• Replies 41 Comments
  • Views 3,519 Views

IAG

R.E.M. enthusiast
Since
Apr 9, 2010
Score
Tokens
How much per month do you spend on your pet's food? With Pogo's blood sugar all over the place, the vet and I are trying to get his meals stabilized. He won't eat dry food on schedule which is needed to give him his insulin.

He weighs about 30 lbs. The "instructions" on the Caesar's wet food trays I buy say that you should give 4 trays for every 10 lbs...seriously...12 of those per day? They are .80 each. This seems like a lot of money for dog food to me..and a lot of work. There's got to be a better way. I will try mixing with dry food...I

t used to be I would just put the dry food down and when he got hungry enough he would eat it, but since the diabetes diagnoses I am unable to do that.

Another gripping thread brought to you by IAG.

But seriously...Matty's post about $10 per day for lunch got me thinking and $9.60 per day on dog food seems really high to me?

Dogs are one of the more expensive pets to feed. I have a cat(8 pounds), that I feed once per day. The canned food I buy costs 40 cents and he get's 3 servings out of it. So it's costs me $4-$5 a month to feed him. I had a Dalmatian 10 years ago that my parents would buy a 20lb bag of food a week for. At the time I think the bag costed around $28.

We spend at least $150-$200 per month on dry dog food for our two large dogs. My older dog doesn't eat on a schedule either. She might go a day without eating and then eat the following day. I would have a hard time dealing with giving her insulin.

my little shits are on Wellness brand right now...

IAG
How much per month do you spend on your pet's food? With Pogo's blood sugar all over the place, the vet and I are trying to get his meals stabilized. He won't eat dry food on schedule which is needed to give him his insulin.

He weighs about 30 lbs. The "instructions" on the Caesar's wet food trays I buy say that you should give 4 trays for every 10 lbs...seriously...12 of those per day? They are .80 each. This seems like a lot of money for dog food to me..and a lot of work. There's got to be a better way. I will try mixing with dry food...I

t used to be I would just put the dry food down and when he got hungry enough he would eat it, but since the diabetes diagnoses I am unable to do that.

Another gripping thread brought to you by IAG.

But seriously...Matty's post about $10 per day for lunch got me thinking and $9.60 per day on dog food seems really high to me?

It probably, on average, doesn't even cost me $3.50/day to fee my own children. Anyone who spends $10/day to feed a pet is absolutely insane and should have their head checked. Especially if it's a cat.

It probably, on average, doesn't even cost me $3.50/day to fee my own children. Anyone who spends $10/day to feed a pet is absolutely insane and should have their head checked. Especially if it's a cat.
Agreed....I was only giving him 2-3 trays per day but when the insulin problems creeped up I looked at the actual instructions and was like wtf..12 of these?? That can't be right. If that were the case, wouldn't they also just make them larger and fewer packages?
I think there is no way I can feed him for under $3.00 per day with feedings needing to be scheduled....and that's going to be on the lowest feasible end.
Add that to the weekly vet visits...fok.

The other problem is they don't have calorie info on may of the foods also. When I mentioned to the vet that I was not prepared to be spending close to $10 per day feeding him, she didn't react so I thought maybe it was me who was off in her thinking. Putting down dry food was the easiest/cheapest..but again, no longer an option.

The vet did think also that maybe the reason he was acting out/barking was because he wasn't getting enough food...which may be true since I started kenneling him when feeding mom...I think she was supplementing a lot of his caloric needs.

Dogs are one of the more expensive pets to feed. I have a cat(8 pounds), that I feed once per day. The canned food I buy costs 40 cents and he get's 3 servings out of it. So it's costs me $4-$5 a month to feed him. I had a Dalmatian 10 years ago that my parents would buy a 20lb bag of food a week for. At the time I think the bag costed around $28.
I think I'll give serious consideration to a cat the next time around...but I know the barkers will probably win out.

We spend at least $150-$200 per month on dry dog food for our two large dogs. My older dog doesn't eat on a schedule either. She might go a day without eating and then eat the following day. I would have a hard time dealing with giving her insulin.
Yes..that's how Pogo was...I HAD to go to wet food to get him to even consider eating on demand.

$25 a month for our dog for food and $50 on raw hide bones.

I don't want to go all therapist on you because Capser will get mad at me, but maybe your dog...... forget it.

$25 a month for our dog for food and $50 on raw hide bones.
What kind of food? How much does your dog weigh? Vet said she is not particularly concerned with brand, but more getting on a consistent routine.

I don't want to go all therapist on you because Capser will get mad at me, but maybe your dog...... forget it.

:lmao: post of the day :up:

IAG
What kind of food? How much does your dog weigh? Vet said she is not particularly concerned with brand, but more getting on a consistent routine.
Purina Dog Chow Light & Healthy. She ways 60 lbs. We give her 1 lb per day.

Purina Dog Chow Light & Healthy. She ways 60 lbs. We give her 1 lb per day.
Well hell...then P dog should be able to get by with 1/3 lb a day plus 2 trays of "the good stuff." That would be reasonable.

Thank you all for your input.

Ray, I didn't know you had doggies, can we see a picture?

Pucky play nice!