Happy 81st Birthday Willie Mays

• Start date
  • Replies 150 Comments
  • Views 11,912 Views
Winning = narrating what you want OTHER people to think.

:redx:

You lose.

This whole discussion was about a message board poster winning or losing?

isnt that the entire point of the internet?

interesting

but yeah so tough to compare eras.

so many variables.

but there is no doubt in my mind, that if you took a guy like Pujols as a 21 year old and put him in a time machine and put him back in 1910 as a rookie, that he'd hit about 1100 HRS and hit close to .500 every year.

a fifth starter on the Pirates would be Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson's rival.

just a complete different game

IDK about pitchers from then to now Archie. They pretty much pitched 8-9 innings every 4th day. They also could throw spitballs. The best pitchers three 300+ innings in the early 70s still. It woul be a very short list outside of Halladay who could handle that workload.

Whatevs. I actually learned a lot about Mays/Williams/Bonds and Ruth both from posters and my own research

Really not concerned about winning. I was wrong about Mays being the greatest ever (still contend he's top 5).

I'm of the opinion that Bonds and Williams are real close at the top.

IDK about pitchers from then to now Archie. They pretty much pitched 8-9 innings every 4th day. They also could throw spitballs. The best pitchers three 300+ innings in the early 70s still. It woul be a very short list outside of Halladay who could handle that workload.

no doubt, that pitchers are babied now...and I don't believe they need to be.

but I bet the injury rate was just as prevalent in the old days. back then baseball players weren't huge investments to be protected and coddled. They were cheap horses to be saddled and to use for plowing and get as much work out of that you could.

like I said before a million variables.

but give a guy like greg maddux the HUGH strike zone they woulda had in the 20's or Randy Johnson off the higher pitcher's mound and tell me they wouldn't be dominant

Your comparison was the Pirates 4-5th starters being the equal of Walter Johnson, now you changed it to Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson.

good point

but i'd go as far as to say that top prospect HS and College Pitchers would be dominant in 1920.

the avaiable talent pool is just sooo much larger

FW, did you hear on the score this morning they were talking about Hoss Radbourne..... he had like 70-some complete games one year!

I remember reading Yogi Berra's book. He made it sound like he was good at baseball so he played for the Yankees. He's brothers would have played in the majors too if their father let them. :dunno:

It's a shame that now a days you have to be a freak of nature AND have a ridiculous diet, work out, steroid routine just to have a chance at the pros. Sports have gotten too big.

It's a shame that now a days you have to be a freak of nature AND have a ridiculous diet, work out, steroid routine just to have a chance at the pros. Sports have gotten too big.

wonder how this guy woulda done in the post modern beisbol era????

ted_williams_-_jimmie_foxx_1938.gif

dog-williams-jp-2-popup.jpg

wonder how this guy woulda done in the post modern beisbol era????

ted_williams_-_jimmie_foxx_1938.gif

dog-williams-jp-2-popup.jpg

What's with the personal collection of baseball players in their underwear?

Are you trying to imply that he's not as big as most players today? He had natural talent as a hitter far beyond anyone to ever play. Do you actually think that he wouldn't be administering the same weight training and nutrition regimens as players today if he played in this era?

Last edited: