RogueScholar What do you think of Oregon St. tonight?

• Start date
  • Replies 4 Comments
  • Views 610 Views

AMBy

Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I was thinking about playing them...would love to hear your thoughts.

Well AMBy, obviously I'm on the Beavers tonight, but just a couple units on the ML. Honestly, it's not a play I'd share with my friends because if there's any value in this game it honestly lies with Wazzu. The Cougs are a great defensive team and have players that can knock down jumpers inside the Beavers unusual 1-3-1 base defense. Klay Thompson can hit fire from beyond the arc, and new WSU coach Ken Bone (who I'm extraordinarily well-acquainted with from his time at Portland St.) loves to push the tempo and emphasize the transition game against other defensive teams.

Not to say that the Beavers aren't ready for a fight, we got completely screwed in the first meeting with Wazzu this season by horrid officiating. We've found a rhythm again with the Princeton offense, and all that ball movement w/ back screens makes it easy for us to get our shooters open looks at the basket. We'll be starting Deane and Cunningham who are the fast-break and rebounding elements of our team this year, and the goal seems to be to match fire with fire against Bone's predictable attempts to play quick for extra possessions. I want to believe that we'll win because there's so much parity in the Pac-10 and the home crowds have been superb lately, but at the current ML prices it's a no-value play and I wouldn't even consider the spread.

My play for the game is OVER 122 (-108 @ BetPho) for all of the reasons I mentioned above. This is a huge battle for seeding in the conference tourney next week as the Beavers could still finish 3rd in the Pac-10 and they desperately want to move up into 6th to get a first round bye. You're at least going to get maximum effort for 40 minutes from two very evenly-matched teams. OT is likely, as is one team scoring 70 in regulation. That's what I would counsel someone to play in this game.

Thanks for the input...I thought Oregon St. was tough at home and wazzou was dreadful on the road so it would be a the perfect storm.

That's not a bad generalization, but in the context of this Northwest rivalry, the visiting team has always had the most success. That didn't hold last month when we lost in Pullman, so hopefully we can continue to reverse that trend and defend the homecourt tonight.