Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,258 Views
Funny. I just did a google search of who has been revealed on The Masked Dancer, expecting a list of D-listers, has-beens etc.

One of them was Bill Nye.

Like Noam Chomsky, that might actually have drawn me in.

To be fair, they tend to be high-profile has-beens. But yeah, anyone with a flourishing career has no time for this (highly entertaining) nonsense.

The most recent episode of Your Honor was pretty damn good IMO. It's an intricately woven thing with many components. I keep expecting loose ends to fly off and prove to be filler or red herrings - but actually it keeps getting tighter.

Very clever writing.

Awesome acting as well.

Best stuff on tv these days and NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE AT ALL.

I rewatched the 2011 movie 50/50.

I rewatch lots of movies and don't bother commenting on them but on this I have to say: that is a damn good movie.

I watched the first couple episodes of WandaVision. I'm not sure what's going on but it's something.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is playing on AMC and I'm hooked yet again. I first saw it in theaters when it came out over 20 years ago and it was one of the most perfect pieces of American cinema I'd ever seen. It very much still is.

All-time fave. Infinitely rewatchable.

9.7 Matty Rains out of a possible 10

My prediction, regarding Your Honor, is that the quiet little black brother is going to do something major before it's all over. Not just some little gesture - a BIG difference maker.

Sometimes there is a movie and it's just a bummer.

It's showing a situation which is a bummer and that's exactly what it wants to do. There is no tacked on happy ending or gratuitous action. It's just a close-up look at an honest-to-god bummer.

There can be genuine insight. Sometimes the characters will have interesting, moving things to say about their situation.

The cinematic values may be very high. And of course there can be very good actors portraying the bummer remarkably well, making you feel quite bad about it all.

The question is: is that a good movie? For me, the answer is no.

But if that sounds appealing to anyone: Nomadland.

Also nominating Manchester by the Sea.

Eighth Grade is like that. Chock full of truth, no doubt, but just kind of unrelentingly bummerish (although - spoiler alert - it does have an ending that is so sweet - in a super obvious way but still nice - that it brought tears to my eyes.)

Still an overall thumbs down for me. Just zero rewatchability. I don't actively seek out discomfort and bummed-out-ness.

I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Frances McDormand gets another Oscar nom for Nomadland. I wouldn't object or disagree. She's great.

I ain't never gonna watch it again though.

I agree with @Mudcat about something!

In a related category but not as far down on the list for me is the film or series where everyone is just an unrelenting piece of shit. Each successive character and plot point is worse than the last. Cant think of an example, but no thanks.

And as I write that I feel like that describes Seinfeld (which I love)... maybe the fact that its unabashed comedy and not trying to pass itself off as some introspective about the human condition?

How can rewatchability(sic) be the criteria for a good movie? As for depiction of bleakness in movies, not every film can be harry potter /superman/ spiderman / batman and all that comic book shit or something like The Shawshank Redemption where the good guy wins.

In a related category but not as far down on the list for me is the film or series where everyone is just an unrelenting piece of shit. Each successive character and plot point is worse than the last. Cant think of an example, but no thanks.

That movie with Adam Sandler as the gambler. Tarantino films may qualify too.