• Replies 6 Comments
  • Views 627 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I have only started to get deeply into the college hoops this year so this is probably a rookie-ish question but here goes:

Are there conference tournaments starting now? Do they all start at once or is it staggered?

It is important because the way I process data, I differentiate between playoff and regular season data. My research has shown me that is prudent. I also differentiate between HOME/AWAY games and I assume the tournaments will sometimes produce neutral site match-ups (???)

Can anyone educate me on what happens now with this stuff?

It's very much staggered, as the shitty conferences start this weekend with their tourneys while the big boys have their last weekend of regular season games. Most of the major conferences will start up their tourneys this coming Tuesday or Wednesday. The smaller conference often have one school host the whole thing, so they're not really neutral sites. Even with the bigger conferences, like the Pac-10, they use the Staples Center in L.A. every year, which makes it essentially a home game anytime UCLA or USC plays.

Yes they've started in some smaller conferences (CAA, MAAC, WCC). Most aren't till next week.

Mudcat, go here to see dates and location of conference tourneys.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball

Go down to dates, sites, and brackets and click it. Some conferences (ex. ACC) can't be clicked to see the bracket because it can't be determined who's playing who because the season isn't over yet!

Thanks a lot guys. That is excellent information.

right, home/away splits are obviously a huge deal in the regular season, and many teams and conferences have idiosyncratic home/away situations that are important to at least be aware of

in the conf tourneys, it's much much much more murky, and again, the best is to be aware of the idiosyncrasies of each conference's tourneys

this is especially true (and especially profitable) when doing 2H lines

for the record, I LOVE college hoops 2h lines

they're the only lines I happily bet full juice and low limits because there are so many with solid value, I love just hitting them one after another

I simply stop betting when the playoffs start (of all sports). Not that that is an absolute policy - but the way I sort data, I just never seem to find profitable playoff angles. Efforts in that direction have been so unproductive in the past that I will probably just stop my daily collection of NCAAB data right now and devote the considerable time it has been taking toward other things which experience suggests will be more rewarding.

But it is possible I may find some very good stuff on playoffs down the road. Who knows?

2nd halfs are something I would be interested in researching (all sports) but it is one of many, many things on my back burner.

So many ideas, so little time.