Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,729 Comments
  • Views 932,366 Views
I'm surprised that anyone on here could hate Uncut Gems. Does not compute. Even if you're not a degenerate gambler yourself, you likely know some of them and probably understand their mentality. The relentless recklessness can be awe-inspiring.

Also, if you don't like Tarantino, you just don't like cinema. Go read a cookbook or some shit.

I was just referring to boner's criteria of POS characters - Tarantino's movies has them in spades. Fuck Adam Sandler and his whiny, high-pitched voice. And there is more to cinema than Hollywood. It's not just fucking Matrix.

I wouldn't say I hated Uncut Gems but it was pretty much of a relentless why-am-I-watching-this? for me. One big extended shrug.

I'm surprised that anyone on here could hate Uncut Gems. Does not compute. Even if you're not a degenerate gambler yourself, you likely know some of them and probably understand their mentality. The relentless recklessness can be awe-inspiring.

Also, if you don't like Tarantino, you just don't like cinema. Go read a cookbook or some shit.
Exactly on all points.

Tarantino movies don't qualify in the category im talking about because they're so fantastical no one actually cringes at anything the characters do. Indeed you're usually routing for the "bad guys" and laughing at their exploits. There's nothing really (meaning realistically) bad in a Tarantino.

Love love love Tarantino and also almost walked out of Uncut Gems.

What type of psychopath am I?

Promising Young Woman is a pretty major contrivance but it definitely never lost my attention.

iu

Tarantino movies don't qualify in the category im talking about because they're so fantastical no one actually cringes at anything the characters do. Indeed you're usually routing for the "bad guys" and laughing at their exploits. There's nothing really (meaning realistically) bad in a Tarantino.

I hope you are not writing contracts.

Sorry. Maybe ill consult you @Vagybond next time I come up with an opinion about movies and maybe ill call you while working my 9-5 as well.

In a related category but not as far down on the list for me is the film or series where everyone is just an unrelenting piece of shit. Each successive character and plot point is worse than the last. Cant think of an example, but no thanks.

And as I write that I feel like that describes Seinfeld (which I love)... maybe the fact that its unabashed comedy and not trying to pass itself off as some introspective about the human condition?

Agree with all of this and I'm generally the same. My favorites are usually shows that have ultimately have a lot of heart.

That said, everyone is a complete piece of shit in Succession, and it's one of my favorite things from the last couple years.

Jered Leto has a new movie coming out with Denzel Washington called "The Little Things".

Real character, that Leto guy. Big time actor, makes a ton of cash doing that and his band which has a cult teenage girl following.

What does he allegedly do with his fame? Dude likes them YOUNG. Banging 17 year olds but wait - asks them to say that they're 14 while doing it. Roughs them up. Has a contest for his band where if you're the big winner, you get to sleep over his house.

Uhh, yeah. What a guy.

Gonna try the British show Back to Life.

Here's the blurb: After 18 years behind bars, Miri Matteson returns home and stumbles back into adult life in the claustrophobic coastal town she once knew in this half-hour comedy series. Miri attempts to rekindle old relationships, make new ones, look for work and readjust to life outside, while desperately waiting for the world to forget about what happened on that fateful night.

I've heard it is somewhat comparable to Fleabag which I liked.

There was a 6 episode 1st season and season 2 is just coming out.

As for WandaVision, I'm still going with it. Amidst the intentional comic stupidity, there is something subtle and sneaky going on. I'm intrigued.

I've got a feeling though that once they fully reveal what's up, I will fully lose interest. I suspect we'll be plunked squarely in the Marvel universe which I lost interest in around the second Iron Man movie.

These are exactly my expectations for WandaVision, as well.

It's just too impeccably well done to look away from at the moment.

Out of the Furnace - Talk about a morbid flick. Christian Bale and Casey Affleck are brothers in this very dark tale of corruption, violence, drugs, etc. based in rural Pennsylvania. Woody Harrelson is a COMPLETE ahole. Good suspense, solid action, excellent plot development.

8.0 Steviestars

Gonna try the British show Back to Life.

I've heard it is somewhat comparable to Fleabag which I liked.

Yeah I don't think it's just somewhat comparable to Fleabag, I think it's a conscious attempt to imitate it.

I mean structurally. Not detail-for-detail, but thematically.

Anyway, it fails IMO. There are pretty big problems with motivations, actions that don't ring true. It's not nearly as funny.

I finished season 1 but won't bother with #2.