or white hake, and snapper was a false label for a long list of inferior substitutes, including seabream, tilapia or rockfish.

Among the study’s findings:

• Sushi restaurants had the highest rates of mislabelling, at 74 per cent. Grocery stores were the best, with 44 per cent selling mislabelled fish.

• Snapper was the most commonly mislabelled species, at 87 per cent. And only seven of 120 red snapper samples tested were as advertised.

• 84 per cent of white tuna samples were actually escolar, which can cause digestive problems.

• Cheaper farmed fish are often substituted for wild species, such as tilapia sold as red snapper and Atlantic farmed salmon sold as wild or king salmon.

• Overfished and vulnerable species were also sold instead of more sustainable choices, such as Atlantic halibut masquerading as Pacific halibut.

• Fish with high levels of mercury, which should not be eaten by pregnant women and children, were sometimes sold under the guise of safer fish. For instance, consumers in New York City who selected red snapper and halibut were instead sold tilefish.

• Southern California had the highest rates of fraud, at 52 per cent of samples.

who's responsible for this :cop:

and is this mostly at the deli or in packaged form?

fish from a deli?

:facepalm:

Delicatessen in many parts of the world often sell their foods by weight such as cured meats, head cheese, sausages, ham, liverwurst, salami and other cold cuts, fried chicken, spare ribs, cold salads, pickled vegetables, dips, breads and olives. A supermarket may provide its own "deli" food, or even operate a delicatessen on-site. Like a supermarket, a delicatessen may also offer a selection of shelved food, often of the type that is not likely to be kept for more than a day.

Large Delicatessen stores or Deli shops sell cold cuts and meats, but the luxury food division includes confectionery, fine spirits, wines, exclusive cheeses, truffled pt, caviar, foie gras, high quality coffee beans, fruit, spices, herbs, specialty breads, exclusive sweets, cookies, honey, tea and luxury handmade chocolate.

i have had enough

this must stop

as a consumer - i am steaming at this

fucking fake ass fish

fuck tilapia

yeah kato, tilapia is one of those 1984 like things. Everyone is trying to pass it off now, substitute it for decent fish, and the implication is its normal and always been here. Of course 15 years ago it didnt exist and nobody mentions what happened.

Plommer in America you go to a grocery store there is a deli counter where you can pick out fresh fish, same for meats cheese etc... Or you can get frozen prepacked, labeled by manufacturer. thats what I mean

Reno, in America you pick fish, in Russia fish pick you!

Big seafood fans here, this is very disappointing. The percentiles are disturbing but what if you re that one family that has a kid not come out right (i.e. like myself) because of Mercury poisoning because of this fraudulent activity? Basically untraceable, and messed up.

my first thought was did the folks who conducted this study report the offenders to authorities?

my second thought is i have no sympathy for the ignorance of most when it comes to what they're putting in their bodies. like the issue with the honey, buying straight from the source or at least knowing the source, the better off you're going to be.

If you buy beef patties there is a big chance you are eating donkey, horse or mule meat.